Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have four Kal Tire Nokian all season tires that I use as summer tires and I changeover to winter tires in the fall. Recently I slowly backed into a sewer grate and one of the all season tires was punctured on the sidewall, making it not repairable. The other three all season tires currently have a 6-32 tread.

The question is, do I buy one new Nokian tire, creating an imbalance in tread, or a used tire with a similar tread to the existing tires? (It's not worth buying four new tires at this time since the existing tread on the three good tires is still has a few years of driving time).

I have been told that buying a new tire and creating a tread imbalance would create problems with the suspension. Is this true, or are there additional issues with three used and one new tire? I have found one used tire with similar tread in my tire size so I'm leaning toward that choice.
--------------------------
2008 Kia Sportage
LX V6

·
Registered
497 Posts
IMHO, suspension will be fine while AWD will not. Ask Kal Tire if they can shave new tire off to same overall diameter, then you can just buy one.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Also, if you shop at Costco, I believe they would replace all 4 tires for you for price of one if the car is AWD, happened to my friend with RAV4.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Another option

Another option would be to buy only two, match the best two remaining tires as a pair both front or back between rotations, and maybe even keep the third as a spare.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts