Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Sorento 3.5lt 5 Speed Sports Auto
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm knew to this forum and have been searching around to find some help, but can't seem to find anything specific to my problems. I have 2 issues.

1. When taking off (only after stopping quickly) I notice a small thump, or sometimes when stopping quickly I also notice a small thump just as the car is about to stop... I usually try to slow down slowly to avoid it happening, or I try to take my foot off the break slowly to avoid it happening (when taking off), but still happens when ever I have to stop suddenly (if it can't be avoided)... has anyone heard of this?

2. I've also noticed when I turn the key to the ON position (without starting it up), I can hear a high pitch tone. When trying to find it, I would get out of the car leave the key in the ON position it sounded like it was coming from underneath the car on the drivers side. After a bit of searching around I noticed that if I took out the fuse for the transmission, the noise would go away. The procedure was, key in the ON position the noise was heard. Turn the key to the OFF position, remove the transmission fuse, turn the key to ON (not starting it up). NO noise is heard. Turn the key to OFF, put the fuse in again. When the key is in the ON position noise is back. If I start it up it's too hard to hear the noise because the engine is louder, but I suspect the noise is still present.

Kia Sorento 2005 EX BL
3.5 lt
5 speed sports automatic
RHD (I'm located in Australia)
145,000 kilometers (90,000 miles)

I assume these two problems aren't normal? Any input would appreciated.. I really love this car and I don't want to get rid of it because of these little problems.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento 3.5 5sp Auto
267 Posts
Where abouts in aus?
Might not help much but when it was low on transmission fluid after changing, it would thump around when shifting.
So easy one i guess is check your transmission fluid level.
Remember to have your car running and transmission fluid hot (after a drive) on a level surface when checking levels.

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
1: Sounds like you're due for a good lube job. The oil in the three differentials (front/center/rear) should be changed regularly. The symptoms are as you describe. The rear Dif being the most likely candidate for this "thump".

2: I would check vacuum lines that control the locking of the center dif and the front wheel hubs. I haven't noticed a noise from mine with it, but I can check after work, it may be normal, and you're just noticing it now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm over in Melb.
My tranny fluid is good.. I checked this first. Thanks

1. After doing a heap of searching around yesterday, I found a few articles. All of them were pointing to the drive shaft slip joint. They mentioned it needs to be serviced. I checked out mine last night and noticed some grease nipples on the front prop shaft and just near the slip joint on the middle prop shaft but I couldn't see one near the rear diff, although it was a bit late and hard to get a good light. I'm thinking I might change the lube in all the diffs (thanks ratsttam) and grease these joints at the same time. Question.... Is it enough to simply use a grease gun to pump the grease in, or should the drives shafts be removed cleaned and re greased? Can anyone advise what grease I should ask for at the local speed shop? I'd rather get some advice here before going in.

2. This is the weirdest noise... it's almost like an electrical noise.. it's a high pitch tone.. it's hard to describe. I can check the vacuum lines since I'm planning on doing a full service this weekend. I think I'm going to see if i can locate the exact source of the "high pitched tone" and report back... any more tips\hints might help before i start my search.

·
Registered
267 Posts
If your replacing the oil in the rear diff, you have to raise the rear end off the ground a fair bit. I think you have to raise the diff 8 inches or something off the ground?

That is so you can get enough oil in there or its not enough oil.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE

1. I ended up doing doing a service on the Sorento yesterday. in doing so my main goal was to take a look at the rear prop shaft.... ummmm.. I crawl under the car and what do it see??? I was shocked... Where the front of the rear prop sharft meets the transfer case, I see one bolt missing one bolt lose and only two bolts tighten up. I also noticed that the propshaft had a sticker on it making me feel like it's not the original and had been replaced at some stage in the cars life. Anyways... i pulled the thing out and checkout the slip joint and to my surprise "NO" grease at all. It was completely dry. I pulled it all apart (marking it to make sure I don't put it back together wrong and throw out the balance), greased it all up. I also got the grease gun to the CV joints. There's one at the back of the propshaft, and two at the front.. One is for the DV joint, and the other is for the slip joint. I put it together (still one bolt missing... kia have ordered it on for me $3.50). No more bumping at all... FIXED... the thing feels perfect. I'm so happy.

I then decided to do some other mods. I disabled the intake manifold butterflys by unplugging the actuator connector near the battery. I feel heaps better about this.

I also removed the air box and went down to my local Autobarn store to buy a high flow cone filter... and some adapters to make it all fit. Hopefully this helps with economy.

I changed the oil and filter.

This weekend the tranny will get a once over. I'll dump all the tranny fluid. I've bought a new gasket kit and filter (I didn't realise these things need about 10 Litres of tanny fluid). I've noticed it is over full... yes... I checked it when its hot. I'm noticing the gear changes aren't the smoothest.. in fact when slowing down to lights, I notice that it gears down from 3rd straight into 1st... even if I slow down gradually. When doing this the car jolts slightly... I assume this is because it's skipping 2nd. I would've thought it would go in into second... but it doesn't... hopefully the new transmission fluid (and the right amount) might make it gear down nicer. Could too much transmission fluid make the transmission 'jolt' slightly?

I also hope to change the plugs this weekend, although this looks like it's gonna take a while.

2. I haven't had time to locate this odd 'electrical' tone\noise. I haven't made this a priority but I may look into more once the transmission service is done. Still hoping for some advice on this one.

I also hope to replace all the diff oils as well.

·
Registered
267 Posts
i have found the rear diff procedure - here it is

"When topping-off or inspecting the rear differential
fluid level on 2WD and 4WD Sorento models, it is
necessary to position the rear wheels at least 8 inches
higher than the front wheels. This procedure is
required to ensure that the rear axle housing is filled
with the specified volume of gear oil (1.6L or 54 oz.).
Failure to elevate the rear of the vehicle will result in
a low fluid level and may cause insufficient lubrication
of the rear differential and rear wheel bearings.
The front differential on 4WD models can be inspected
and filled to the specified capacity (1.3L or 44 oz.)
when the vehicle is at a level condition.
Please note that the Sorento front and rear differential
housings are factory-filled with gear oil containing
molybdenum disulfide and graphite. These additives
cause the lubricant to have a gray-black color, as
opposed to the amber color of conventional gear oils
that do not contain these additives."

With the transmission fluid, the engine must be running when checking it.
When replacing the transmission fluid, only about 4L is in the pan. The other about 6L is in the torque converter. To change it out, drop the oil in the pan, replace, then remove the return pipe from the transmission cooler at the front. start the engine, the oil will come running out of the return pipe. As its coming out, keep topping up the transmission oil into the pan (via dipstick entry). Stop and catch up with the oil going back in every so often. (took me 3 or 4 goes.) Eventually you will see new fluid coming out. Put everything back together and all done..

ATF help:
http://www.kia-forums.com/2003-2010-sorento-forum/82789-atf-replacement.html

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey RandomBob, this is awesome info. I appreciate your help. I'll print all this out, and get familiar with it all before I do it. I hope it fixes the "not so smooth" gear downs...

I might research the 'type' of diff oil needed. sounds like the additives Kia use aren't present in normal diff oil.

When speaking with the guys at Autobarn yesterday.... they turned their noses up when I said I've been researching on forums.... Turns out they didn't know too much at all when I starting asking "general" questions. My 'proper' speed shop (where I always went has just been bought by repco... and isn't the same anymore. A lot of the good staff have left.

·
Registered
267 Posts
With the diff oil kia simply states these specifications:
SAE85W90, API GL-5 (Mobil : INFILREX 33,SK : G-LS)
So anything that meets those spec levels should be fine.

I put in Penrite GEAR OIL 80W-90 Mineral
Penrite Oil - A Better Class Of Oil

Its an LSD diff oil, and seems to be working fine. The oil is API GL-5 specification rating.
(LSD kicks in right away)

Front 1.3 L, rear 1.6 L
If you get the Penrite 1L bottles they have an extendable spout that help alot!
Good luck!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Also google some generic ATF fluid change flush on youtube.
That is how i basically found the procedure. And just helps watching a quick 10 minute video or two before you do it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey RandomBob,

Thanks mate. I did what you suggested (Re YOUTUBE AND ATF change\flush). Looks pretty easy.

I just rang my local kia they said the APOLLOIL ATF RED-1 is $47.00 per litre. They only sell it in 1lt bottles. This seems a little steep especially since I'll need 10 litres. Do I have to use this oil? Is there a substitute? It just costs too much. Can I get it from somewhere else besides Kia?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I noticed in your other post (I read it over again) you mentioned you used Penrite ATF FS Full Synthetic. How long ago did you do it? Have you noticed any difference? would you recommend it? How many K's have you done with it?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hey mate,

Only done it earlier this year. Would be less than 5000km.
The thing is with the process of doing the flush (as i mentioned) your likely going to go though a little more. Now if you waste some oil and need more than 10 litres, sometimes the dealerships wont have it (order it in as required due to the price), so your stuck waiting with too little oil in your gearbox. So i went for a more mainstream one.

There is a lot and i mean pages and pages of debates on the oil to use for the transmission. Just google the name of the oil. (apollo oil red-1). you will threads on it from all over (aus, US, UK...).
After doing a fair bit of research, i chose penrite over mobile, or shell.

These gearboxes are apparently made by nissan, and in the nissan's the say to use matic j i believe. (dont take my word for the letter, check it out yourself.)
In the US on the nissan forums, people have been using other oils and reporting no issues. The gearbox also seems to be used in the hyundai genises coupe, with tuners puting high power through them, and they have also switched to a more 'generic' oil, with no reported issues.

Take a look around, lots of info and make your own educated guess.
I am happy with my decision. I mean the previous owner put in dex 3, which kia recomend against. It still worked with that oil 50000km.

Also if you want to try and hunt down some apollo oil red-1, my research point to a Japanese company called idemitsu oil producing it. And i havent been able to find an Aus supplier of it.

As i said i am happy with my choice, and in 50 000km i will drain and replace with the same.
Sure it may not be the exact one specified, but i will also be doing it at half the recommended interval. Its very smooth, shifts fine, and cant really notice anything 'wrong' with it.

If you really want the kia one, this is the cheapest i found

2004 2010 Kia Red 1 Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF Sorento Borrego Case Lots | eBay

I requested a quote for shipping and it was $166, and that was september last year.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for sending the ebay seller... I'm amazed at how they can sell a case over there for $100 and over here it's $41 bucks a bottle. I'm 'almost' happy to pay the $170.00 freight charge.

(By the way... I made a mistake when I said $47 in my other post... it's $41 per litre)

I really appreciate you giving me this info. I might actually buy it from them... $270.00 is alot better than $410.00.. and I get about 12 quarts... about 11 litres... this is perfect.

Thanks again mate.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought I'd give a quick update for the benefit off anyone researching this.

I haven't changed the transmission fluid yet... since I need to buy it from America via ebay... however the whole reason i wanted to do a full flush was because when gearing down and stopping the car.. the transmission wasn't the smoothest when it went into first. After noticing the transmission fluid was slightly over full, I ended up taking a litre out. The level is now "spot on".. I've been driving around for the past few days, have notice a 100% improvement. this gear down issue is gone. I honestly didn't think an extra litre of transmission fluid would cause problems... however... obviously it does. I'll still do the flush... eventually... but I "believe" the gear down issue has been resolved. :D

Also greasing the slip joint, fixed the small thump\jolt at take off after stopping quickly at a set of lights...

The car feels great.
(I still want to change the oil in the diffs... at least this oil is cheap and easy to get in Aus...)

I'm yet find out what the high pitched noise is when the ignition is in the on position, but if I ever work it out, I'll be sure to post another update.

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,918 Posts
You dont need special oil for the transfer case...
Actually Kia did publish a document stating the opposite. Whether that oil is still available is another question, but UK (at least) dealers do supply Kia 'own brand' which also is available as part of a service kit (for 20k miles service intervals, which is the amended, recommended change interval for the transfer case.) Also a magnetic drain plug is avaialble if not already fitted.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
I assume that that is the TOD transfer case. That one is not comonly used in the Au models, most are the part time 4x4 models. I believe that the Kia recommended fluid for them was Shell Donax, which was a Shell Dex3 oil. I didn't think it mattered for the ordinary Tx case what oil you used als long as it was ATF Dex 3 because they don't have the hydraulic multiplate clutches in them.

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,918 Posts
I assume that that is the TOD transfer case.
Yes, sorry. I usally presume TOD if not mentioned as that is more common (problem area) here. Better than assuming it's the non-TOD and giving incorrect advice. :)

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
Yes Hyundai released the Terracan in Australia with the TOD transfercase on the top of the line Highlander model. Sadly people bought these thinking they were getting the best car. The bottom and mid spec ones with the normal part time case (exactly the same gearbox / Tx case as in the Sorento) turned out to be the more reliable buy over time.

Maybe all those warranty claims on the TOD Terracan led to them not releasing the TOD model in the Sorento in Aus. Or maybe because we don't have icy roads here in winter except for one very small part of the country, it really isn't any advantage for us to buy them.

Most of the people who bought Sorento's or Terracans in Aus bought them to tow caravans, horses, or boats, or to drive on dirt roads or beaches so only use 4WD when they need it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts