Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 KIA Rio
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 2003 Rio-basic model 1.6 DOHC – it stopped. It lost power in the middle of an intersection, so I tried to start it like anyone would have done. Long story short, got it home replaced timing belt, still won’t start. I believe there is internal engine damage, as when I was replacing the timing belt, the exhaust and intake cams where almost completely 180 degrees of the timing marks, so by my tiring to start it when it stopped most likely caused internal damage. SO where do I go now? Take the engine apart, how much trouble might I be looking at – since the car is ten years old, in a professional opinion would it even be worth going any farther? I live in New York and the winters and rust have taking hold, I was hoping to get the rest of this year out of it, so 10 more months is what I was looking at before this happened. It has started to nickel and dime me. Any professional opinion would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,952 Posts
Chances are there is internal damage.. you might pull the spark plugs and look for bent electrodes (from the broken valves hitting them..also have compression checked (good way to find internal damage). Depending on the amount of damage found...it will tell "if" the car is repairable or not. These engines demand a premium as there are few left around and no other motor will exchange with it.
If compression is missing or low then I'd pull the head off and take a look at the valves and pistons. You may get lucky because you were not revving the engine at the time of failure and may only have a bent valve or two.
Dave

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
It all depends on how much damage was done and what your willing to pay verses another car and payments. Any how my 02 is also in rough shape also with rust being the worst culprit I would scrap it if the body is bad and the damage is to much to spend on the engine. Me i'm trying to keep mine going till my son get's out of college in 3 years. Nickle and dime is ok for me for now but a large bill say a tranny or engine repair is not then it's time to go, unless you can do the work youself. Do the math. Just my opinion take it for what it is worth. Good luck, Reguard's Ronjohn

1 - 3 of 3 Posts