Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sportage SX, Copper&Beige AWD
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to do all the maintenance that I can. Typically: oil changes, filters, brake pads and tire rotation.
At 78 I find it more difficult to lift & align the wheels back on the studs when rotating the tires.
I'd like to know if there are any tools available that could hold and guide the wheel into position or has anyone fabricated something that could help do that ?

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,277 Posts
I don't know of any tools to help with that. However, I did start heavy weight lifting when I was 69 and I'm significantly stronger than I was in my 60's. I'm a huge proponent of weight training when we get old. That said, you can change your methodology of putting the tires on the lugs. Raise the car so the tire is just off of the ground. Sit down crossed legged with the tire/wheel rolled into your lap. Rest your arms on your legs and raise the tire to the right position with your wrists. It's easy and it works. Also, I use a battery powered high impact wrench to remove the lug nuts and a set of torque limited impact sockets to get just the right torque on the lug nuts. (I do like gadgets.) That said, I no longer do oil changes and brake jobs as the prices are so good it is just not worth it. Tire rotation only takes me a couple of minutes as I use a quick acting racing jack to lift the whole side of the car at once and keep the tires on the same side of the car. Good luck.

Reactions: Lou O.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage SX AWD
68 Posts
Just thinking off the top of my head here, but if you got a furniture dolly (see bellow) you could put the tire on it and roll it under to install. You may have to mount a couple of 2x4" on to it to get the right distance for your tires to sit upright.

·
Registered
2013 LX & 2020 EX KIA Sportages
105 Posts
I like to do all the maintenance that I can. Typically: oil changes, filters, brake pads and tire rotation.
At 78 I find it more difficult to lift & align the wheels back on the studs when rotating the tires.
I'd like to know if there are any tools available that could hold and guide the wheel into position or has anyone fabricated something that could help do that ?
I set the wheel & tire in front of the lugs and just lower the jack until they are close. Keep legs out from under car. I use a hydraulic floor jack, but the factory jack would work as well. Actually, maybe better.

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportage SX AWD / Mineral silver with beige interior
987 Posts
Those are really cheap at Harbor Freight.
Hope the OP has a good torque wrench and the correct specifications.

Just thinking off the top of my head here, but if you got a furniture dolly (see bellow) you could put the tire on it and roll it under to install. You may have to mount a couple of 2x4" on to it to get the right distance for your tires to sit upright.

View attachment 116275

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sportage EX 2.7L
86 Posts
I've done my own rotations before, but last go around noticed in an ad that Pep Boys does free rotations so I took it down there. That was much easier. :)

·
Registered
2017 Sportage SX, Copper&Beige AWD
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys -
Lot's of good suggestions , i'll try some of them and I do go to the gym to stay in decent shape for the things I like to do.

·
Registered
2019 Sportage SX Turbo AWD
24 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Seltos SX Turbo
5 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,277 Posts
Great suggestion!!! I found this one on Amazon for a lot cheaper... It doesn't have a jack, but it seems most people just line up the lugs and roll it in. I can't verify that it works for our tire size, but it looks like it might. And this is Amazon Prime so if it doesn't work you can return it....

·
Registered
Sportage 2006
1 Posts
Harbor Freight sells this piece of equipment that might be helpful. It sells for $89.00.

1250 Lb. Capacity Vehicle Positioning Wheel Dolly

·
Registered
2019 Sorento
6 Posts
I use a flat tire iron from harbor freight. it makes it easy to roll tire on it and just lift the wheel up to slide it on a lug.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts