Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post so give me a little slack.

Just purchased a '08 Spectra EX with ~67000 miles and been reading some of ya'lls post on having the timing belt changed at 60000.
I'm kind of confused. The Owner's Manual (looking right at it) says to inspect at 60000 and replace at 90000.
Which is it?
Also, how can I tell if the belt has been changed?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,358 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

The service interval may differ depending on the area/country that you're in.

I don't believe that there's any way to tell if the belt was changed by visual inspection.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
mbirds...
First...Welcome to kia-forums...
I have two Spectras in our family. My 06 SX and my wife's 07. I just replaced her's at 59k miles. It looked like it had many more miles left on it..No cracking and no loose/missing teeth...It was manufactured by Bando. I replaced it with a Gates brand that I got from rockauto.com (under $20 with shipping). The water pump, idlers and tensioner looked like new also. My 06 Spec has just under 40k miles on it and I plan to replace it come spring/early summer as it is 6~7 years old.. It also looks like new.
These engines are "interference" type engines and "if" the belt slips or breaks you WILL have major damage to the heads and most likely the pistons also.
If you have a couple of floor jacks and standard 3/8 and 1/2" sockets, a 1/2" breaker bar, and open end wrenches you can do this job yourself, The sockets are metric and the only "unusual" items are a 22mm 1/2" socket (for crank bolt) and 5~8mm alen wrenches (to adjust the tensioner). I had a CEL (check engine light) when I put her's back together (P0016). I had the belt 1 tooth advanced on the cam gear (slight slack on the right side of the belt). I was able to move the belt counter clockwise one tooth without taking it all apart and that solved the CEL. I would tend to shy away from some of the other Hyundai/KIA engines (like the 2.4L 4cyl in the Optima and some of the V6s) but would take on another 2.0L Spec without a second thought. I would suggest that you replace the AC Belt and the 4 spark plugs (Champions eech!!). Use NGKs and check their gap for .044. Her Spectra is now especially quiet and runs much better.

I'm here to answer questions if you need me...
Dave

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
BTW...
I have "seen" these belts break around 70-85k miles here on the forums...
60k or 5yrs is the "suggested" replacement interval..

You should also drain/refill the automatic transmission fluid every 30k and USE Hyundai/KIA fluids. I know that the fluid is "type 3" and others have posted that they have used other brands BUT there have been posts with compatability problems and transmission failures here. The dealer lists the fluid at around $7 qt and 4~5 qts are needed. No flush is required...just drain what you can, measure what came out and replace with fresh.. Thes cars can go 300k miles "if" taken car of.
Dave

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,121 Posts
First if your in cali and bought it there, YES, it is 90K miles. Why, I dunno, but the manual does state this.
If you are in ANY other state other than Cali, then it is at 60K miles.

Sencondly, go ahead and test it out, see if you can make it to 90, if you don't, no worries, you just blew your motor up and now need a new one.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
First if your in cali and bought it there, YES, it is 90K miles. Why, I dunno, but the manual does state this.
If you are in ANY other state other than Cali, then it is at 60K miles.

Sencondly, go ahead and test it out, see if you can make it to 90, if you don't, no worries, you just blew your motor up and now need a new one.
That's because California is "special" and doesn't need to follow the same rules as anyone else. Or as soon as you cross the border, everything miraculously lasts 1.5x as long.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts