Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sportage 4 door
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I took a look under my timing belt cover to see if could gauge the condition of my timing belt. I haven't owned this Kia very long and I don't know if it's been replaced or not. Could you all take a look at the photos and see what you all think? Is the belt a replacement? Does it look it bad? 2002 Kia Sportage Convertible 2Wd

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,763 Posts
A visual is totally unreliable to assess the remaining life of a timing belt - That is the original OEM belt - if you don't have firm confirmation that its been changed and the mileage is >60K and its older than 5 years (which it is), then change it.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,377 Posts
Listen to Ron....if you don't change out your belt and it snaps or jumps several teeth, you will wind up taking out your engine. Pay me now or pay me later scenario!

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
That is a replacement belt, note the ( Gates ) logo on the belt, but agree w/ Ron & Lou above, if unsure of condition, plan for replacement.

That belt doesn't look too bad, I've seen worse: but it's not a "new" belt, either. Condition should be based on any visible fraying at either edge of belt, color of belt (dull / dry cracking, or glazed, high sheen ), and mileage / years since last belt change, if known.

Note: the 1G Sportage DOHC 2.0 L engines -only- are considered "non-interference", the pistons are dished to allow for valve travel, under normal operating conditions. If you break a belt (broke 2 here when owned), you can replace / do a TB service, and get back up-and-running.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,695 Posts
That is a replacement belt, note the ( Gates ) logo on the belt, but agree w/ Ron & Lou above, if unsure of condition, plan for replacement.

That belt doesn't look too bad, I've seen worse: but it's not a "new" belt, either. Condition should be based on any visible fraying at either edge of belt, color of belt (dull / dry cracking, or glazed, high sheen ), and mileage / years since last belt change, if known.

Note: the 1G Sportage DOHC 2.0 L engines -only- are considered "non-interference", the pistons are dished to allow for valve travel, under normal operating conditions. If you break a belt (broke 2 here when owned), you can replace / do a TB service, and get back up-and-running.

Kia use's GATES belts. You see the OEM part# on the belt? (0K95412205) That's the original 19 year old OEM belt!
The time to replace is NOW.

Reactions: ron1004

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Kia use's GATES belts. You see the OEM part# on the belt? (0K95412205) That's the original 19 year old OEM belt!
The time to replace is NOW.
Yikes! I thought they were strictly Korean markings from the factory (no "Gates").

Thanks for the post & correction Cobra !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts