Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced the water pump (bad bearing) and timing belt on my 2000 Sephia 1.8 DOHC. Before I removed the old timing belt, the crank shaft timing mark was 1 tooth off (advanced). The car had run fine.
With the new belt, should I correct the timing or leave it like I found it?

Thanks
TSMC

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To all who looked at my post/question, I thank you.
To all who offered advice, oh wait nobody offered up any advice! Thanks KIA Forums....

For what it's worth, a questionable mechanic had worked on this vehicle (my Granddaughter's car) Left it running worse than when they/he started. (A lot of unrelated issues!)

I put the timing belt back as I found it, 1 tooth off on the crank shaft. I didn't like the way it sounded, so spent today taking it apart and lining up ALL the timing marks. Sounds and runs much better!

GO BY THE BOOK and do it right.

TSMC

·
Registered
1 Posts
it'd be nice if you wrote up a tutorial w/pics on doing this procedure and price on the timing kit.

would you happen to know if the 1999 sephia has hydraulic lash adjusters?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,812 Posts
Just replaced the water pump (bad bearing) and timing belt on my 2000 Sephia 1.8 DOHC. Before I removed the old timing belt, the crank shaft timing mark was 1 tooth off (advanced). The car had run fine.
With the new belt, should I correct the timing or leave it like I found it?

Thanks
TSMC
I put the timing belt back as I found it, 1 tooth off on the crank shaft. I didn't like the way it sounded, so spent today taking it apart and lining up ALL the timing marks. Sounds and runs much better!
A little puzzled by that - if you put the belt back exactly as it was, how come it no longer 'ran fine' ?
GO BY THE BOOK and do it right.
Without a doubt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts