Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 borrego with the v6. I've always had the timing chain noise on startup that dissipates when warm. My wife was driving the other day and it through a bunch of misfire codes as well as p0017 and p0018. It now has a constant slap or lifter type noise from the passenger side. It still runs and idles fine right now besides the noise.

I'm assuming it's the timing chain or guide on the passenger side. No way to check this without taking it all apart is there?

Anyone know of any videos or guides on timing chain replament? Seem to me there are a lot of issues with these guides so could it just need to be replaced?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Your Borrego uses chains, guides and chain tensioners between the crank sprocket and the cams. I have not heard of any problems from the Borrego forum but many of the Kia/Hyundia cars use the same engine. Their respective forums might provide additional information.

The OHV drive setup is similar to many modern designs. The Jaguar 4.0L engine from this period was plagued with many cam drive issues that resulted in jumping timing because of slack in the chain. Causes were principally related to the oil pressure actuated tensioners compounded by worn chain guides and low oil pressure.

No, not much way to diagnose short of pulling the valve covers and checking the cam positioning. The Jaguar double cams had milled alignment cuts that a visual inspection would easily identify misalignment. In that engine one chain tooth off produced missing, two teeth resulted in very bad missing, 3 teeth off resulted in contact between valves and pistons.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
TestPoint
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing