Kia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Bose Sound:
The best sound I get is playing flac music files from a USB drive. I have an extensive collection of music stored on my computer so it was easy to drag and drop albums to a USB drive. A bonus is that the head unit makes the music easy to navigate and shows the album cover, etc for each song playing.

Next best sound I've found is Amazon Music HD. The frustration there is that sometimes music drops. Maybe it's based on a weak signal in some areas.

Sirius is mostly too compressed. There's a couple of hip hop stations with good sound but too many stations sound flat, missing highs and lows.
Good to hear about your success with the USB drive option. I’ll have to dig up my flac collection and give it a try Does the head unit have any storage to hold digital music? (The UVO head unit on my 2013 Optima did that, and it was pretty handy, but I wasn’t able to find that on the Sorento). My concern is the sole USB port would be occupied for the USB drive, so I would be able to use Apple CarPlay which currently needs a wired connection to the USB port the X-line. I really hope there is a firmware update that allows CarPlay over Bluetooth that the LX and S models support

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige - X-Line (a mouth full)
69 Posts
I don't think the head unit has accessible storage. What are you using CarPlay for that you will miss it while listening to music? I thought I'd miss using Waze but the Uvo navigation is very good so I do without, or run it from my phone separately.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I don't think the head unit has accessible storage. What are you using CarPlay for that you will miss it while listening to music? I thought I'd miss using Waze but the Uvo navigation is very good so I do without, or run it from my phone separately.
I’d miss Waze on CarPlay, mostly. It’s just better for routing and re-routing and adding stops on the fly compared to the stock NAV in my limited experience. Perhaps your approach will encourage me to learn how to use the stock NAV more thoroughly. Might be helpful if I find myself in a position where I can’t use the phone for NAV.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige - X-Line (a mouth full)
69 Posts
I’d miss Waze on CarPlay, mostly. It’s just better for routing and re-routing and adding stops on the fly compared to the stock NAV in my limited experience. Perhaps your approach will encourage me to learn how to use the stock NAV more thoroughly. ...
The graphics are better with Uvo and the routes are sometimes different, but as good, as Waze. Both take into account current conditions. The main thing missing from Uvo, IMO, is the police sightings but I have hardwired a radar detector that handles police well. If I am driving far, and/or may want to add stops, then Waze is easier. In that case I'll either listen to Sirius instead of USB so Waze is on the head unit, or I'll run Waze on my phone so I can listen to anything. In that case I'll still use Uvo navigation. When making stops you can "pause navigation" on Uvo so it stops directing you while you are off route.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I’d miss Waze on CarPlay, mostly. It’s just better for routing and re-routing and adding stops on the fly compared to the stock NAV in my limited experience.
Not gonna lie - getting heads up as to where the PoPo are hanging out is pretty useful too 😈

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX X-Line in Sparking Silver and 2019 Hyundai Tucson Sport in White
47 Posts
Has anyone installed running boards on their X-Line yet? I want to buy a pair, probably for around $200 on ebay but I'd like to see some pictures. I can't find any online, just the stock images but no real photos. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Has anyone installed running boards on their X-Line yet? I want to buy a pair, probably for around $200 on ebay but I'd like to see some pictures. I can't find any online, just the stock images but no real photos. Thanks in advance!
I’ve been missing those, mainly to help with loading stuff on the roof rack. Didn’t realize those could be added after the fact. Are there points on the underbody or frame where they could be attached?

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorrento SX White with grey interior
10 Posts
Hollywood bike rack works and the back door will come up when the rack is in storage mode and there are no bikes on it. It also tilts forward with bikes on the rack.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Question on rooftop cargo carriers - Anyone aware of what the total height of the X-line is with a standard carrier? I’m worried about whether with a carrier mounted I’ll be able to get it into a parking garage attached to a house, or a multi-car garage (some of them have height restrictions, like < 7 ft). Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX X-Line in Sparking Silver and 2019 Hyundai Tucson Sport in White
47 Posts
So these running boards are $280. I keep seeing the same ones for over $500 from kia websites. I'm thinking of purchasing them. What do you guys think? These look better than the other styles I've seen and are pretty close to the factory ones I've seen in a few videos.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
So these running boards are $280. I keep seeing the same ones for over $500 from kia websites. I'm thinking of purchasing them. What do you guys think? These look better than the other styles I've seen and are pretty close to the factory ones I've seen in a few videos. View attachment 118312
Seems like a legit brand and looks like it’d go well with the lighter-colored exteriors. Not clear to me how it attaches and how much weight it can bear, but I’d imagine that’s a non-issue. Please report back on how it goes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Seems like a legit brand and looks like it’d go well with the lighter-colored exteriors. Not clear to me how it attaches and how much weight it can bear, but I’d imagine that’s a non-issue. Please report back on how it goes.
I ordered them and they should arrive by the 19th. I also order mud guards and they should arrive next month. I messaged the seller and they sent me instructions on how to install the running boards but they aren't very clear. Broken English and misspelled words but you can mostly understand it. It's a 30 day money back guarantee so when I get them I will post pictures. Hopefully they look nice and since my car is silver, it should go well together. Installing it will definitely be a pain in the ass. This car is too new and not many people seem to be adding accessories to it so I can't find a single video on anything for this car lol

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I ordered them and they should arrive by the 19th. I also order mud guards and they should arrive next month. I messaged the seller and they sent me instructions on how to install the running boards but they aren't very clear. Broken English and misspelled words but you can mostly understand it. It's a 30 day money back guarantee so when I get them I will post pictures. Hopefully they look nice and since my car is silver, it should go well together. Installing it will definitely be a pain in the ass. This car is too new and not many people seem to be adding accessories to it so I can't find a single video on anything for this car lol
Nice, look forward to your update on how it goes. Pretty sure they would look nice on silver. Wish they made one with matte black/gray to match the X-Line styling. And good point about the mud guards, I saw that my wheel wells were liked with a felt like material that seemed like a pain to clean mud off of.

My daughter would appreciate those running boards to get in an out. Not sure why they don’t come standard with what is supposedly a family SUV.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Nice, look forward to your update on how it goes. Pretty sure they would look nice on silver. Wish they made one with matte black/gray to match the X-Line styling. And good point about the mud guards, I saw that my wheel wells were lined with a felt like material that seemed like a pain to clean mud off of.

My daughter would appreciate those running boards to get in an out. Not sure why they don’t come standard with what is supposedly a family SUV.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nice, look forward to your update on how it goes. Pretty sure they would look nice on silver. Wish they made one with matte black/gray to match the X-Line styling. And good point about the mud guards, I saw that my wheel wells were liked with a felt like material that seemed like a pain to clean mud off of.

I was hoping they would come with the car but it is what it is. Getting them from Kia would cost almost $600. I paid $298. I will post pictures when I get them, let's hope they are good quality. I might not install them yet and I simply do not have the time for that task yet. I will also post pics of the mud guards when I get them and what they look like when installed. That seems like an easy 10 to 15 minute installation.

·
Registered
2021 KIA Sorento SX Prestige X-Line
2 Posts
We've had our X-line for about 4 months now and I have to say we absolutely love it. Living in the northeast, winters can be not so much fun to drive in, but it was with this. We had a 2018 SX lease end and I wasn't sure we would go with another Sorento. I liked the 2018 but didn't love it. My wife wanted to at least take a look at the 2021. I had no idea it was redesigned at the time. Plain and simple, it's just a blast to drive! It handles great for what it is and I definitely prefer the 4 cylinder turbo over the V6. I like the Sorento more than the Telluride for a few reasons but the motor sealed the deal for me. It's a sporty mid size SUV that is also a great family vehicle.

As much as we love it, there are a couple of annoyances. The first being no memory seats, why? Our 2018 had it and it would also retain the side mirror settings as well. My wife and I both drive the 2021 and it's a small thing until you use it all the time and then don't have it. It's a pain in the butt to adjust every time you change drivers. We've tried to find a neutral spot for the seat and mirrors. First world problems of course! The other missing feature we use to have with the 2018 were the auto wipers, they disappeared. It was a great feature and another one where you would only miss it after having it. No 120V outlet is another, again a feature that was removed. Not a huge deal but we used it more than we thought we would, why remove it?

We did have a problem with the rear transfer case leaking oil after 3k miles. Come to find out the oil plug wasn't in all the way and somehow was cross threaded at the factory causing the leak. They are replacing it and although not something I wanted to deal with, the dealership was really great at handling the situation.

All in all, this has been a great vehicle for us thus far and I would highly recommend it to anyone in the market.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
We've had our X-line for about 4 months now and I have to say we absolutely love it. Living in the northeast, winters can be not so much fun to drive in, but it was with this. We had a 2018 SX lease end and I wasn't sure we would go with another Sorento. I liked the 2018 but didn't love it. My wife wanted to at least take a look at the 2021. I had no idea it was redesigned at the time. Plain and simple, it's just a blast to drive! It handles great for what it is and I definitely prefer the 4 cylinder turbo over the V6. I like the Sorento more than the Telluride for a few reasons but the motor sealed the deal for me. It's a sporty mid size SUV that is also a great family vehicle.

As much as we love it, there are a couple of annoyances. The first being no memory seats, why? Our 2018 had it and it would also retain the side mirror settings as well. My wife and I both drive the 2021 and it's a small thing until you use it all the time and then don't have it. It's a pain in the butt to adjust every time you change drivers. We've tried to find a neutral spot for the seat and mirrors. First world problems of course! The other missing feature we use to have with the 2018 were the auto wipers, they disappeared. It was a great feature and another one where you would only miss it after having it. No 120V outlet is another, again a feature that was removed. Not a huge deal but we used it more than we thought we would, why remove it?

We did have a problem with the rear transfer case leaking oil after 3k miles. Come to find out the oil plug wasn't in all the way and somehow was cross threaded at the factory causing the leak. They are replacing it and although not something I wanted to deal with, the dealership was really great at handling the situation.

All in all, this has been a great vehicle for us thus far and I would highly recommend it to anyone in the market.
Thank you for sharing your experience vis-à-vis the older model and the Telluride. I had some lingering doubts on whether I should have saved a bit by getting the older model or stepped up to Telluride - I’m happy to hear you say what I hoped I’d hear, aside from the dropped features and the oil leak - bummer about the latter, although good to know your dealer took care of it. I’m definitely happy with agility and nimble handling of the X-line, and although I don’t need AWD most of the time, I do plan on driving it around the country and off-road, so it’s good to know I have it in case I need it.

Personally, the lack of memory seats and the auto wipers are a non-issue for me. However, my pet peeves are the inability to CarPlay over Bluetooth (hopefully will be fixed via firmware upgrade), lack of onboard storage for music, the omission of running boards as standard, etc. Still, very solid for a first iteration.

·
Registered
2021 KIA Sorento SX XLINE Glacial White Pearl
56 Posts
Thank you for sharing your experience vis-à-vis the older model and the Telluride. I had some lingering doubts on whether I should have saved a bit by getting the older model or stepped up to Telluride - I’m happy to hear you say what I hoped I’d hear, aside from the dropped features and the oil leak - bummer about the latter, although good to know your dealer took care of it. I’m definitely happy with agility and nimble handling of the X-line, and although I don’t need AWD most of the time, I do plan on driving it around the country and off-road, so it’s good to know I have it in case I need it.

Personally, the lack of memory seats and the auto wipers are a non-issue for me. However, my pet peeves are the inability to CarPlay over Bluetooth (hopefully will be fixed via firmware upgrade), lack of onboard storage for music, the omission of running boards as standard, etc. Still, very solid for a first iteration.
I agree with the wireless carplay would be a plus. I drove a rental K5 with it and most of the time it did work lol. My next thing is paint protection on Wednesday after calling around all week. I got a price quote for $750 in San Antonio for a partial. Man ah they proud of their prices and some wanted up to $1900 🙄

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX X-Line
28 Posts
lack of onboard storage for music
This USB thumbdrive works great for me in that regard, though it means giving up the center USB port that you're probably using for phone mirroring*:

It's insanely tiny, and easily holds the 8000 tracks that I believe is the system's limit.

*I tried Android Auto for a bit when I got the Sorento, but didn't love the low resolution or lack of a fullscreen option. I use the RAM mount from my old car and just connect via BT instead.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts