Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX AWD
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me first start out by saying, I know who isn't going to like this post - rvoll - But let me preface by saying, I am in no way endorsing this product, I am only wanting to start the discussion about it. And for the record, this product does not claim to increase horsepower - it just changes your driving experience... aka, fun-factor.

Also I must give props to Kekesxsportage for first bring this product up in previous post. I was assuming he was going to start a new thread about it but perhaps he decided not to.

Okay, so i've been doing a little research on it and i've come to the conclusion this it could be something cool to use for everyday driving. I did find out that the particular brand Kekesxsportage was referring to, "Pedal Commander", may not be the best one out there. Many are saying "Sprint Booster" is the original brand that started it all and the rest are simply copycats. But who knows. But if I were to get this I would buy the Sprint Booster brand myself. I also discovered, one of my favorite YouTube channels promoted it back in 2016. So if you are interested in a true, unbiased opinion, watch this video -

So, in conclusion, just know this is not a horsepower gain device... it's a quicker throttle response, possible better driving experience one. And lets face it, no one with a Sportage is out there to take their car to the Friday night drag strip or to do runs on the Nurburgring... we just want to make our cars a little more fun to drive around town or cruise on some nice country roads. And maybe be a little quicker than the Sportage next to you. ;)

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
957 Posts
You knew I would respond, but you shouldn't prejudge my response. If you drive your car aggressively, changing the accelerator curve makes sense. I put the throttle down more aggressively than most people and this would suit me just fine. The negative part of this is that most people (in my opinion), drive so poorly that I can just see them putting the car in reverse, thinking that it is in drive, and getting into more accidents because they are giving their cars more gas sooner and thus have less control. I'm sure that's why manufacturers don't make their throttles more aggressive. Also, maintaining a certain speed on a long trip going at 65 mph is probably more difficult (going at 80+ like I do shouldn't be a problem). It's an interesting mod, and it actually makes far more sense than chips or CAI's. Surprise.....

·
Registered
2018 SPORTAGE LX AWD
65 Posts
This reminds me of the old throttle plate hack that owners of Chevy's with Vortec engines would do. Those plates had a crescent shaped diffuser on them, which would throttle even more of the air as the plate first angles down. You cut that off and you get a more linear throttle curve = better throttle response and more "punch". I did this on an S10 that I owned, and it made me realize that the diffuser was probably there to serve as a crude traction control and safety device.

Anyway, these electronic devices probably work by uniformly substituting the resistance values or voltage signals produced by the Accelerator Position Pedal (APP) sensors. There are two sensors and if remember correctly APP 1 and APP 2 are inverted from each other. So at, say, 1/4 throttle APP 1 is 1.0 volts, and APP 2 is 4.0 volts; at 1/3 throttle, if APP 1 is 2.2 volts, APP 2 is 2.8 volts, and so on. The device probably finds a way to substitute these values by a few steps.

I'm sure if a dealer saw this device on your vehicle, they would consider your warranty void, especially if your car develops a powertrain problem.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX AWD
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You knew I would respond...
I did. haha... but i'm glad to know you would actually consider this mod. I didn't quite understand what you meant about people accidentally putting their car in reverse instead of drive. But I do wonder if the same throttle response does work when in reverse. I can see that being an issue for parallel parking, etc... maybe it doesn't work in reverse - who knows.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX AWD
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This reminds me of the old throttle plate hack that owners of Chevy's with Vortec engines would do. Those plates had a crescent shaped diffuser on them, which would throttle even more of the air as the plate first angles down. You cut that off and you get a more linear throttle curve = better throttle response and more "punch". I did this on an S10 that I owned, and it made me realize that the diffuser was probably there to serve as a crude traction control and safety device.

Anyway, these electronic devices probably work by uniformly substituting the resistance values or voltage signals produced by the Accelerator Position Pedal (APP) sensors. There are two sensors and if remember correctly APP 1 and APP 2 are inverted from each other. So at, say, 1/4 throttle APP 1 is 1.0 volts, and APP 2 is 4.0 volts; at 1/3 throttle, if APP 1 is 2.2 volts, APP 2 is 2.8 volts, and so on. The device probably finds a way to substitute these values by a few steps.

I'm sure if a dealer saw this device on your vehicle, they would consider your warranty void, especially if your car develops a powertrain problem.
This actually reminds me of back in my day, when we used to put a bolt in the throttle body of our old Scirocco's and GTI's... as the throttle cable pulled the larger, second chamber of the throttle body open at the same time as the smaller, first one. It gave a quicker rush of air into the intake which made your car feel quicker off the line. haha... Same difference.
As far as voiding the warranty goes, you can always remove it before you take it to the shop. ;)

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,069 Posts
With the lack of skills in many of today's drivers(?)....R for RACE?????
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
These "units" are not just a Kia thing, some Avenger owners from another forum I'm on have them and like it. It does reduce "throttle lag" My same concern about certain driving conditions having to be "monitored" much more closely in "right foot application" with such an item installed.
Also on Avengers, they have a "trick" that can be done to closer match pedal movement to throttle opening response, WITHOUT any special scanner/programmers anyway. So in my "book" rather unneeded for those cars.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
499 Posts
I did. haha... but i'm glad to know you would actually consider this mod. I didn't quite understand what you meant about people accidentally putting their car in reverse instead of drive. But I do wonder if the same throttle response does work when in reverse. I can see that being an issue for parallel parking, etc... maybe it doesn't work in reverse - who knows.
Look up Audi Sudden Acceleration. This is how we got the shift interlock system as we know it today. People thought they had their cars in drive, but in reality it was reverse, and they ran other people over killing them. Now you have to have a foot on the brake to shift out of park + the entire gas pedal to brake pedal relationship was re engineered and standards created for all auto manufacturers who sell in the US to follow!

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX AWD
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Look up Audi Sudden Acceleration. This is how we got the shift interlock system as we know it today....
My wife has a 2018 A5 Sportback... and yes, I hate her shift lever. With her set-up I can see how you can get confused as to what gear you are in - the lever itself stays in the same position and you push up or down as it electronically puts it into the gear you want - lever goes back to center. Hate that... but in our cars at least it has the traditional 'manual' select and move the lever in the correct position. That's can't be confusing people? :unsure:

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
957 Posts
Look up Audi Sudden Acceleration. This is how we got the shift interlock system as we know it today. People thought they had their cars in drive, but in reality it was reverse, and they ran other people over killing them. Now you have to have a foot on the brake to shift out of park + the entire gas pedal to brake pedal relationship was re engineered and standards created for all auto manufacturers who sell in the US to follow!
Most of the people who participate in car forums are car enthusiasts of one form or another. Most of us like to drive cars -- at least I do. But the vast majority of people don't like to drive and do so because they have to. If they drove a throttle modified car, it might well get them in trouble because the accelerator is then less controllable. I doubt whether these throttle boosters will increase any 0-60 times because of the techniques we use to get those times in the first place. Some drive modes do include throttle boosters already. I'm wondering whether the ECU can be programmed to do the same thing?

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX AWD
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Most of the people who participate in car forums are car enthusiasts of one form or another. Most of us like to drive cars...
You bring up a good point right here. We are talking about this on an 'enthusiast' web forum... so I would like to think folks here know how to put their car into driver versus reverse. Heck, I would never put a throttle booster on my wife's car.
I do think too that a 0-60 time can be slightly improved with this mod... your car will definitely get up and go a touch faster... nothing drastic, but perhaps a tenth or two. And the added bonus, it will feel quicker. ;)

·
Registered
877 Posts
Interesting product but unless my Sportage is wildly different than others, totally not needed. The throttle is so sensitive on mine that its nearly impossible to pull off without 'pouncing'. Engine response to the throttle always has been instant and it doesn't even have noticeable turbo lag.
Now, where I could use it is on my 2007 F-150 which has dreadful lag on the throttle. This situation is well-known on the V6 manual trans trucks and there is no 'malfunction' except in the ECU's programming. Its so bad I can 'blip' the throttle sitting in neutral and nothing happens - it takes a second or so for it to open. However, it has full power and actually runs stronger now than when it was new, but that throttle drives me bananas. Sometimes you need to blip the gas between gears, like when downshifting, and it just makes it a nightmare trying to guess when the R's are going to come up.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
957 Posts
Interesting product but unless my Sportage is wildly different than others, totally not needed. The throttle is so sensitive on mine that its nearly impossible to pull off without 'pouncing'. Engine response to the throttle always has been instant and it doesn't even have noticeable turbo lag.
Now, where I could use it is on my 2007 F-150 which has dreadful lag on the throttle. This situation is well-known on the V6 manual trans trucks and there is no 'malfunction' except in the ECU's programming. Its so bad I can 'blip' the throttle sitting in neutral and nothing happens - it takes a second or so for it to open. However, it has full power and actually runs stronger now than when it was new, but that throttle drives me bananas. Sometimes you need to blip the gas between gears, like when downshifting, and it just makes it a nightmare trying to guess when the R's are going to come up.
I would tend to agree with you. It's not needed on my EX either. I have a really powerful foot that pushes that accelerator so hard and so fast it probably does far better than this device could ever do. Now if I had a light, dainty foot it would be a different issue.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX AWD
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a really powerful foot that pushes that accelerator so hard and so fast it probably does far better than this device could ever do. Now if I had a light, dainty foot it would be a different issue.
I never heard anyone say their foot is powerful before. How much can it bench? :p ... kidding aside, I would tend to think someone who stomps on the gas harder and faster would benefit more from this product. If you're pushing fast you would tend to notice the lag more than someone with, as you put it, a light and dainty foot... a slow dainty foot wouldn't pick up on the lag.
Like my wifes car for instance, I sometimes stomp on the gas to pull out into traffic and I swear her car just doesn't move right away half the time.. I feel like it's dangerous. Her car could totally benefit from this booster. Although she doesn't seem to think it's a problem. Probably because she has a light and dainty foot. ;)

·
Registered
2018 Sportage EX
181 Posts
My wife has a 2018 A5 Sportback... and yes, I hate her shift lever. With her set-up I can see how you can get confused as to what gear you are in - the lever itself stays in the same position and you push up or down as it electronically puts it into the gear you want - lever goes back to center. Hate that... but in our cars at least it has the traditional 'manual' select and move the lever in the correct position. That's can't be confusing people? :unsure:
Isnt that what killed Anton Yelchin (Checkov from the newer Star Trek movies)? His Jeep Cherokee had a stupid shifter design like that, he got crushed to death between his car and his driveway gate. People were not actually shifting into park properly because if it.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,392 Posts
I was considering one of these devices, for for a different reason, on my wife's Mustang because it was difficult to pull away from a standstill without surging forward - it was just too sensitive at that position.

Instead I found an instruction to do a throttle re-learn and its good now.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I was considering one of these devices, for for a different reason, on my wife's Mustang because it was difficult to pull away from a standstill without surging forward - it was just too sensitive at that position.

Instead I found an instruction to do a throttle re-learn and its good now.
Just like what I referred to about Avengers. Matches the pedal mounted potentiometer to the cars computer programing that then sends signal out to the Electric throttle body. Folk on the Avenger Forum swear by the BIG improvement, and it only takes a minute to do with no tools/scanners needed.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX AWD
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Isnt that what killed Anton Yelchin (Checkov from the newer Star Trek movies)? His Jeep Cherokee had a stupid shifter design like that, he got crushed to death between his car and his driveway gate. People were not actually shifting into park properly because if it.
I think you're right. I personally hate all this digital stuff in cars. I feel like it actually cheapens them. Even the all digital instrument clusters (speedo and tach.). Too many things to break and go wrong. Lets face it, most of those european cars suffer the most in the electrical department - so how long before it breaks.. todays cars are becoming appliances.. throwaway items. Give me as much analog as possible, and I'll have a car I can keep forever! I love my '89 Volvo 240.. that's my forever car. ;)

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I'll swap around your '89 to my 98 for my Avenger...same feeling, even has a traditional DISTRIBUTOR instead of "coil packs"!! Still too bad the wife wanted a 4 dr and we ended up replacing it with a highly digital/computerized Pontiac G6 sedan!:(:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
957 Posts
I never heard anyone say their foot is powerful before. How much can it bench? :p ... kidding aside, I would tend to think someone who stomps on the gas harder and faster would benefit more from this product. If you're pushing fast you would tend to notice the lag more than someone with, as you put it, a light and dainty foot... a slow dainty foot wouldn't pick up on the lag.
Like my wifes car for instance, I sometimes stomp on the gas to pull out into traffic and I swear her car just doesn't move right away half the time.. I feel like it's dangerous. Her car could totally benefit from this booster. Although she doesn't seem to think it's a problem. Probably because she has a light and dainty foot. ;)
I really doubt that it would make much of a difference in my case as I don't race around much in the Sportage -- I have a sports car for that. I don't need speed for trips to the grocery and Costco. We take the Sportage on trips and always run in Sport mode and that works just fine. I can see it downshifting a tad faster and that might be fun, but I really doubt it would increase any 0-60 times unless you were a lousy driver in the first place.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,392 Posts
Just a reminder - if you see a post that is obnoxious, personal attack, or any other contravention of rules, hit the report button, and do not respond making yourself guilty of abuse, and perpetuating it.

My mistake for leaving it in the thread - back to the thread topic.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts