Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a timing belt/water pump change done on my 2005 Sorento a few days ago and I have a couple of questions. I live in the US and this is a Sorento LX if that matters.

First, I asked the dealership to put in a new crank bolt when they did the work, which is assumed is standard practice anyways. When I picked up the car and looked at the work order/invoice, the crank bolt was not listed. When I asked about it they told me they don't typically put in new bolts. Am I correct in understanding that Kia service instructions call for a new bolt each time. I insisted they do it and they said they would have to order it, which I asked them to do. It is supposed to be in tomorrow. If the service instructions call for a new bolt each time, I don't plan on paying for the labor for this as it should have been done when the timing belt was replaced, but I want to make sure I'm correct in my understanding.

Second, since I picked up the care it has been making a strange noise, which as with most noises is very difficult to describe. It's not a metallic noise, but sounds almost like a vibrating/resonating sort of sound at idle, and almost a whining noise at higher RPMs. I was back at the dealership today and the mechanic said that is common with new timing belts and should go away shortly as the belt "breaks-in" (his terminology not mine). This is not the first timing belt done on this car and I didn't hear the noise the last time it was done. I'm skeptical of their explanation but wanted to hear if anyone has any thoughts on this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento EX
402 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, and for confirming my understanding of the bolt not being reused.

As for the other issue, the accessory belts don't seem to be overly tight. I'm supposed to be taking the car back in two days for them to install the new crank bolt. Based on the noise, I'm convinced that this is not just a "breaking-in" type of thing and that something is either too tight, adjusted incorrectly, or installed improperly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts