·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know about a/market brand or what you might have in Australia. Interesting to see a kit of parts sold like that. However, why leave out the necessary crankshaft bolt which MUST be renewed ....... ?
I guess they are assuming that you have already had the crankshaft bolt replaced.

Correct me if I'm wrong but once the crankshaft bolt has been replaced with the new "grey one" then you don't need to replace it again.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I guess they are assuming that you have already had the crankshaft bolt replaced.

Correct me if I'm wrong but once the crankshaft bolt has been replaced with the new "grey one" then you don't need to replace it again.
New one EVERY time. (Based on the experience of others the 'grey' bolt is not much better than the original).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New one EVERY time. (Based on the experience of others the 'grey' bolt is not much better than the original).
Ah ok, noted. In the videos I have seen regarding replacing the timing belt etc on this engine I have not seen it mentioned that the bolt should be replaced, other than if you find it has the original brass type bolt.

I will order a gates kit and a new bolt as well.

·
Registered
106 Posts
So I'm working towards replacing the timing belt on my '03 Sorento as well.

Any recommendation on what brand is the best for the belt? I figure since it's a big job, might as well use the best quality belt I can find.

Is genuine the go, or is there an aftermarket brand that is better?

How does this genuine kit look?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-BRAND-NEW-TIMING-BELT-KIT-SUITS-KIA-SORENTO-3-5L-2003-2006/321894023194?epid=1644830873&hash=item4af261001a:g:t0YAAOSwkh9aZWh9
Sorento and Sedona same years share same engine that's based on the Mitsubishi v6 engine. The OEM is the Aisin water pump and related belts. You can get the OEM AISIN kit from Rockauto. It comes with Aisin water pump and Mitsuboshi timing belt and other Koyo brand idler pulleys and tensioner.

I bought that one and replaced the timing belt. They fit like gloves. They are very good parts. The timing was perfect with the belt included.

I've heard GATES make good belts, too.

Don't forget to replace the main oil seal at the crank. You should do it when you are already in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
glycine4
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing