Kia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I have a 2001 sportage just finished a complete tune up ( Spark plugs, wires, coils, new coil lead wire " that turned to dust", fuel filter, all three drive belts, and the timing belt. The one i replaced was walking into the crank plate and cutting into the top of my cam sprocket cover ... SO i replaced belt, tensioner, pulley, water pump, spring. all as a Gates replacement kit ... I & E & crank sprocket lined up well. The rotation and placement of the belt looked good. On start up to my surprise the engine has a deep low pitch hum to it and being my second sportage i new it "still" just didn't sound right .. checked timing and it oscillates from 8 to 10 BTDC instead of the 6+ or -6 displayed under the hood.. i thought maybe i didn't tighten the tesioner properly so i opened her back up and the timing belt has walked back up against the retention plate and was wearing the outside edge again..??? belt was walking over the edge of the tensioner and pulley and was even with the outside of the cam sprockets ... i have read else were that installing the belt in the wrong direction can cause this as well as an over tightened tensioner .. no specified direction marked on the belt and i allowed the spring to do the tensioning before locking it down tight... I have no idea what the cause of this could be "'Any suggestions would be appreciated""{:-( ">_<"

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,960 Posts
In the last couple of weeks I replaced the TB on my 06 Spectra..It was 7 yrs old..
but had only 41k miles on it... I also used a GATES ...When I re-assembled it it also had a low growl...The tension on the belt was too high...When I backed it off the noise was gone...I can push it in about 1/2"and it is not loose.
If you had removed and re-installed the original belt THEN direction would be important but nor with a new TB.
Just a thought...
Dave

·
Registered
1998 Sportage 4x4
25 Posts
I would check all the bearings that run off the TB, water pump, idler pulley, and tensioner pulley, a bad bearing could throw off the alignment. I believe that my Sportage's belt was near the front of the cam sprockets, but didn't contact anything else. I have replaced mine several times and always start it and let it run for a minute before its completely reassembled to check it. I paid someone to change TB once and they bent the TB guide plate on the crank by removing pulley and forcing it past the lower TB cover, the belt lasted about 5k and came apart starting where the bent plate was contacting the belt. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts