Kia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Sportage - CRDI - 2.0 Liter - LX - 4WD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Every one, I hope you stay healthy and safe.
Recently I bought the Kia Sportage CRDI 2005 that uses Diesel as fuel,
I really need to know the time needed to warm its engine in winter and in the summer
Thank you very much.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,116 Posts
Hello Every one, I hope you stay healthy and safe.
Recently I bought the Kia Sportage CRDI 2005 that uses Diesel as fuel,
I really need to know the time needed to warm its engine in winter and in the summer
Thank you very much.
How long is yours taking to reach normal operating temperature?

If you drive it immediately after starting it cold, it should not take longer than 10 to 15 minutes to reach normal operating temperature with an ambient around 20 degC.

Reactions: Lou O.

·
Registered
2005 Sportage - CRDI - 2.0 Liter - LX - 4WD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long is yours taking to reach normal operating temperature?

If you drive it immediately after starting it cold, it should not take longer than 10 to 15 minutes to reach normal operating temperature with an ambient around 20 degC.
It takes less than 15 min a think
but, should I warm it up for 2 min or I can drive it immediately after starting it cold?

·
Registered
Sportage 2009 Titan 2.0 CRDi
28 Posts
There are a lot more diesel Sportages in the UK and Europe than the USA so the Kia Owners Club UK forum will probably answer your questions more reliably ( www.kiaownersclub.co.uk ).

I have a 2010 CRDi and, as ron1004 says, just start it up and drive it. When starting wait until the glow plug light goes out before cranking the engine otherwise it will run slightly lumpily at first. Drive the first mile or so at normal speeds with gentle acceleration (this protects the turbo bearings) then treat it like any other car. It is a good idea to idle the engine for 30 seconds before switching off to give the turbo bearings time to cool a bit before the oil supply is cut off. Make sure you change the oil and filter at least every 12 months or 12,000 miles and use the correct grade oil.

Enjoy the car.

·
Registered
2018 Sportage CRDI
53 Posts
I own a 2018 CRDI & the manual recommends a 20 second warm up everytime you start the engine. Some say this is to enable the oil to reach the turbo bearings. As you drive off in the morning or the first time driving off in the day, don’t race the engine, just drive slow or moderate until the car reaches adequate temp. Then, when you stop the car, a 1 minute turbo cooldown after long drives, spirited drives or towing is recommended although I do everytime since it won’t hurt to. Some say driving slow before reaching your destination should serve as the cooldown.

Reactions: Lou O.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts