Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Kia Rio EX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a used 2008 Kia Rio EX for our son as a first vehicle. Found one with minor hail damage with only 65K on it in very good shape, and decided to pounce on the deal. Passed all mechanical inspections, brakes are like new, good tires, etc. One of those finds you dont get all the time

Anyway, before buying I looked into if it had a timing belt or chain, and of course, it has a belt. I am not a fan of timing belts, but for the price and a first car, and it will only be drove locally for the first few years anyway, decided to buy anyway

According to the manual, the belt has to be changed at 96K or 48 months. Before I bought I got some info from the local Kia dealership since thats were it has been serviced, and it was last changed at 35K and Oct 2012. So the previous owners did follow the "time" rule. Saying that, it is now 5 years on the belt, but only 30K.

I am all for preventative maintenance, having owner cars upwards of 14 years, and for the most part keep vehicles for 8-10 years. But every 4 years seems very excessive to me. Literally no matter how well you take care of it, drive it like a wimp, and maybe only use the vehicle locally, you have a $1000 bill every 4 years no matter what. At least with other components you "use them up" Tires, brakes, fluids (which I follow the km rule for the most part) Ive never been the kind to change my oil after 3 months, but rather the kms.

So from previous or current owners of this vehicle, do you follow the km rule, or the time rule. Id hate to replace something that doesnt need to be replace, but on the other hand, also know that a belt goes, your engine is toast

Maybe if it was a cheaper thing to do, and I dont have the knowledge or time to do it myself.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,898 Posts
IF it's a GATES brand belt you are still OK... If it's a bando or KIA belt I'd change it....
The GATEs belts I've changed at 60k and over 5yrs still looked good....
It is a better quality belt...and will go the 60k miles...
Pull the top timing belt cover and bump the engine till you find the manufacturer’s label...

My son has a 2008 Hyundai Accent with the same engine and after changing the TB about 5k miles the tensioner spring broke causing the timing belt to slip and the engine WAS damaged... It WAS repairable as the 8 exhaust valves were only bent... It required the head being removed and the valves being replaced but the engine was otherwise just fine... The 2005 and earlier RIO engines would have been totally trashed...

These are good engines and can go 300k miles if the Oil and filters are replaced regularly,the TB is replaced at 60k miles and the automatic transmission fluid drained and refilled EVERY 30k miles... Then regular wear items as they fail...
Dave

·
Registered
2008 Kia Rio EX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IF it's a GATES brand belt you are still OK... If it's a bando or KIA belt I'd change it....
The GATEs belts I've changed at 60k and over 5yrs still looked good....
It is a better quality belt...and will go the 60k miles...
Pull the top timing belt cover and bump the engine till you find the manufacturer’s label...

My son has a 2008 Hyundai Accent with the same engine and after changing the TB about 5k miles the tensioner spring broke causing the timing belt to slip and the engine WAS damaged... It WAS repairable as the 8 exhaust valves were only bent... It required the head being removed and the valves being replaced but the engine was otherwise just fine... The 2005 and earlier RIO engines would have been totally trashed...

These are good engines and can go 300k miles if the Oil and filters are replaced regularly,the TB is replaced at 60k miles and the automatic transmission fluid drained and refilled EVERY 30k miles... Then regular wear items as they fail...
Dave
I have no idea what kind of belt it is. Just got it a couple weeks ago. Im assuming if it does at the dealership last time it would of been a cheap Kia belt, because, well then it would need to be changed.

But you are saying change it at 60K miles. Which one, 60000K or 60000 miles? Same as the other 30K miles. Not sure of the lingo (sorry)

I havent had time to really even look over the car, its been onlly drove a few times since we got it. But this is one thing I want to make sure is correct.

I will try the remove cover and move the belt until I see the label

·
Registered
Kia Rio 2006, Kia Forte 2017
28 Posts
My wife's 2006 Rio's timing belt was replaced at 129k miles. Begged her to do it, saying that if we further delay it, we may damage the engine valvetrain or worse. She got that Rio way back 2010. It is still running today, do timing belts run that long? I don't know the repair history of the car, neither does my wiffe. I think she got it with 60k miles in the odometer, though I am not sure

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,898 Posts
Timing belts can go much longer but I would not trust them to do so... That said I recently bought a 2008 KIA Spectra EX with 162k miles on it and upon changing the TB found it to be an original KIA/Hyundai belt...
I would rather not chance that a timing belt would last beyond 60k (100k for Gates) ...
Dave

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,696 Posts
Dave is in the USA, so his K's are miles, your Alberta K's are Kilometers, so do the math..

... Philip

·
Registered
2007 kia rio lx
1 Posts
so i'm curious how long does it take shop time wise to replace a timing belt and do a valve job on a 2007 kia rio? the car has 125k and some change on it? ty kindly

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
631 Posts
Some interesting information to tie in with this post:

A few years ago we did a study on timing belt breakage for 3.5L V6 Chrysler Engines.
This was for the Prowler Car Group.
The timing belt sees the highest load or stretch during start up. (has to get past valve train inertia at rest.)
Once the engine is running the loads are minimal.
WOT starts and WOT kick down is the second highest force the belt sees, still not as high as start up.
We collected belts from owners with various mileage and age.
Mostly low miles but high age. (<50K miles - >15 years old.)
All the belts were OEM and appeared to be in excellent condition.
We built a stretch gauge using a hydraulic press. The actual belt layout geometry was duplicated.
We stretched brand new belts to failure, then 'used' belts to failure. We plotted these points on a graph and extrapolated belt life miles vs age.
I won't get into the detailed statistical analysis, but one thing proved out.....
Change your timing belt (if so equipped) no longer than 6 years or 60K miles, unless the OEM states otherwise!
Extending this time / miles period may be possible, but you risk your engine.
Its a pay me now or pay me latter scenario folks!
I am not a big fan of timing belts in general. Our 2.0L Turbo motor has a timing chain...much more durable.
For what its worth.

·
Registered
2010 Kia Rio LX
73 Posts
FWIW as a relative newbie to serious car maintenance I recently replaced the timing belt on my 2010 Rio LX. It had over 156k miles on it at the time. My dad gave it to me a few years ago after he stopped driving and he didn't keep good records, plus he bought it second-hand after it spend its first year as a rental, so I had no idea if it had ever had the TB replaced (CarFax was no help).

When I removed the old one it still looked like it had some life in it, and IIRC it was a Kia/Hyundai OEM belt. I replaced it with a Dayco TB kit, i.e. belt, tensioner & idler. It wasn't as hard a job as I'd expected. I just had to be careful as this is one job you really don't want to mess up. The hardest part was getting the crankshaft pulley off and back on, but my impact wrench made that pretty easy. And getting the new belt on just right was a bit tricky (again, for a newbie like me).

It's been 4-5 months and no problems at all. I probably could have gotten quite a few more miles out of the old belt, and judging from its appearance my guess is that it had been replaced, but since this was a DIY job it was cheap preventative maintenance ($63 for the kit). Obviously it's going to cost you a bit if you have a shop do it, although you might be able to save money by buying the parts yourself.

At the very least, if you're not sure when the belt was last replaced, if ever, try and take a look at it and get a rough idea of its condition. Or, pay a shop to do this and they'll probably deduct the cost if you have them replace it. Or take lots of well-lit and sharp photos and bring it to a shop for their opinion.

Btw, all, how good are Dayco TBs for the Rio? Given the age of the car I'm hoping to never have to replace it again before reselling it, probably in a year or two.

·
Registered
2010 Kia Rio LX
73 Posts
so i'm curious how long does it take shop time wise to replace a timing belt and do a valve job on a 2007 kia rio? the car has 125k and some change on it? ty kindly
I'm fairly new to car maintenance and repair, and it took me around 3-4 hours, but like I said I'm new to this and had never replaced a TB before, and wanted to get it right as a bad job would have killed the engine. So I'm guessing that any decent shop could do it in an hour or less, a bit longer if you also have them replace the water pump and seals (I didn't do either as both appear to be fine). It's not that hard a job, especially for a pro.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts