Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Picanto arrives next wednesday so I want to make some MP3 cd's ready to go driving with!

What tips do people have, what is the best bitrate to use? do you use vbr? and can you put the files inside folders on the cd or do they all have to be on the root directory?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Depends what head unit you have. With the factory fit jvc in mine I just dumped mp3's in folders /artistname/albumname/ and it was fine with them.
All my music is 320Kbit oggvorbis so I just made a copy of what I wanted in 320Kbit MP3 and burnt them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
IMO, it depends on your listening
For rock and pop 128k its enough. I've tried it with a HiFi system and there is not too much difference from CD's
Thats because nowadays everything is recorded with expansors, compressor and limiters in order to give a Car/FM like sound. ****, but real!!!:angry:
If you listen jazz / blues or classical 192k its ok.
Try with LAME encoder ,VBR.
I think you can't really notice a difference with upper bitrate.
Good Luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
any system with a reasonable amount of fidelity needs at least 128k. Anything with lots of highs needs more, as low bitrates make it sound like it is coming from a metal tube. I err on the safe side
LAME 160k VBR: ABR 128min 320 max.
normal VBR can make sequentially bad mistakes for frame size, so ABR is a good choice as it must average per 'n' no. of frames. i usually set mine to 6 or 7.
this i find is the best trade off in terms of size/quality. obviously if the source is meant for super hi-fi, just go >256k.
try CDex for ripping.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,980 Posts
Most of my mp3's were between 128 -160kbps (CD QUALITY) anything higher is doesn't really make a difference (except for space on the disc).. but I don't use MP3 CDs anylonger since I got my MP3 player.. I just use that and I'm set.. LESS CDS to carry! AWESOME!!! :57:

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento
14 Posts
Good morning! This "problem" can easily be rectified, providing
A) you have a computer with CD burner
B)you have a program that can transform regular music, like wave files, into MP3's.
Personally, I have used "MussicMatch Jukebox" for a few years, but there's a price on this (usd 30,- or so) There's also free burner programmes available, like this one from Sweden: http://www.cdburnerxp.se/. Most of these are self explained, or with good help files.
The job will be to find out what to put on a mp3 disc, and in what order.
Personally, I use the highest possible bit-rate, but that's a personal thing. In a car, 160bps will probably work just fine.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Originally posted by HenryCow@May 7 2006, 02:15 AM
The job will be to find out what to put on a mp3 disc, and in what order.
You can't put mp3's in a specific order on the disc like you can with audio cd's, unless your player supports playlists.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento
14 Posts
As a matter of fact, I have done that with MusicMatch Jukebox.
You can re-arrange it, prior to burning, or alternatively, you can number them! But remember to give as many digits as you might need, for the whole disc! I use 001, 002, 003, etc....

·
Registered
115 Posts
Originally posted by HenryCow@May 8 2006, 12:24 PM
you can number them! But remember to give as many digits as you might need, for the whole disc! I use 001, 002, 003, etc....
Only works if your player plays in alphabetic or numerical order though. The head unit that came with my picanto just seems to play them randomly (sometimes it plays the same disc in a different order after it has been removed for a few days)

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento
14 Posts
That makes a ceratin difference, -I'll agrre to that.
However, while in Europe, I used a Kenwood mp3 player in my Mercedes, and this caused no problems.....
However, I'm afraid I don't know a lot abot the characteristics of the (many) different mp3 players for cars....
On the other hand, like my esteemed father stated it; "A problem is not a porblem, unless you make it a problem"! :beer: There is probably a sollution to this issue too!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts