Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 spectra just broke a timing belt at 113,000 miles. I replaced the timing belt, but still no start. Compression check on cylinders 1 and 3 show no compression whatsoever...I mean NOTHING on the gauge.

Did I fry all my valves? Damage to pistons as well? What's the lowdown on the 1.8 DOHC engine?

I saw used engines on ebay for roughly $250. Is this the best way to go? How difficult is engine replacement?

Is is time to drag it to the JY and purchase new? My own cost-benefit analysis shows $11,700 total invested in it since purchase (including oil changes, tires, brakes, but not fuel), and 113,000 miles means about 10.3 cents per mile. Should I scrap it and call it good?

Any tips from real-world experiences are welcome!

Mark in MA

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra EX
84 Posts
:beer: Hello "Mark"

Worth the info. If you are mechanicaly inclined enought to remove the cylinder head yourself, you might be able to fix it.
Before you open the engine, rotate the engine by hand so that piston 1 and 3 are just a little bit before top dead centre, and poor engine oil in the cylinder throught the spark plug hole and if the piston has a hole in it, then the combustion chamber will not fill up with oil. This will tell you if it is only a cylinder head job or a piston job or maybe both.

Not related to your Spectra, it happend on my 2000 Hyundai Accent. At the 95k Km tune-up, I had just change the fuel filter and run the engine, it happend just when I stop the engine, I would say for sure the last dead revolution, the belt did not break, it just slip 2 tooth on the camshaft gear, enought to bend 3 intake and 2 exhauts valves. I diagnosed it myself, removed the cylinder head, and had it refurbish by the local shop (Halifax Engine on StrawberryHill rd.) Re-install the head and has been running fine since then. ($900.00CND total cost for 2 tooth on the camshaft sproket!!!!)

TheIceAge05

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Popped off the valve cover today to see what I could see...lifters for both exhaust valves on both cylinders 3 and 4 are not resting against the cam. That's a bad sign.

Went to the Kia dealer today and learned a few things:
1) My car has no trade in value whatsoever with a fried motor.
2) "Owner loyalty" discounts are only on Rios right now.
3) The dealer claims that now automatics get better mileage than manuals, as a result of lock-up torque converters. Still don't know if I buy that statement yet.
4) A similar car to mine new is about $12k now (I paid $10,900 in '02).

As I contemplate what to do with a 3-year-old vehicle that is worth nothing, could someone identify exactly which models and years used this same 1.8 DOHC motor? Perhaps I can start shopping junkyards and swap in the whole drivetrain.

Thanks

Mark in MA

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by theiceage05@Sep 4 2005, 09:55 AM
:beer: Hello "Mark"

Worth the info. If you are mechanicaly inclined enought to remove the cylinder head yourself, you might be able to fix it.
Before you open the engine, rotate the engine by hand so that piston 1 and 3 are just a little bit before top dead centre, and poor engine oil in the cylinder throught the spark plug hole and if the piston has a hole in it, then the combustion chamber will not fill up with oil. This will tell you if it is only a cylinder head job or a piston job or maybe both.

Not related to your Spectra, it happend on my 2000 Hyundai Accent. At the 95k Km tune-up, I had just change the fuel filter and run the engine, it happend just when I stop the engine, I would say for sure the last dead revolution, the belt did not break, it just slip 2 tooth on the camshaft gear, enought to bend 3 intake and 2 exhauts valves. I diagnosed it myself, removed the cylinder head, and had it refurbish by the local shop (Halifax Engine on StrawberryHill rd.) Re-install the head and has been running fine since then. ($900.00CND total cost for 2 tooth on the camshaft sproket!!!!)

TheIceAge05

TIA05 has a good point. Yes technically the engine is fried, and yes, a mechanic could charge you big $$ to do all that work, but you could get it back up and running yourself.

I am curious, when you replaced the timing belt, did you set all the timing correctly? I don't have the manual on this car, but on timing chains I have replaced, there are a number of components that have to be in the right position when you put it all together. The fact that you have extra clearance of some valves could be a problem. Not sure if the Spectra uses hydraulic lifters or tappet shims. On my earlier SAABs, there was clearance, and you set the amount of clearance using shims.

Anyway, if the engine is already toast, there is not much loss in pulling the head and taking a look. And, who knows, you might get lucky and find a local junkyard that has an engine from a crash victim for sale. Buying through parts networks is rather expensive, and I tend not to do that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Valve gap. I'm assuming it has hydraulic lifters and therefore no gap, but regardless, the gap is about 1/8" on cyl 3 and 4, so I know there are serious valve issues.

The timing belt was set correct. I checked, rechecked, and checked a third time before cranking the engine over, then rechecked after it wouldn't start.

I see used engines on ebay for $250 or less, but none near me. I inquired on nationwide used parts networks, and I'm getting responses, but still those are coming back in the $500 range before shipping, and they are also not near me.

I don't see any hyundai references to a 1.8l, so I'm assuming this was only used in Kias.

My question is What years did the Spectra have this 1.8l engine VIN code"1", and what years did any other Kia models happen to use this engine?

In looking at the Alldata manual, it seems like pulling the whole engine/xmission is fairly painless, so if I can find a whole motor, I'll swap it out and change the clutch while I'm at it. I don't want to throw much money into a car that the dealer says is worth nothing, and I don't have much spare time, so I want to choose the fastest route possible.

Thanks

Mark in MA

·
Registered
20 Posts
The 2002 1.8 was a pre-Hyundai engine. It's either a Mazda or Mitsubishi engine. When I owned a 2002 Spectra, I thought it was a Mitsubishi product, but more recently it seems it may have been built by Mazda.

·
Registered
2007 Optima, 2007 Sorento
714 Posts
I also know that the 1.8 engine is not built by Mazda or Mitsubishi and is a Kia designed engine. Some Kias year 2000 and older had engines that were designed around a Mazda product which had long been discontinued by Mazda. Hyundai leaned heavily on Mitsubishi designed engines early on and have since the late 90's depended on their own designs. All engines for Kia and Hyundai old and new were assemblied in each car maker before Kia got bought out by Hyundai.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts