Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento 3.5 5sp Auto
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am planning on changing the fluids for the Diffs, auto gearbox, transfer case and power steering.

Any tips from anyone who has completed this?

All this was completed at 90000 kms (By previous owner), and its just under 140 000kms, so about 50 000kms ago.

Looked at the KGIS site, and got info from there.

LSD rear, 4wd (not TOD), and 5 speed auto.

Diffs - Using LSD fluid in both diffs. And i know to raise the rear diff 8 inchs i think it was to get 1.6L worth of fluid back in. I haven't really looked much into the front diff...

Xfer Case - Seems like a simple drain from one plug, fill from another plug.

Auto - Planning the drain and fill then pull the oil cooler hoses and put one in a new bottle of ATF and one in the old one to change all 10 litres. Also not planning on changing the filter. Any comments on this.

Power Steering - Also got the info from KGIS. One main question. It says to disconnect the High tension cable. This is so you can crank the engine without it actually starting up. This is so the power steering pump works (i think) but it doesn't go at full flow. What/where is this high tension cable?
Or is there another way of accomplishing this easily enough.

So any Tips on the above would be great.
Now I i know the huge debate on the ATF to only use Red 1.
I dont wan tto turn this into another debate as there is enough of that going on. I will be using Castrol trasaxle multivehicle ATF. As i am doing the flush and its it easily accessible on the weekends, so if i need more i can go and buy more. Where as if i get Red-1 and need more, i will be waiting until the following week and then needing to take a day off from work.

Thanks

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,483 Posts
Yes, the rear gets raised 8" and the front can remain on the ground.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
G'day Random Bob, I did this on mine only a couple of weekends ago. I used Penrite Limslip 85-140 for the diffs, it comes in a handy 2.5 litre pack with an extension filler in the cap that you can stick straight into the filler hole. I've used this oil over many years and in several 4WD with limited slip diffs and with some serious off road use, and none have ever caused any problems. You will need a pump for the front one though as there is no room for an oil bottle. I have the 4speed auto so it's an easy Dx3 change for that one and the same for the trans case, although you have to remove the balance weight to get to the T/C filler hole! Good luck! To do the auto I considered doing it the way you suggested, but laziness took over and I just changed it (4 litres) drove it for a couple of days, and changed it again. I believe that Penrite also make a multi trans synthetic ATF that is "supposed" to be compatible with the 5 speed auto.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just completed the diffs and transfer case.

With the transfer case it seems to have take a fair bit more than the 1.4L its supposed to take. With the pump both even the second 2 litre bottle was almost empty before it started flowing out of the hole!
But once it started flowing out, the rest of it just kept flowing out slowly until i put the top cap back in to pug the hole.

Anyone else measure how much the transfer case actually takes?

Thanks

·
Registered
515 Posts
I can't say for sure but I used a 4 litre bottle and tipped it in straight from the bottle (had one of those extended neck things you pull up and there's heaps of room under there to swing it) and yes it did use up a fair bit of it. I found the original oil to be quite a bit under the filler hole, and pretty dirty. Probably used the Kia manual "no change" advice as it was a dealer serviced car before I bought it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also just changed the coolant. Manual says 11 litres, it only took about 6 to 7 litres.

What are other peoples experiences, how much coolant does it take?

·
Registered
515 Posts
The other 5 liters were probably still in the block. I never try undoing the block drains, too big a chance of one sticking and snapping off. I usually just empty, flush with clean water a couple of times, note how much comes out in the last drain, work out how much water must still be in there, and add it into my calculation for the amount of antifreeze needed, add the antifreeze and top up with clean water. Once you run it it will mix in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts