Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just entered the forum and got registered today and I need to post a question on a timing belt installation on my 98' Kia Sportage DOHC 2.0 4 cylinder. I have gotten everything pulled down and all and have put the new timing belt on. However, I called a garage that deals specially in import vehicles such as Kia, Mazda, Isuzu, and others and asked for the correct alignment marks on the cam and crank gears. There is a notch on the crank pully where the serpentine belt goes for the alternator and I would assume that it goes to a 12 o' clock position, at least thats what the man at the garage said. The cam gears however, have both "I" and "E" on them, as well as both having "S" and about 6 or so teeth clockwise from the "E" on each of them, is a little dot, which seems to line up at 12 o' clock position on the Intake cam and the 6 o' clock position on the exhaust. I was just wondering if the theory ( and what the man at the garage said ) that the "I" on the intake cam and the "E" on the exhaust cam, are indeed both supposed to sit at a 12 o' clock position in time with the notch on the crank pulley at the 12 o' clock position. That is what the man at the garage told me yet when I do this, the vehicle ran terrible, misfiring and sputtering and there was a noticeable tapping noise coming from the engine as if it were pinging ( spark knock due to the exhaust cam being too advanced? ) I had first thought maybe there were bent valves, I did a compression check and found all of the cylinders to be right around 210 PSI, very little difference in any of them ( 2 -5 PSI ) and not enough to constitute a bent valve ( which would relieve about 30 to 40 PSI from the combustion chamber on one or two specific cylinders, usually sister cylinders ) I concluded that the valves were alright and straight, and that the timing simply wasnt right. Can someone please send me the information I need to get this thing back on the road? Thank you ^_^

·
Registered
11 Posts
I replaced my timing belt on my 99 sportage with the overhead cam.

The left gear(intake)should be "I" should be 12 o'clock.

The right gear(exhaust) should be "E" should be 12 o'clock.

The crack shaft notch should be 12 o'clock also.

Be careful!!

I left the crack shaft bolt loose & the whole pully came off.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts