Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My van has these weird tires on them names hookok? or something like that and they state only 35psi for pressure. Well, they looked very low to begin with so I checked them and they were actually like 45psi. Even at that, the front tires have a big bulge, probably due to the heavy weight of the vehicle. I cannot image what only 35psi would do! Wow. Seems like you would be running on flat tires. I am leaving them at 45psi. The ride seems nice at this level. Anyone else notice what their tire states for pressure?

When these tires are shot (I am not expecting them to last very long) what tires would be the best all-around for our vans?

Chow!

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
There should be a sticker inside one of your doors that tells ya what you should keep your tires at. Go by that. To make your tires last longer they should be rotated about every 7500 miles. Thats what I normally rotate them at. I didnt rotate them on my Sorento I once had though. I only got 16,000 miles out of them. That goes to show ya rotating them is a good idea. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Probably Hankook... a budget tyre here in England, but not bad. My tyre pressures are 36psi all around (215/65x15), and that feels just about right to me. 45psi sounds way too much and could be dangerous, as less tread will be contacting the road. High sidewalled radials will always look like they are half flat and bulging, don't let that be your quide... because it will be wrong! The tire pressure marked on the tyre sidewall is the maximum (at a given weight)... as Spec SX said go by the manufacturers recommendation. Chances are that your US spec vehicles will be heavier than ours, but not that much (I would have thought?).

Steel belted radials should ideally be kept rolling in the same direction (front to back not diagonal). Be careful what you use to check your pressures, as garage gauges can be way out! I personally prefer a schrader pen gauge, which is simple but accurate.

:beer:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All good advice, thank you.

I use a nice (round dial) guage, not one of those cheap pen guages so mine is pretty accurate. I will drop the pressure down closer to 35psi.

:beer:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Tyre shops use a glorified pen guage as their master guage (over here). Simple (and cheap), but super accurate.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
You'll want to check the sticker, but I think it says to put them at 29psi. This is the manufacturers recomendation that takes gas mileage, tire wear, handling and ride quality into consideration.

I run my cars with a little more pressure than what the door stickers say, but that's just for gas mileage reasons.

A round gauge is the most accurate, even above digital.

Also, pressure readings have to be taken when the tire is cold. During the Summer, in the morning is the only time to take it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very true. I wonder if I just bumped the fronts up a few pound to say like... 38-40? You know, due to the heavy front? No?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts