Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2007 kia spectra 2.0 dohc
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright my sister has a 2007 kia spectra 2.0 dohc .. one day will pulling into a parking lot the car stalled out on her and wouldn't start. Upon investigation, the camshaft gear bolt was extremely lose and the keyway was nearly worn away and bent. So I went and replaced the timing belt and new gear and key, I also did the spark plugs as they were very worn down. However the car still won't start. I know I have gas and spark and compression is slightly low but equal across all cyclinders. Is there anything that I'm missing here ? During my investigation I was able to get the car running once after much difficulty to initially start but ran just fine. The car ran fine as well with no power issues or sputtering before hand. I know I'm new here but please help !! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any help would be much appreciated, this car has been kicking my *** for a couple weeks. Just to add the battery is fully charged , no cel codes that I can get , the car will crank all day without a inkling of wanting to start, tried putting in new cam n crank sensor - did nothing .. I never heard any metal clanking noise sounding like the valves were hitting ( and I really don't want to pull the head off just to confirm ) - although soon I might just do it anyways .. I'm 99% sure the timing is right but if anything it seems like the timing chain on the opposite side is off, causing the other cam to be out ... but who knows !?

·
Registered
2013 Sportage turbo (SX model in US)
210 Posts
check starter, ignition switch, battery, and alternator. the issue should be one of them or couple.

·
Registered
2006 Spectra, 2.0 5spd silver
138 Posts
At this point, I would suggest assuming nothing. Go back and check over things which you believe to be fine, perhaps even things so basic you might have overlooked them. Check spark with an ignition tester, use a "mechanic's stethoscope" to see if your injectors are firing off steadily, inspect your air filter, double check all of your vacuum hoses and electrical connectors. What kind of spark plugs did you get? Are they pre-gapped, or do you need to gap them? Are you SURE your timing isn't 180 degrees off?

Be slow and methodical. Rushing through problems like this will only create more frustration. This is where a steady and scientific hand does best.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,924 Posts
I own 2 Spectras (2006 and 2007) and am a moderator on these forums... I'm pretty comfortable with them also...
A 2007 Spectra does have a timing belt and it will either loose teeth or break and if/when it does it USUALLY does damage to at least the head and possibly the pistons and cylinder walls... (usually pretty NASTY damage)....
What is the compression on all four cylinders (Wet/Dry)...It should be 195 PSI or higher on a healthy 2.0L KIA/Hyundai engine...any thing less and you may still have the timing off...or bent/leaky valves.... The right side of the timing belt from the cam down to the crank pulley should NOT have any slack in it... The left side (from crank to cam with tensioner idler in-between is where the slack should be until the tensioner is released....
Here is a sticky that has a LOT of information on replacing the timing belt...
http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-cerato-shuma-spectra-forum/82240-08-spectra-sx-timing-belt-replacement.html

You are NOT alone and WE WILL get your Spectra going if there isn't too much damage to it...
Engines with low mileage are also very reasonable for the Spectras either on ebay or at a local salvage yard (use car-part.com to locate one)... I have seen them with 35k miles on them for $500 or less....
Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stupid question but how can you be sure that the timing isn't off 180°? What I did is line up the mark from the crank at the T and at the cam there's that red dot and mark from the sight window in the cam.

The spark plugs I don't remember the brand but as said by the parts store they are oem. I had to gap them myself to 040.

The old timing belt didn't have any broken teeth or frayed. But to be honest while taking everything apart , there were odd bolts that seemed to be not torqued to spec as if someone else was just in there and did the belt ( and in this case left the cam bolt too loose )

The compression was about 80 at all cyclinders , and the reason I said it seemed good was the spec I got for it was only 100.

I believed this answered most of the questions..

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,924 Posts
With the compression being 80PSI on all cylinders I would tend to believe you DO have the mechanical timing off...
This engine should have at least 175~180PSI even if it has high mileage...

The engine really can't be 180 degrees out like in the older V8 engines... as the cam and crank timing is a two to one ratio...every other crank rotation causes the valves to be in either compression or exhaust modes...TDC on #1 cylinder will either be in compression or exhaust modes...

If your mechanical timing is off the valves don't close (or open) at the correct times and you don't get full compression (your 80PSI)...That's why I believe the timing belt is on wrong... Read through the timing belt thread ...
Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Alright I finally got the car running .. runs great and strong .. with some issues though.

First is it seems to stall out at idle mostly when trying to shift from drive to reverse or right after trying to put the car in gear . This is only occasionally, doesn't happen all the time .. the rpm is otherwise is around 700 at these points.

Second is that the car seems to have a high pitched whine/humming noise only noticeable at idle. This isn't very loud, but just doesn't sound right.

Also that now apparently that the speedometer doesn't work - although most likely unrelated.

But thanks for the help getting me here !

·
Registered
2006 kia spectra 2.0l
1 Posts
I have an 06 spectra 2.0. Alternator belt broke. Replaced it and now turning it over sounds like timing belt broke no compression. Checked timing belt and its not broke so I replaced it and the water pump set the marks and still same exact sound. Could i possibly be 180 out. I didn't turn it over twice after setting it like I know i should have. But I know its an interference motor. Is 180 out possible on these still.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts