Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1993 f-150, 2000 sprtage EX 4X4 5 speed, 2009 smart cab, 2007 expadition limited.
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need some advice or tricks on what i need and how to do the timing belt and water pump.

i'm sure it needs done.

·
Registered
Many, KIa Ceed 1.6 crdi auto at the moment
103 Posts
Changing Timing Belt

fts1966. First put some gloves on for sweat will damage the belt and it wont last long and don't twist the belt 90 deg like it states in a certain book. These toothed belts last a long time, I wore one belt out to two engines while on test when they first came out.
Turn the engine over by hand and get all the timing marks in line before taking the tooth belt off. When you put it back it has to be drum tight and dont forget don't twist it.

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
Count the cogs on the water pump ,single an dual overhead cam are different. Replace the idler rollers an tension spring are suggested. After market kits are available.
Follow the instructions on k g i s .internet explorer only.
chief

·
Premium Member
96 4 DOOR 4WD SPORTAGE, 2014 Hyundai Elantra GT, 2015 Accent Hatchback Sport
650 Posts
need some advice or tricks on what i need and how to do the timing belt and water pump.

i'm sure it needs done.
Make sure you use a quality timing belt (I'm currently running Goodyear Gatorback) Also, count the cogs on the old water pump drive and make sure your new water pump has the same number of cogs. You should change the tension and idler pulleys.
Top it off with a good quality anit-freeze.

If you have a DOHC, don't worry about valves hitting pistons. Make sure that the crank is at TDC and then line up the I and E to the proper marks. If you don't have a manual, you need to download a copy of one and read the instructions.

A trick to holding the cams in place is to get a large washer or bar big enough to press on both cam gears and use the bolt that holds the plastic cover in the center, and tighten the bolt with the large washer/bar just enough to hold the cams in place but be able to turn them to their proper alignment. Remove this after you get everything replaced.

Hope this helps,
UPYOURKIA

·
Registered
1993 f-150, 2000 sprtage EX 4X4 5 speed, 2009 smart cab, 2007 expadition limited.
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Count the cogs on the water pump ,single an dual overhead cam are different. Replace the idler rollers an tension spring are suggested. After market kits are available.
Follow the instructions on k g i s .internet explorer only.
chief
not sure what K G I S . internet explorer only is????

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i watched a you tube about the timing belt and water pump. i think i can handle it. yes i ha e twin cam. i will make sure and count the notched on the water pump.

it is going to be a few weeks before i get to that. i need to get some other things done so it will pass safety inspection and get it licensed.

but thank you all for the help

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
Kia global information system . Works best with internet explore. Its free to register just need a e mail address.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had my water pump replaced and the mechanic did not change the timing belt. My timing belt broke while driving, different mechanic said the wrong water pump was put on,s/b a 168 tooth and I have a 25 tooth. According to kia the 25 tooth is okay, is there a certain timing belt I should purchase? Mechanic states the current pump is missing, please help...

·
Registered
2005 Kia sedona
34 Posts
id di my belt in about 4 hours with coffee brakes i think the hard part is getting the cam gears to stay where they belong i use long bolts though th egears and the lower crank blue make for timing is very hard to see be very care full this is a interferance engine

·
Premium Member
96 4 DOOR 4WD SPORTAGE, 2014 Hyundai Elantra GT, 2015 Accent Hatchback Sport
650 Posts
id di my belt in about 4 hours with coffee brakes i think the hard part is getting the cam gears to stay where they belong i use long bolts though th egears and the lower crank blue make for timing is very hard to see be very care full this is a interferance engine

If it is a DOHC, it is NON-INTERFERENCE motor.

UPYOURKIA

1 - 11 of 11 Posts