Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering purchasing this car but have a question I hope someone here can answer quickly for me. This car has a little over 100,000 miles(not ideal for me) on it and in looking online I found its recommended the timing belt be changed at 60,000 miles. One, what is the likelyhood the car would still be running without a problem if the time belt was not changed? Two, is there an easy way for me, who knows very little about cars, to check and see if this has been done? I'm going to test drive this car tomorrow night so would really like an answer before then.

If I like it I will bring it to my mechanic to check out prior to saying I'll buy it, but really don't want to have it be a waste of money by them telling me it hasn't been changed or they can't tell. I don't have the money to buy a new car and can not afford to make payments, no matter how small right now, so I'm kinda limited but really need to get an automatic(I currently have a stick) due to a knee injury. I know how much the dealership that has this car is wiling to give me for my car, that has some damange, so really don't want to chance my luck(which is pretty much non existent) elsewhere. But this used car search experience, which has only been about a month, has already left a very bad taste in my mouth. The only reason I know to check out the timing belt is because the last car I looked at had mileage that waranted a timing belt change and my mechanic could find no indication it had been done. The dealership couldn't tell me and wasn't willing to do anything for me and I can't afford to get a timing belt changed right now.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,565 Posts
There is really not a good way to know if the t/b has been changed (unless you find a reciept in the glove box) even old ones still kind of look new. Yes it could be the 9 year old belt still there. Try this, a t/b change is about $400.00 or so, get $400.00 knocked off the price of the car to cover the t/b change. If you buy this car, I would get it changed ASAP!!! If not, wave your engine good bye!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately that is part of what left the bad taste in my mouth. This dealership sells cars over a certain mileage, believe it was 100,000, "as is," so they won't do a thing for you. I tried that with the last one I was looking at, except I asked them to take off some of what they'd give me for my car to change the timing belt and they said no. They would have come out ahead by giving me less for my car, but they still wouldn't do it. :rolleyes: I've looked at other dealerships and none of them have the cars I'm looking for except ones over what I can afford or older with more mileage, so I'm kind of stuck with this dealership.

The mechanic I use told me, granted the last car I brought in was a Honda not a Kia, that they typcially put a sticker on/near the timing belt to let you know when it's been changed, do they not do this in Kias? I have no idea how that works as I haven't had to get a timing belt changed yet as I haven't had the cars long enough to require it. If I like it I'll see if there is anything else wrong with it, that can be found, first then worry about the timing belt. If nothing is wrong with it except this possibility, I'll buy it and get the timing belt done.

Thanks again for the reply.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,565 Posts
I've never heard of tech's using stickers to mark that the t/b was replaced I would guess it's what some of them do, or some shops do for there customers.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Timing belts are a real downer with older cars. You can't easily tell if they've been replaced, and engines will last for a long time on the original belt. You can only rely on the honesty of the service record (and I wouldn't take much notice of an external "sticker").

My son's old car (Ford Festiva, built by KIA), had reached 100,000km after 12 years and we had decided not to replace the timing belt due to the car's age and our intention to only use it for short suburban trips. Son then scored a job interstate, so we decided to service the car and replace the belt. Old belt looked "as good as new" and probably would have lasted the next few years until we sold the car for scrap, but we preferred the security of a solid engine on extended journeys. Cost of belt replacement was about $200.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again for the replies. The sticker must be something this mechanic is used to. Like I said, I've never had to have it done so I don't know what they do when it's replaced.

Guess I'll just see how it drives when I test it and if it drives okay bring it to my mechanic to be checked out. If this is the only problem/potential problem, I think it would be a good car for the price. Just wish I could afford new so I wouldn't have to worry about these kinds of problems.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,932 Posts
Well I see you are in the insurance industry...You should know the risks in life and in purchases... The TB is not something you fool around with on the 2.0L engine in the KIA Spectra (and Hyundai Elantra)... MOST TBs fail around 85k miles on these cars but they could hang in there a little longer.. If the belt breaks or jumps a few teeth it could spell disaster... These cars ARE very reliable providing fluids and belts are replaced.. They can go 300k miles easily.

I/We don't know much about you (male/female) or your driveway mechanic experience but a timing belt on a 2006 Spectra for an average person with a belt, some metric tools, and a couple of floor jacks is NOT really expensive ($20~$25 belt at rockauto.com with shipping) and the job is not a terrible one...just a little time consuming (aprox 4 hrs)...
We have information on HOW to do it available if you just ask!
We would be happy to add you to the thousands of Spectra owners with well over 100k miles on their cars... Mileage is not the problem...maintanence (or lack of it) is.. I have changed the TB on my wife's 07 and WILL change it on my 06 (with under 40k miles on it) this spring.
Give us some info (I know you are in Kansas and work for an insurance company...I'm a moderator here ) so we CAN help you!
The "risks" are always there with a used car but the Spectra is usually well worth the risk...I would not buy other cars with this mileage but 100k on these and they are just getting broken in!
Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts