Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Sorento V6 AWD LX (certified preowned KIA)
34 Posts
I got the "threeforone" protection, but only the tire/wheel protection, when getting a certified Kia. $400 for 5yrs of tire/wheel protection against road hazards. Is it worth it? It's valid for all Kia dealers and "authorized repairing facilities".

AND.... I have a flat tire FIRST DAY since picking up... It ends up being a nail near the edge, close to the wall. Kia dealer here said they don't patch tires, and they plugged my flat tire, citing that the insurance would agree to pay for replacement only if the punc is right ON the wall or if the plug fails.

Is this all normal?

Is it OK that a KIA dealer would only plug but not patch a tire when repairing it ?

They told me I shouldn't be concerned even for highway rides ...

The service consultant told me the plug was put near the "edge" of the wheel. He told me if it's on the wall, they would have replaced the wheel and the insurance would cover it for sure. Feels like they did the plug just because it was a safer thing to save any issues with the tire/wheel underwriter later ...

My understanding is that plug + patch from inside is recommended if highway driving is expected. Is that correct?

Thanks.

I have the "threeForOne protection -- tire and wheel only" with a certified Kia Sorento AWD.

One FRONTAL tire went low and it turns out to be a nail on the shoulder (if I get this right).

Please see below the plug the dealer put in.

The dealer told me that the tire protection plan requires a repair instead of a replacement in this situation. The dealer also told me that they do not do patch and only do plug (as shown).

My question is:
1) Is it OK for the tire protection plan to demand that a should nail be repaired instead of tire replaced?
2) Is it OK that the dealer only plugs it instead of patches it? The plug is like $10 part and labor, I guess ?

Thanks.

References against this repair:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=77
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2722853

Only a few states ban the repair on shoulder, or what you provided is considered "industry standard" in all states (incl MA) ?

Thanks a lot.

The service consultant told me the plug was put near the "edge" of the wheel. He told me if it's on the wall, they would have replaced the wheel and the insurance would cover it for sure. Feels like they did the plug just because it was a safer thing to save any issues with the tire/wheel underwriter later ...

My understanding is that plug + patch from inside is recommended if highway driving is expected. Is that correct?

Thanks.

I have the "threeForOne protection -- tire and wheel only" with a certified Kia Sorento AWD.

One FRONTAL tire went low and it turns out to be a nail on the shoulder (if I get this right).

Please see below the plug the dealer put in.

The dealer told me that the tire protection plan requires a repair instead of a replacement in this situation. The dealer also told me that they do not do patch and only do plug (as shown).

My question is:
1) Is it OK for the tire protection plan to demand that a should nail be repaired instead of tire replaced?
2) Is it OK that the dealer only plugs it instead of patches it? The plug is like $10 part and labor, I guess ?

Thanks.

References against this repair:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=77
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2722853

Only a few states ban the repair on shoulder, or what you provided is considered "industry standard" in all states (incl MA) ?

Thanks a lot.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Firstly, I find road hazard insurance to be a waste of money unless you're one of those folks who consistently curb-surfs.

Secondly, there's nothing at all wrong with tire plugs. The only caveat is that you don't want them at or very near the sidewall since the constant flexing can lead to leakage. At the ancestral family business, I probably did 500-ish plugs over the course of about 20 years. I never had a single come-back with a leaky plug. Not one.

The key is to use the sticky self-vulcanizing plugs...not the cheap Walmart stuff that requires you to apply glue/sealant to the plug. This is the good stuff:

Patches are nice, but unless you've got an expensive tire, it's often not worth the hassle when you consider you've got to umount/mount and then re-balance the tire afterwards. If you've gotta do that anyway, you might as well just put a new tire on the rim instead.

Best,

·
Registered
34 Posts

Thanks.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
According to the Rubber Manufacturers Association, that was an improper and possibly unsafe repair. That tire should have been replaced. Part of the problem is that the plug is in the area of the edge of the belts in the tire.*
RMA: Tire Repair
http://www.rma.org/tire_safety/tire_maintenance_and_safety/tire_repair/prp_wallchart1111.pdf

I'd return to the dealership and demand a new tire under the service contract you purchased. Show them this print out. http://www.rma.org/tire_safety/tire_maintenance_and_safety/tire_repair/puncture_repair_handout.pdf If they do not comply, demand a refund of your $400 and file a complaint about an unsafe repair with the state auto repair regulatory agency in your state. And, fill out more info in your profile on this forum...we might be able to offer you more info.

By the way, Kia does not sell the prepaid service contract you mentioned. "Kia" is Kia Motors America of Irvine, Ca. Your local stealership is not "Kia." Except in a very few cases, such prepaid service contracts (they are not warranties regardless of what the salesman called them) are poor deals for the customer. They are great deals for the commission salesman, the dealership, and the underwriter of the contract.

*Typical tire internal construction

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In MA, I'm not sure there is laws/rules regarding this fix. I heard it's not "legal" to plug like that in NY though. I've sent an email to the dealership to request that they either replace it, or confirm whether the repair is safe at least.

It seems like people do have different opinion regarding plugging such a shoulder puncture. What is the nature of this RMA document ?

Thanks again, both!

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
"The Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA) is the national trade association for tire manufacturers that make tires in the U.S."
RMA: About RMA
RMA: Tire Repair

If the national trade association for the tire manufacturers in the U.S. says that a repair in the shoulder of the tire is not safe, that is good enough for me. Demand a replacement tire, because there is no repair in the shoulder that is recognized as safe by the industry. "Opinions" don't count. Industry safe standards count. If you're refused the replacement tire, I'd see how to file a complaint with the state. Mass law: A repair shop must fix any repairs it has made on your car that were not repaired in accordance with trade standards. 940 CMR 5.05 (8)
Massachusetts Consumer Guide: Mechanics of Auto Repair

I'd demand a full refund of the $400, then buy a set of new tires that are superior to the Kumho Solus KL21...better tires are easy to find.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surv...ameter=18&showwp=N&showdp=N&showws=N&showcm=N

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I asked the dealership to check with the tire/wheel service plan and let me know whether they can replace the wheel, (attaching photo of the shoulder plug). Will see how things go.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The service plan authorized a tire replacement, I'm told. Not too bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts