Kia Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
I think I made a little too much of the throttle lag in my truck. I had to work on the spare tire the other day and I took it for a little ride after. Its really okay except for that fast throttle blip, but if you just forget about doing that it really drives great and has surprising results from the big 4.2L V6. This is an engine from the 20th century - iron block and heads, cam-in-block, pushrods but also with multi-port fuel injection and electronic engine control. Beats the heck out of a carburetor.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage SX AWD and 1988 Mercedes 300CE
359 Posts
If there is throttle lag on a NA engine, I would think that would be due more to ignition timing/knock sensor activation (possibility dirty air filter, or fuel restriction). I'm not sure that increasing the sensitivity of the throttle in anyway "fixes" thids problem (may mask it to some degree).

On the other hand on a turbo boosted engine, initial throttle lag is more attributable to turbo lag, which increased throttle sensitivity might mask the issues noted above until boost kicks in. But then unless the throttle software is written to lower the sensitivity as boost comes up, it's going to make that transition to boost a significant kick.
This can already be seen to sme extent when selecting Sport mode versus Normal on the SX (one of the reasons that I say the car looks a little like a frog, and can jump like one too).

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
957 Posts
If there is throttle lag on a NA engine, I would think that would be due more to ignition timing/knock sensor activation (possibility dirty air filter, or fuel restriction). I'm not sure that increasing the sensitivity of the throttle in anyway "fixes" thids problem (may mask it to some degree).
All these "boosters" do is to make the accelerator need less of a push. So with a booster, when you push the pedal 1/8 of the distance it acts like you pushed it 1/4 of the distance. It doesn't change anything in the engine or ECU. Basically, the gas pedal is a bit more sensitive to the touch. It makes it "feel" like the engine has more zip because of this even though it doesn't. If you have a heavy foot, you'll notice less of a difference. If you have a "dainty" foot, you'll notice it much more because the speed at which you push down the gas pedal is slower.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX AWD
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Here's a good explanation on how this booster actually works. It doesn't matter if you have a heavy foot or a dainty foot. You can't make the throttle open any faster the faster or harder you hit the accelerator petal. It actually makes it like an old school, cable style system. Todays electronic versions are not as instantaneous as cables were.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage SX AWD and 1988 Mercedes 300CE
359 Posts
All these "boosters" do is to make the accelerator need less of a push. So with a booster, when you push the pedal 1/8 of the distance it acts like you pushed it 1/4 of the distance. It doesn't change anything in the engine or ECU. Basically, the gas pedal is a bit more sensitive to the touch. It makes it "feel" like the engine has more zip because of this even though it doesn't. If you have a heavy foot, you'll notice less of a difference. If you have a "dainty" foot, you'll notice it much more because the speed at which you push down the gas pedal is slower.
Exactly what I was sayin! These boosters will not eliminate any acceleration lag. They only mask it by forcing the throttle to open further/faster. If there is true lag in engine response (e.g. a momentary instantaneous flooring of the throttle results in a hesitation prior to acceleration), this will not be "corrected" but may be somewhat masked by these boosters.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
957 Posts
Here's a good explanation on how this booster actually works. It doesn't matter if you have a heavy foot or a dainty foot. You can't make the throttle open any faster the faster or harder you hit the accelerator petal. It actually makes it like an old school, cable style system. Todays electronic versions are not as instantaneous as cables were.
Be careful, this is a sales video. The demo they showed is a worst case experience which is not true for most of the cars today. It's just like the videos showing vast hp increases with CAI's -- it's easy to manipulate the results. Again, these devices are just signal amplifiers and in most cases where I've read the actual results, IS the same as stepping on the gas faster. There is nothing for a manufacturer to gain by slowing down the signal from the accelerator to the throttle body. That said, this can be a way to get a better FEELING, while driving the car as you get more throttle with a "dainty" foot. Personally, I hate demos like this because people actually believe them....

·
Registered
2019 Sportage LX AWD, 2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS
12 Posts
I have a 2019 with 2.4ltr. IMOHO, there is no need for these. If I wanted an immediate throttle response or quick acceleration, I just select the SPORT mode.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX AWD
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I have a 2019 with 2.4ltr. IMOHO, there is no need for these. If I wanted an immediate throttle response or quick acceleration, I just select the SPORT mode.
I do tend to agree with this.. and the reason I had questioned whether this was actually needed for the Sportage or not.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX AWD
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Be careful, this is a sales video...
I don't see this as a sales video at all... He's just demonstrating what the part does. Now, if the follow-up to this was seeing loads of people posting videos stating that this product doesn't work, then I would agree with you. But I don't see that.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
957 Posts
I don't see this as a sales video at all... He's just demonstrating what the part does. Now, if the follow-up to this was seeing loads of people posting videos stating that this product doesn't work, then I would agree with you. But I don't see that.
Do you actually believe it moves the throttle that much faster??? Really???? I could easily build a prototype that does the same thing. It doesn't mean that's how it actually works in the car. I doubt whether people who buy this actually know if there is that much lag in the accelerator. Most likely, they press the pedal lightly and the throttle moves more and thus they get the "feeling" it works and that is good enough for them. Part of this product is psychological. Do you believe everything you see on the internet? I don't. I had a career in marketing and made many commercials and product demos. We always highlighted the maximum difference. Let me put forth this question.... Why would your car's throttle open so slowly even when the pedal is floored quickly? Wouldn't there be a mechanical limit to the speed at which the throttle could move? How could just changing the signal change the mechanics of the throttle? I'm a skeptic unless there is a rational reason for a change. Changing the cam to increase compression would increase performance. Speeding up the turbo would change performance (but that requires stronger parts than those that come with the car). If you want to believe that you can get something for nothing, then go ahead.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX AWD
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Do you actually believe it moves the throttle that much faster??? Really???? I could easily build a prototype that does the same thing. It doesn't mean that's how it actually works in the car. I doubt whether people who buy this actually know if there is that much lag in the accelerator. Most likely, they press the pedal lightly and the throttle moves more and thus they get the "feeling" it works and that is good enough for them. Part of this product is psychological. Do you believe everything you see on the internet? I don't. I had a career in marketing and made many commercials and product demos. We always highlighted the maximum difference. Let me put forth this question.... Why would your car's throttle open so slowly even when the pedal is floored quickly? Wouldn't there be a mechanical limit to the speed at which the throttle could move? How could just changing the signal change the mechanics of the throttle? I'm a skeptic unless there is a rational reason for a change. Changing the cam to increase compression would increase performance. Speeding up the turbo would change performance (but that requires stronger parts than those that come with the car). If you want to believe that you can get something for nothing, then go ahead.
Hey, I didn't create the product. I didn't invent the product. And i never stated this is what our cars need and or claimed it's an excellent upgrade. But, yes I do believe it opens the throttle faster than your 'powerful' foot can do it. Our cars are run by wire... not by cable. There is a lag in the wire, on most cars - and yes, it does change the electrical signal between the throttle petal and the throttle body. I can't say for sure it does for our cars yet... as no one with 'actual experience' on how these affect our cars has chimed in yet - just those with an opinion. So unless you know 100% for sure that it doesn't work as they say, then you really shouldn't be arguing with nothing to back it up.
I've seen enough videos regarding the booster to know it works. Could they all be lying to us and giving us fake news? Sure, but then I would expect to see loads of videos claiming it doesn't work, too.. but i've not seen any yet.
I'm in marketing too and know their can be a bit of trickery behind a product or sale... Also, i am aware of 'other' performance upgrades, cams, exhausts, intakes, etc... put those require more money and a more serious commitment. This was just a throttle booster post not a hp performance upgrade post. And as you've already said before, 'if you want to waste my money on nothing, than go ahead'. I would assume that means you are done talking about it. But you haven't yet. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
957 Posts
Hey, I didn't create the product. I didn't invent the product. And i never stated this is what our cars need and or claimed it's an excellent upgrade. But, yes I do believe it opens the throttle faster than your 'powerful' foot can do it. Our cars are run by wire... not by cable. There is a lag in the wire, on most cars - and yes, it does change the electrical signal between the throttle petal and the throttle body. I can't say for sure it does for our cars yet... as no one with 'actual experience' on how these affect our cars has chimed in yet - just those with an opinion. So unless you know 100% for sure that it doesn't work as they say, then you really shouldn't be arguing with nothing to back it up.
I've seen enough videos regarding the booster to know it works. Could they all be lying to us and giving us fake news? Sure, but then I would expect to see loads of videos claiming it doesn't work, too.. but i've not seen any yet.
I'm in marketing too and know their can be a bit of trickery behind a product or sale... Also, i am aware of 'other' performance upgrades, cams, exhausts, intakes, etc... put those require more money and a more serious commitment. This was just a throttle booster post not a hp performance upgrade post. And as you've already said before, 'if you want to waste my money on nothing, than go ahead'. I would assume that means you are done talking about it. But you haven't yet. :rolleyes:
It's all been said. I guess I'm just skeptical and hate to see people getting ripped off. Since I'm also involved with electronics, I guess I don't understand technically how there is a "lag" in the signal as the speed of electrons through a wire is a constant. Once the signal reaches the throttle actuator, I also don't understand how you could make that actuator move faster unless it was poorly designed in the first place. I do understand how you can change the amount the actuator moves in relation to the position of the accelerator pedal, which is what I understand these devices actually do. So if you move the accelerator pedal at the same speed with and without this device, the throttle will move faster. But if you move your foot faster without this device, you should be able to get the same results. I can't see these devices hurting the car, but I also can't see any real technical benefit. It can make the car "feel" faster, but it can also make acceleration harder to control for people who are not great drivers (i.e., most of the population).

21 - 33 of 33 Posts