Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of members changing tire vertical profiles, but has anyone changed to wider tires? My 2020 Sportage S came with 225 wide Michelins. Would going with wider tires, maybe 235 or 245, make a big difference?

·
Registered
2013 LX & 2020 EX KIA Sportages
79 Posts
I see a lot of members changing tire vertical profiles, but has anyone changed to wider tires? My 2020 Sportage S came with 225 wide Michelins. Would going with wider tires, maybe 235 or 245, make a big difference?
My 2013 & 2020 both have 225's, But the 2013 is 16" where the 2020 is 18". I never believed in wider tires. We live in the snow belt and I have found factory narrower tires have performed better in snow on my trucks and Jeep wrangler. Not sure what you need to accomplish as a difference ? The 2013 Sportage runs Blizzak's year round. They last 2 years due to their soft compound designed for traction. If you want a tire for performance traction I like Falken Azenis FK510 and even Uniroyal Tiger Paw GTZ tires. Can't see why a performance tire would be needed on a Sportage. Road rally race maybe. Wider tires are a mere appearance thing.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,152 Posts
Wider tires in an SUV provide no benefit unless you are going to lower the car and autocross/race it for lateral traction under high g's. You would not have purchased this car to race it on a track. Other than that, you will get less mpg and less traction in snow and wet conditions with wider tires. In other words, don't do it. You can choose tires that have less road noise than the OEM tires, but Michelins are quite good -- even the OEM versions. That said, wait until your tires get old before replacing them.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage SX AWD and 1988 Mercedes 300CE
384 Posts
Wider tires on any car, including a SUV, can reduce sidewall rollover and add tread width (both of which improve dry weather handling).

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,152 Posts
Wider tires on any car, including a SUV, can reduce sidewall rollover and add tread width (both of which improve dry weather handling).
This is just not true. You won't get virtually any more sidewall rollover at 35psi and it won't improve dry weather handling unless you push the car to its limits on a race track. And then, only a race driver could tell the difference pushing lap times. This may have been true when we built our hot rods 30 years ago, but tire technology today has changed the game. And wider tires don't necessarily increase cornering ability as that also depends on the area of the contact patch and type of pavement. The fact that wider tires reduces traction in wet conditions is a far more serious problem.

·
Registered
384 Posts
This is just not true. You won't get virtually any more sidewall rollover at 35psi and it won't improve dry weather handling unless you push the car to its limits on a race track. And then, only a race driver could tell the difference pushing lap times. This may have been true when we built our hot rods 30 years ago, but tire technology today has changed the game. And wider tires don't necessarily increase cornering ability as that also depends on the area of the contact patch and type of pavement. The fact that wider tires reduces traction in wet conditions is a far more serious problem.
Am I wrong to say that moving to a higher aspect ratio tire reduces the contact patch (typically by reducing the tread width)? That is if you maintain the tire circumference.

After all, isn't it this reduction in tread width that makes the higher aspect ratio tire have less rolling resistance when pushing through snow?

I have seen as much as an inch difference in tread width (a two inch difference contact patch width from one side of the vehicle to the other), when going from a high aspect ratio to a lower one (or vice-versa). A difference in lateral capability that can be felt and measured when on a curvy mountain road, or on a cloverleaf (even in a 2 ton SUV).

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,152 Posts
Am I wrong to say that moving to a higher aspect ratio tire reduces the contact patch (typically by reducing the tread width)? That is if you maintain the tire circumference.

After all, isn't it this reduction in tread width that makes the higher aspect ratio tire have less rolling resistance when pushing through snow?

I have seen as much as an inch difference in tread width (a two inch difference contact patch width from one side of the vehicle to the other), when going from a high aspect ratio to a lower one (or vice-versa). A difference in lateral capability that can be felt and measured when on a curvy mountain road, or on a cloverleaf (even in a 2 ton SUV).

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Again, you are wrong to say that a higher profile tire reduces the contact patch because you are not necessarily changing the tread width. You can have a 225/17 or 225/19 maintaining the tire circumference and the contact patch will be exactly the same. The profile aspect ratio has nothing to do with tread width. Tread width IS tread width no matter how large your wheel is.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Again, you are wrong to say that a higher profile tire reduces the contact patch because you are not necessarily changing the tread width. You can have a 225/17 or 225/19 maintaining the tire circumference and the contact patch will be exactly the same. The profile aspect ratio has nothing to do with tread width. Tread width IS tread width no matter how large your wheel is.
But, a 225/17 and a 225/19 will be different circumferences. When you maintain the overall circumference of the tire (replacing a 245/45-19 with a 225/60-17 - relatively close in circumference as an example) you do lose contact patch/tread width. Get a tire size calculator and check it out!

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,152 Posts
But, a 225/17 and a 225/19 will be different circumferences. When you maintain the overall circumference of the tire (replacing a 245/45-19 with a 225/60-17 - relatively close in circumference as an example) you do lose contact patch/tread width. Get a tire size calculator and check it out!
I replied to this under the other topic. 225/60/17 and 225/55/18 have the same tread width and circumference. What are you looking at????? You would replace a 245 with a 245!!!!

Reactions: ron1004

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,139 Posts
But, a 225/17 and a 225/19 will be different circumferences.
Not necessarily if the aspect ratio/profiles are adjusted to suit the ID (rim size).

Reactions: rvoll
1 - 10 of 10 Posts