Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I went & looked at an 01 Rio today (77k miles, 5 sp) and liked the car, but I came home & did some research and now I have a question I can't seem to find an answer for.

From what I've been able to find via internet searching, the timing belt needs to be changed either every 60k or every 90k, depending who you want to believe. Which is it? And is this something that Kia covers under their warranty, ie, would they have done it as part of normal maintainance? Thing is I forgot to ask the owner when I looked at the car if he had it changed. If not, how much does the service cost on average?

I'm no stranger to interference motors or timing belts. But on my Stealth, the timing belt change was about $1000, so if it's anything near that for this Rio, well, that just might be a deal breaker.

Also, is there any listing online anywhere of scheduled maintainance for the car? I've been looking for about the last 2 hours trying to figure this out. Just trying to figure out what I might be getting myself into. Thanks for any replys.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,124 Posts
well the timing belt is supposed to be changed at 60k well every 60k.
The dealer does not do this as part of a routine matinence it is up to the owner to get it done although if you have the 100k warrinty and dont do it they void the warrinty so most ppl do do it.
cost if not doen and getting done at the dealer will cost appx. 600 bills give or take a few but this is average.
I do not know a site that has the scheduale on it but at 60 there is a whole lotta crap they replace. ask them if the service has been done on that specific car. they should know and if they dont well deal breaker id say.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I did find out that edmunds.com has a list of scheduled maint. but it seems off to me. For instance they say reccomended service is to change the tranny fluid every 1k-3k miles, but engine oil every 5k miles. Also they show the timing belt at 60k, but also at 105k, and 120k. Their estimated cost for the t-belt change is ~$220, parts & labor, so if that's all it is, it may not be so bad after all. I can handle some spark plugs & other misc. myself.

The link I found for scheduled maint. is http://applications.edmunds.com/maintenanc...#33;-1634823480

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,124 Posts
well as for the tranny fluid it isnt every 1-3k lol.
I think that is part of the 60K if i remember right.
oil changes are like normal every 3K
I know the fuel filter is every 30K same with spark plugs and wires and coils are at 90K i believe.
tbelt is def every 60K on this interference motor.
My dealer for instance will charge 630 for tbelt labor and parts.
this is on a sephia so the labor might not be as tough as the dam sephia (have to lift motor to ge tto stuff correctly)
most of the other stuff besides belts every 60 or so i believe is inspect and replace as needed.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I just got back from driving it home. As it turns out the belt hasn't been changed. Called 2 dealers, one quoted $450 for just the t-belt, the other dealer quoted $299 for the t-belt, plus they'd change the other belts for the cost of the parts, no labor. Not too bad of a deal I think.

Now if it would just stop raining, lol. :grin:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts