Kia Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Rio SX Hatch
296 Posts
I've got the OEM Nexen 18" tires and it's seems very quiet by my standards.

The biggest issue where I live is that we have roads which are asphalt, and some which are concrete, and then we have some that have rubberized asphalt. All 3 produce different road noise.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage SX AWD and 1988 Mercedes 300CE
343 Posts
I guess I chose to go another route. For me good handling in the dry, with good wet handling, and the ability to handle some snow were at the top of my priorities. So I went with the Yokohama Avid Ascend GT in the original 245/45-19. It is a little more noisy than the stock Hankooks on some roadways, but I have driven in some significant rain and standing water without any hydroplaning (even handles lateral loads such as cloverleafs with good sensory input regarding where the limit is, even in the wet). And they did well in last winter's snow.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage SX AWD
8 Posts
My '17 SX came with Hankook Kinergy tires and, despite proper upkeep (proper inflation, rotating, balance, no major suspension problems (per dealer and and another shop), etc.) two of the tires became cupped or scalloped and began making a rumble noise above 40mph at about 15k miles. It got steadily worse with more miles so I eventually replaced them, after only 20k miles. Replaced with with Continentals, which I've had good luck with on my other cars.

- dcc

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportage SX AWD / Mineral silver with beige interior
830 Posts
My '17 SX came with Hankook Kinergy tires and, despite proper upkeep (proper inflation, rotating, balance, no major suspension problems (per dealer and and another shop), etc.) two of the tires became cupped or scalloped and began making a rumble noise above 40mph at about 15k miles. It got steadily worse with more miles so I eventually replaced them, after only 20k miles. Replaced with with Continentals, which I've had good luck with on my other cars.

- dcc
My Hankook's have been the best OEM tires I've ever had. They're not fantastic tires but pretty dang good.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage LX
5 Posts
My Hankook's have been the best OEM tires I've ever had. They're not fantastic tires but pretty dang good.
My 2020 LX came with the Kinergy tires too. They feel good now during the summer but they get terrible reviews on the net for wet, snow and ice traction. I'm worried that they won't cut it once the snow starts falling here in Minnesota.

Have you used those tires in snow?

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
My 2020 LX came with the Kinergy tires too. They feel good now during the summer but they get terrible reviews on the net for wet, snow and ice traction. I'm worried that they won't cut it once the snow starts falling here in Minnesota.

Have you used those tires in snow?
They are not very good in the snow. I went with a 17" wheel & tire setup for the winter. I plan on going with another 17" summer setup when the Hankook's wear out.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
917 Posts
I plan on going with another 17" summer setup when the Hankook's wear out.
View attachment 112403
It will be interesting to find out if the 17" summer setup improves the ride quality. I can't see ride noise changing that much as the contact patch will be the same as is insulation. How long do you have to go before your tires wear out?

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
It will be interesting to find out if the 17" summer setup improves the ride quality. I can't see ride noise changing that much as the contact patch will be the same as is insulation. How long do you have to go before your tires wear out?
I really like the ride with the higher profile tires. I could probably go one more summer with the OEM's but may change next summer. True that road noise is not affected, but it will be my top priority when choosing new summer tires.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had my 2020 Sportage S almost 3 weeks now, and I love it. Before that I had a 2012 Soul+ which was pretty noisy all around, but a dependable vehicle. The Sportage is very quiet in comparison, and much smoother. Came with Michelin Primacy and so far very good in rainy weather.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
917 Posts
2020 SX with factory Michelin tires. Lot of road noise! NOT HAPPY!
OEM Michelins tend to be noisier than higher priced options because the rubber compound they use is harder for longer life. The other thing you can do is to double up on your car mats. I have both the extra factory carpet mats AND Kagu Maxpider mats installed in front and rear and both the factory cargo mat AND Husky cargo liner in the cargo area. Believe it or not, that does cut down on road noise a bit.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage SX AWD and 1988 Mercedes 300CE
343 Posts
When I got my 2020 I had the dealership swap out the Michelin's for my Yokohama's from my 2017. I had less than 5k miles on the Yoko's so they had no issue with this swap. And I am really sold on the handling on these tires (dry, wet, and light snow).

21 - 33 of 33 Posts