Kia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have no complains about the Kumho Optimo tires but not liking the thick band of ribs on a good portion of the sidewall. Is there a reason they have these ribs? It looks like crap and putting on tire dressing doesn't go on smooth as the excess oozes into the cracks and then it will sling over the fender wells no matter how much you wipe off. Not putting the tire dressing on the ribbed section looks ghetto by applying it everywhere but the ribbed area. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

The ribbed section is like 90% of the entire sidewall. How are Sportage owners dealing with this problem?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,960 Posts
Use armourall and a standard paint brush... Spray and then brush it into the ribs.
You will get a nice even coating...
Dave

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually bought a newer kit that has a sponge which is even better than a paint brush but it still is a compromise because of the stupid ribs. Also wasted product that will be stuck in the grooves than if there were none at all. Why did Kumho decide to ruin the look of the tire with the grooves in the first place?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I just use an old toothbrush. It seems to work.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX w/ Premium Package & Nav
194 Posts
^^ All good ideas.

I have the 18" Hankook Optimo tires w/ same micro ribs. Drives me crazy!! Anyway, I also use the "curved tire sponge" to apply Meguiar's Endurance Tire Gel.

Long lasting and fairly easy to apply with the sponge. Recommended.

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
925 Posts
I just use tire foam spray and dont really bother to go into detail on the tires themselves. I just spray and let the foam work on the tire and leaves a shine.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
2,063 Posts
I just use tire foam spray and dont really bother to go into detail on the tires themselves. I just spray and let the foam work on the tire and leaves a shine.
+1............

·
Registered
213 Posts
Water based dressings.

Apply thickly at night, dont be to fussy about applying evenly, go bed - they look great in the morning and no sling.

WD :D

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
I have been using Black Magic Tire Wet gel on all my cars for years. Lasts long, virtually no sling and honestly I haven't have any issues with the ribs you speak of. Then again I never really paid attention, but now I will, lol, thanks OP.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts