Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sportage 4 door
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2002 kia sportage 2wd convertible. I know I need to replace the timing belt. My question is how hard is it to change the timing belt? I am pretty handy with a wrench. I can change, brakes, tune ups fuel pumps serpentine belts. However, anything with timing scares me. What are everyone's thoughts?

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,391 Posts
If your comfortable around tools and have some experience you can do it.
Not brain surgery.

Two difficult things are getting the Harmonic Balancer off and back on, (Buy a new bolt, its a torque to yield type.)
Second is slipping on the belt so all the timing marks line up properly. Some folks here have posted some very good photos and step by step instructions. Look these posts up and have it ready on your smart phone when you start the job. R&R the water pump while your at it. Kits are available for the entire job and include other wear parts, like idler pully, etc.
Plan on a day or two tops. If you rush the job you may become angry or inpatient. Rent tools you may not have.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SXL
60 Posts
I also have a 02 2dr convertible I've replaced my timing belt twice 191,000 miles. It's not hard line up your timing marks. Take note of the length of the bolts you remove from the timing cover. The tension pulley can be a little tricky. The hardest thing I've had to do on mine is changing the fuel filter. The clip gets rusted and stuck on the hose. Get Er Done!

·
Registered
2011 Hyundai ix35 AWD CRDi
263 Posts
I always have my phone on hand for complex tasks to take plenty of pictures as I go to help with re-assembly etc. If you can find the procedure that would be the best way to decide if you can do it. Correct tensioning of the belt is important. Replacing idlers and tensioner pulleys is best practice and also crank and camshaft seals while your there and any other gaskets disturbed(rocker cover?)

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,391 Posts
Let us know how you make out or have other questions!! Good luck!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts