Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
replacing belts on my 1998 Kia Sportage AT 4X4. I have a $50 gift certificate to RockAuto. Any preference on which timing belt kit to buy as they both include a water pump? Gates part# TCKWP281 or Dayco part# WP281K1A?
thanks!
Chris

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage 2WD Base Model
306 Posts
No experience with gates, but I've sold and seen literally hundreds of Dayco timing belts leave with customers and never heard of any issues with them, and it's been years so I know they're solid.

Only had one come back in a car we did the installation of the belt on and the timing tensioner spring busted, causing the belt to shred.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Greetings,

In our area, Gates branded belts are readily available, reliable, and are recommended by the local dealer as the OEM replacement belt -

I purchase Gates brand here when possible, because I have had excellent experience with their product.

--
Congrats on the gift certificate - that kit looks like it will have (almost) everything you will need to do a full TB service..

Don't forget:

"Water pump" safe RTV sealant for the water pump gasket,

Anti-Freeze / Distilled Water (or 50/50 pre-mix Coolant),
*Recommend a full (replace/refill) if 2 yrs. or older..

But if you are careful, draining the existing coolant into a large, clean drain pan, storing, and re-using / topping off with spare coolant available is entirely possible..

Good quality (blue) shop towels, non-chlorinated Brake Cleaner, a non-marring Gasket Scraper are also handy to have around,

Best wishes for a speedy repair,
GottaCruise..

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
* Just read DeeRock's post - cool.

I don't think you can go wrong with either brand - both seem to be excellent choices.

·
Premium Member
96 4 DOOR 4WD SPORTAGE, 2014 Hyundai Elantra GT, 2015 Accent Hatchback Sport
651 Posts
Make sure your new water pump has the same amount of cogs on the drive pulley as the Gold one your taking off. Sometimes they mix up the sohc with the dohc.
Belt will only last about 500 miles.
I like gates but understand dayco is good too.
upyourkia

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
I have seen Gates and Bando as OEM timing belts and I like the Gates for my cars.
Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts