Kia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Jeep Cherokee
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. My daughter has a 2006 Optima (2.7L V6) that she bought used. It has 106,000 miles on it and I'm going over it to do some repairs that should have been/ought to be done, and I'm betting the timing belt has never been changed. It's my understanding that it should have been changed around 60K miles.

I've got access to some manuals that seem pretty complete for doing this job and I wanted to solicit some experienced folks about things i should consider for this job:

1) My manual says to remove the right front tire and the inner access panel for this job. Is this the normal way that it's done? I know sometimes that there are steps included in manuals for the sake of completeness or safety, and I'm wondering if this is one of them.

2) Are there other parts I should consider doing while making this repair? A local garage highly suggests replacing the water pump while I'm at it, which also seems like a good time to change the coolant. If this is a good idea I can order one along with the other parts.

3) Does anyone know of any hidden "gotchas" involved with this repair? I'm not experienced with Kia vehicles and would hate to be bitten by something that would result in great delays because I should have ordered parts for that something ahead of time.

4) Are there any special tools required? My manual doesn't seem to indicate any, but you just never know.

Any other considerations are appreciated, and thanks in advance for your advice.

:)

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,235 Posts
It's usual to change the water pump and coolant at the same time. Have a look at the rocker cover gaskets and spark plugs while you're doing the job.

·
Registered
2001 Jeep Cherokee
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Additionally, does anyone know if there's a difference between the 2006 and the 2006+ 2.7L V6 engine?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts