Kia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
2006 timing belt

How do I change the timing belt on my 2006 Optima. A step by step was listed in this forum so I would like to know how much difference the procedure will be? It appears as though it is a somewhat difficult and time consuming project.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sportage Timing Belt

The instructions are referenced with you looking at the engine from the front timing belt broke. Mine has broke twice (usually at approx. 80k miles) and I have replaced it both times with no problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2002 Kia Sportage. I was just driving down the road and without any warning or knock or ping the engine just shut down. It was like pulling the plug on a sweeper, it just quit. I tried to start it and it sounds like it may be turning over just a little faster than normal. This made me think of the timing belt. It will not attempt to start it just turns over. I have 71000 miles on it. Does anyone out there believe that the problem lies anywhere else besides the belt? If the Replacement directions found on this forum are as easy as it sounds I will dig into it this weekend. I mean what do I have to lose? One question about those directions are the left and right cam. Is this facing the engine or sitting in the vehicle? Do I need any special tools? Thanks in advance. - Jeff
Fuel pump relay. Wriggle it and listen for any very faint whirring. If no whirring, bridge the terminals with a bit of wire. If this does not work it may be something else more serious.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2001 Kia Sportage ex appfires it wouldn't start but it will crank fine check the fuel pump is fine spark plugs are fine change the balancer and it still not much powerand my timing belt looks fine how would I find out if my timing is set right

can somebody help me right now

·
Super Moderator
9,480 Posts
I have a 2001 Kia Sportage ex appfires it wouldn't start but it will crank fine check the fuel pump is fine spark plugs are fine change the balancer and it still not much powerand my timing belt looks fine how would I find out if my timing is set right

can somebody help me right now
This is an instructional thread for timing belt replacement - best you create a new thread describing your problem.

Also, please fill in your profile detail.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone had a problem after changing timing belt. Mine the belt walks to back of gears and takes out the tension spring.i put on new belt and bump it over it immediately starts moving back. It also has new tensioner and pump.also it was fine for the first 2000 miles.now immediately does it,

·
Super Moderator
6,851 Posts
Sounds like you have a bad idler bearing allowing the pulley (idler) to tilt and the belt will follow..
Check for wobble of idlers when they turn.
On the back of some tensioner idlers there is a finger that must sit in a hole... Failure to do so will tilt that idler..
The belt is skewing because something that it makes contact with is not straight...
Dave

41 - 47 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.