Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Rio SLi 'Latte' 6AT 1.6GDi
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be getting picky here but I figured it might be worth a mention..
has anyone noticed that the throttle response isn't especially sharp? Like, giving the accelerator pedal a stab does almost nothing? I did a test with my parents cars (Mazda CX9 and Nissan Pathfinder) and giving the throttle a stab (actually just giving them a half stab) would send them up to 5500rpm and 4000rpm respectively. I know that the Kia isn't a 3.7L V6 or 3.3 V6 but surely it'd be a bit sharper than what it is?

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Hi, I noticed it too and thought it was my mind playing games on me. So I'm not alone to find a stab on the accelerator does absolutely nothing. Why is that? Since I have no other car to make a comparison from but my old Neon 2000, I can say that caressing the accelerator then would push the rev to 4000 and the wheels would almost spin. Maybe a tech can give us a basic lesson in throttle response.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, I noticed it too and thought it was my mind playing games on me. So I'm not alone to find a stab on the accelerator does absolutely nothing. Why is that? Since I have no other car to make a comparison from but my old Neon 2000, I can say that caressing the accelerator then would push the rev to 4000 and the wheels would almost spin. Maybe a tech can give us a basic lesson in throttle response.
No you most certainly aren't!
The only thing I could put it down to is the 'drive by wire' throttle but even then surely it would at least be responsive to a stab...

But yes, definitely a tech could give us an insight! There has to be one on these forums..

·
Registered
Rio5 SX, White/Beige leather, UVO
17 Posts
Also coming from a Neon which does respond to a stabbin', I was wondering the same thing. I assumed it had to do with the way GDI worked.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
464 Posts
What gear?

Things that may be causing issue:

-traction control (turn it off its more launch control, the safety systems dont turn off)
-sitting outside optimum torque range
-wrong gear
-VVI system
-gear set up
-current gear preference (economy, sports and aggressive)

Gears is probably the biggest. If your in its final drive its not going to do much of anything. That gear is set up for cruising. Its not meant for sudden acceleration. If you want that snappy feel it helps if your sitting inside the peak torque range in 2nd-4th. You got a lot of play with the gears so you wont be putting excessive strain on the car but your fuel economy goes out the window.

Also this issue is in the other family engines over at Mitsubishi (Hyundai/Kia, Mitsubishi, Chrysler world engine program). The Lancer has a similar issue but its not as bad as the Kia and the Kia dont have a torque curve like a blind man painting lane divider lines on a pogo stick...

Downshift to appropriate gear and little Kia will haul ass

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What gear?
No gear TJ, neutral or park, a stab does nothing.

Given that yes, when in gear and you decide to put your foot through the firewall, there is quite a bit of go in the correct gear. But when stabbing the throttle in neutral or park does almost nothing, it does make you wonder.
Try it!

Apart from the drive by wire throttle, I could only also think of the little 1.6 litre capacity of the motor, whereas anything bigger could be more responsive but I don't know for sure...

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
464 Posts
That explains a few things then if your doing it in park.

VVI system or the ECU programming.

With the VVI; its based on speed and if its sensing travel through the RPM band but no acceleration it wont open up the shorter tract giving off slow travel through the RPM band.

ECU programming could have it set up to limit the possibility of accidental acceleration. Seeing as Toyota had a very public issue over that I dont think many manufacturers would want a repeat of it so they will limit it to the best they can to prevent it happening.

Are you doing this to get some noise out of the little Kia??

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That explains a few things then if your doing it in park.

VVI system or the ECU programming.

With the VVI; its based on speed and if its sensing travel through the RPM band but no acceleration it wont open up the shorter tract giving off slow travel through the RPM band.

ECU programming could have it set up to limit the possibility of accidental acceleration. Seeing as Toyota had a very public issue over that I dont think many manufacturers would want a repeat of it so they will limit it to the best they can to prevent it happening.

Are you doing this to get some noise out of the little Kia??
That would definitely explain why it has that 'laggy' feeling when in neutral or park but in drive or any gear, it responds as usual..

No, doing that is just a waste of petrol, if I wanted noise I'd just mash the accelerator in drive since we can legally do that as the Rio doesn't have that much power :p

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
I anyone tries stabbing the throttle from idle to redline like I do, the VVI has 3 different positions it has to move through and the throttle response is therefore NOT F1-like.

Between VVI and all the other granny-fying electronics, the engine has good effeciency, but is Microsoft-like in its response (Eg: are you sure you want to GO?) Very frustrating.

No direct relationship between efficiency, response, and power. Ugh.

·
Registered
109 Posts
the electronic-controlled throttle must have some lag in response time too when compared to the mechanical ones in the neon and cx9 and whatnot.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
If auto, it's set up for economy not power, so you have to just tramp it and hope for the best

if manual, first gear is a little pointless and yes it's doughy.. i've commented on that a few times to other people, but it's just to get moving, second gear once wound up will kick a goal or two, and third will pull hard enough as well. Second is the hero gear around town. Get to second asap then just hold that gear to do what you need to do.

First gear in the manual is also very touchy, it's virtually impossible to coast in a carpark slowly between speedhumps for example without it jerking around, no matter how smooth you are. It just involves a lot of clutch slip and pedal work instead. Digital throttles and T/B's are not ideal for real feel but they're the cheaper mass-production method now and do allow for advances in their own right.

Small n/a engines don't have much torque so they need revs, and good gearing to get going.

First is to get moving, second is to 'get moving'.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If auto, it's set up for economy not power, so you have to just tramp it and hope for the best
if manual, first gear is a little pointless and yes it's doughy.. i've commented on that a few times to other people, but it's just to get moving, second gear once wound up will kick a goal or two, and third will pull hard enough as well. Second is the hero gear around town. Get to second asap then just hold that gear to do what you need to do.
First gear in the manual is also very touchy, it's virtually impossible to coast in a carpark slowly between speedhumps for example without it jerking around, no matter how smooth you are. It just involves a lot of clutch slip and pedal work instead. Digital throttles and T/B's are not ideal for real feel but they're the cheaper mass-production method now and do allow for advances in their own right.
Small n/a engines don't have much torque so they need revs, and good gearing to get going.

First is to get moving, second is to 'get moving'.
I indeed have an auto and yeah it does need a good mash to get it going, unless I use the manual mode (so very useless, can't skip gears!) but even with the autos manual, first gear does have a very jerky feel to it.

I like that analogy, "first is to get moving, second is to 'get moving'" :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts