1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
Not my taste either but it's your car & you can do what you like with it:D

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
I like it... a lot. I think it adds a nice agressive (but not crazy agressive) touch to the Rio5. I plan to purchase one shortly and then add some dry carbon wrap (Di-noc) to it in certain areas.

$200 isn't too much, especially since it's painted to match. And... it's actually on sale right now too - $161 on eBay seems more than worth it to me. It even installs easier than most spoilers I've encountered :)

·
Registered
2012 Hyundai Sonata, 2013 Rio EX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like it... a lot. I think it adds a nice agressive (but not crazy agressive) touch to the Rio5. I plan to purchase one shortly and then add some dry carbon wrap (Di-noc) to it in certain areas.

$200 isn't too much, especially since it's painted to match. And... it's actually on sale right now too - $161 on eBay seems more than worth it to me. It even installs easier than most spoilers I've encountered :)
wow, only $161!!! :eek:

I think I'm gonna get this, only part that's iffy is the 3M tape, but I'm sure it will hold.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I wouldn't even worry about the 3M not holding. My 2010 CRV had a spoiler that I attached with only one tiny screw and two small tabs of 3M on either side. I was sure it was gonna rip off, but it lasted fine for 2.5 years (until I traded it in on the Rio).

The trick is to prep the surface really well. There's so much 3M on this Rio spoiler (and a couple hooks too)... as long as the paint is clean - you're golden.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
The spoiler is cheap. Especially for a new car. I brought one. Should have it by end of month

I personally hate Di-noc. You can skin the part in real CF for not much more difference in price. I have nothing against people that fake it but the ones that try passing it off as real CF when its just a textured vinyl.

If you do fake it though, never get the real thing. Too easy to spot the difference. One interacts with light while the other looks flat.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I personally hate Di-noc. You can skin the part in real CF for not much more difference in price. I have nothing against people that fake it but the ones that try passing it off as real CF when its just a textured vinyl.

If you do fake it though, never get the real thing. Too easy to spot the difference. One interacts with light while the other looks flat.
It's a matter of taste I suppose. I'm not trying to fool anyone into thinking it's real carbon fibre, I just like the look and feel of it - and the way it reflects light. Plus, I can use it to customize other surfaces, even on the interior... and it will match perfectly (unlike various premade carbon products). I love the stuff, but use it sparingly for effect.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
What's with the little blue foam bumpers on the rear doors. Aren't they supposed to come off after delivery? The wing isn't to my liking either. But to each their own. At least it's not one of those huge freaking things you see on celica's and lancers.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
It's a matter of taste I suppose. I'm not trying to fool anyone into thinking it's real carbon fibre, I just like the look and feel of it - and the way it reflects light. Plus, I can use it to customize other surfaces, even on the interior... and it will match perfectly (unlike various premade carbon products). I love the stuff, but use it sparingly for effect.
Its good for small pieces or sparingly as you would use it. Its best used in the interior. When you see people doing full bonnets out of it and full body parts it looks very strange. I know people that would do their whole house in it if they could...

There is a German or Dutch company that makes a different version of 3M's version. It not as textured as the 3M version but looks more realistic.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Besides personal taste, it also depends on how you want to use your car. For me, I'm gearing it up to be my "storefront" (I own a fully mobile business). So my plans are probably a tad less tame than if I was just doing mods in general.

I do want it to catch attention (and not in a gaudy way either). So I'll be completely wrapping the little Rio - and as I've just finished my Photoshop mock up, I'm nearly good to go now. The spoiler and Di-noc bits and pieces were just for added accenting - certainly no hoods, roofs or anything large.

·
Registered
2013 KIA Soul, 2013 KIA Rio 5 Door
84 Posts
Yeah, not a fan of that wing at all. I like the stock "spoiler" as it is. Now, a nice body kit would do this car justice even more than the factory look but that wing detracts from the clean look methinks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts