1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
The issue with this even with me is,
dealer is over 60 miles away, cost for gas or shipping to get it, puts that 1 filter at over 20 bucks do that math with 4 quarts of quality oil and your talking a 40+ dollar oil change.
Thats crazy, maybe if Kia wants this they need to have more locations, with 2 in vermont (im sure other states and owners have this same issue), and at that them being within 35 miles of each other (does that make any sense, not to me), makes it very hard for lots to even do services, let alone buy this kind of part every month or so at 20 plus dollars. or more, being located where they are I feel sorry for anyone living in south western vt, where there drive would be well over 2 hrs or have it shipped for I bet at least 10 more bucks, WOW, ive done v-8 oil changes for cheaper than that using quality oil and aftermarket filters.

Why is Kia designing the oil system if you cant use aftermarket filters?
I used to own a Jaguar, and god, an aftermarket filter was fine with that expensive vehicle, and not to bag on Kia (I love them) that is a rediculous thing. No wonder I see more and more complaints.
Its not about quality now, its always about corporate, or how they do warranties, or now, you got to use OEM, whats next? Got to use a certain gas? :)

OR wait I see it now,
An owner will have some issue with the oiling system, kias gonna see an aftermarket filter and they they are gonna deny that person warranty because they used an approved filter that EVERY OTHER CAR MAKER would be fine with?
Really? Its probably a matter of bad design and lots of issues, hide it, then knowing most do oil changes not at Kia, most will have non OEM filters, bam, they win, but not being honest.
Its weird that they are not stating this for anything before 2007 I think it said in that PDF.
Well then a dedicated Kia owner will be gone here if it comes to that. If I have an oil issue and they do that to me, I will have my Kia towed to the nearest non kia dealer and trade my Sporty in. I bet I won't be the last one once it comes to this. Thats simply rediculous.

The ONLY OEM filters that I have EVER in my 20 years of driving are the ones that were on it when I bought it new, after that and millions of miles on every car I ever drove was an aftermarket filter, in ALL that time and mileage, I have never not once, had an issue with oil, oil filters, or damage incured by an aftermarket filter.
Sorry for being a little irratated by this but god, this is a first.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
The irratation is rationalized, no need for apologies. I have definitely used my fair share of aftermarket filters, both on the autos and the cycles, no issues. It's just a choice anyway. For me though, when I can get the OEM filter for the same cost as a quality aftermarket filter, I'll go OEM. Why not.

I accordance with the PDF file that cobra supplied, I have also seen my fair share of flickering oil lights and noises caused only by the aftermarket filter. Once the OEM filter was installed, the issues were gone. Maybe I'm biased, but it's OEM for me, for the oil filter anyway (when it comes to brakes, chassis parts, etc.., that's a different story.)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I have never had an issue with WIX filters. WIX is the manufacturer of the OEM filter, anyway. The OEM filter is cheaper, but for me the dealer is 60 miles away. Unless I am at or near the dealer within a few miles of oil change, I typically get the WIX. You can bash me all you want..on my highest-mileage vehicle I go 3 months between changes. I don't record the mileage, just every three months. The Sedona gets the biggest share of the miles, and I figure it was about 8,000 miles (Mobil 1 synthetic) between the last and most recent changes. Filter still looked like brand-new. Like I said, same manufacturer, same gaskets, same everything.

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
Some oil filters don't even have a bypass valve! I replaced an entire engine on a customers' Rondo who only had hand-written oil change receipts, only about a quart of thick black, obviously burnt oil and who had no other records or recollection of any maintenance. This was under warranty as she was within time and mileage. Fair? No. Does it happen all the time? Yes. Because of the Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act, you are not required to purchase factory oil filters. However, there are known issues with substandard filters, so why go that route?
The bottom line is, if you come into a dealer with a problem commonly associated with non-factory filter installed on your car, my first recommendation is to eliminate this known problem. Because Kia can not warranty a filter it didn't sell you, or any parts that may become damaged from prolonged use of this product, why would you continue to do so?
What there really needs to be is regulation on the manufacturing and quality of things like this. It's unfair that a manufacturer has to warranty an engine because of a substandard oil filter that it (the manufacturer) can't tell you not to use. They can tell you that you must use a filter of equal value, but again, there is no standard.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
I would go OEM all day, though like I said, 12.xx for the filter at my dealer + 7.xx to ship, or a 2 hr round trip, (you know thats more than 8 bucks in gas) is crazy. Its just not cost, time, ect, worth it. I drive 3000K every week or 2nd week. Can I go to the dealer 2 hrs away every 1-2 weeks, hell no..... If I ordered it and had it shipped, I would have to buy one, do oil change and turn around and order another one so I know it would be here in that 1-2 weeks I would need it in.

You all do know there are different aftermarket filter makers. I have noticed some are smaller than others, (the ones to stay away from) (fram, super tech, ect) may see an issue. Like above, the wix is the same size, makes Kias, why not there?

Never had an oil light come on due to a filter, maybe you screwed it on to tight and resticted flow, happens too.....

Not that I am bagging on OEM, its just TIME, COST, just to get one. No one said anything about the OEM quality.

They can tell you that you must use a filter of equal value, but again, there is no standard.
They can't tell you how much you have to pay for a filter, so long as it meets specs (which even super tech does LOL) you can use it whether it cost 1 dollar or a 100.

·
Super Moderator
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would go OEM all day, though like I said, 12.xx for the filter at my dealer + 7.xx to ship, or a 2 hr round trip, (you know thats more than 8 bucks in gas) is crazy. Its just not cost, time, ect, worth it. I drive 3000K every week or 2nd week. Can I go to the dealer 2 hrs away every 1-2 weeks, hell no..... If I ordered it and had it shipped, I would have to buy one, do oil change and turn around and order another one so I know it would be here in that 1-2 weeks I would need it in.

You all do know there are different aftermarket filter makers. I have noticed some are smaller than others, (the ones to stay away from) (fram, super tech, ect) may see an issue. Like above, the wix is the same size, makes Kias, why not there?

Never had an oil light come on due to a filter, maybe you screwed it on to tight and resticted flow, happens too.....

Not that I am bagging on OEM, its just TIME, COST, just to get one. No one said anything about the OEM quality.

They can't tell you how much you have to pay for a filter, so long as it meets specs (which even super tech does LOL) you can use it whether it cost 1 dollar or a 100.
I'll sell you Kia filters cheap, $4.95 each. Buy as little or as many as you like. No tax, you are out of state. Shipping will be $5.00, right to your door. That is if you want to use Factory oil filters. Your car, your choice.
I posted that TSB because I think people should know that info! Do you agree?

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Great info cobra, thank you!! I forgot about this bulletin. Hopefully a lot of people read this.

Not to thread jack, but here is a link to a related thread that I posted a while ago. Take a look.

http://www.kia-forums.com/general-kia-non-model-specific-discussion/66793-your-attention-please.html

USE OEM OIL FILTERS!!!!
If I recall right VALVOLINE buys (sources) from FRAM the four letter prince of engine failure. Just as WALMART does and MANY MANY OTHERS. Bad news for all. This is classic for that (the pics). But I will not rant. Enuff said.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
The issue with this even with me is,
dealer is over 60 miles away, cost for gas or shipping to get it, puts that 1 filter at over 20 bucks do that math with 4 quarts of quality oil and your talking a 40+ dollar oil change.
Thats crazy, maybe if Kia wants this they need to have more locations, with 2 in vermont (im sure other states and owners have this same issue), and at that them being within 35 miles of each other (does that make any sense, not to me), makes it very hard for lots to even do services, let alone buy this kind of part every month or so at 20 plus dollars. or more, being located where they are I feel sorry for anyone living in south western vt, where there drive would be well over 2 hrs or have it shipped for I bet at least 10 more bucks, WOW, ive done v-8 oil changes for cheaper than that using quality oil and aftermarket filters.

Why is Kia designing the oil system if you cant use aftermarket filters?
I used to own a Jaguar, and god, an aftermarket filter was fine with that expensive vehicle, and not to bag on Kia (I love them) that is a rediculous thing. No wonder I see more and more complaints.
Its not about quality now, its always about corporate, or how they do warranties, or now, you got to use OEM, whats next? Got to use a certain gas? :)

OR wait I see it now,
An owner will have some issue with the oiling system, kias gonna see an aftermarket filter and they they are gonna deny that person warranty because they used an approved filter that EVERY OTHER CAR MAKER would be fine with?
Really? Its probably a matter of bad design and lots of issues, hide it, then knowing most do oil changes not at Kia, most will have non OEM filters, bam, they win, but not being honest.
Its weird that they are not stating this for anything before 2007 I think it said in that PDF.
Well then a dedicated Kia owner will be gone here if it comes to that. If I have an oil issue and they do that to me, I will have my Kia towed to the nearest non kia dealer and trade my Sporty in. I bet I won't be the last one once it comes to this. Thats simply rediculous.

The ONLY OEM filters that I have EVER in my 20 years of driving are the ones that were on it when I bought it new, after that and millions of miles on every car I ever drove was an aftermarket filter, in ALL that time and mileage, I have never not once, had an issue with oil, oil filters, or damage incured by an aftermarket filter.
Sorry for being a little irratated by this but god, this is a first.
You can use aftermarket if you like. But use a QUALITY ONE. I like WIX when I did. Better to use OEM thou and if as you argue "buying one every month or so" for $20 then you can buy six at $5.95 each shipped to your house for $35.70. And used them "every month or so" right? Not $20 each. :cool:

P.S. Do the math. Thats only $15.70 ($35.70) more for FIVE MORE. Not $40 for two either.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I'll sell you Kia filters cheap, $4.95 each. Buy as little or as many as you like. No tax, you are out of state. Shipping will be $5.00, right to your door. That is if you want to use Factory oil filters. Your car, your choice.
I posted that TSB because I think people should know that info! Do you agree?
Thou I did not buy my last case from you. Your price quote is almost dead on for the $5.95 I did spend for 6 or was it 10 in a case?. Any way 6 at $4.95 plus $5 shipping is $5.78 each. 10 would be $5.45. SO if that is so I would throw my business to you in MI rather then CN for $.20 more. Just out of basic your a member of the forum at the very least. Why buy aftermarket really. Honestly WALMART has three FRAM versions for the 26300-35503 (my dealer here $10.15 with drain gasket). One is cough cough $2.95! one is $6.52 and one is $10.15 last I looked. Are we all that stupid? :lol:

I got two cars that use them too so I go thru them quicker. Case lasts me a two years? And I know my oil is CLEAN! with 3-4 month/3500-4500 filter changes and top ups. And 12+-/12.5K-15K full changes. And yes I use 5w20 SYNTH in both. Have used that sched for YEARS too on many many vechs. For sure on the 1966 MkII 3.8S Jag.
For those that care and and are interested it was NOT a MkII 3.4/3.8 nor a often mistaken for 420. It was a 66 MkII 3.8S which was windshield forward a HO 3.8L S package model and windshield back a longer then 3.8wheelbase 420 model. Much cleaner smoother and sleeker lines even with the factory delete of troublesome wire rims. British Bone White with Oxblood was killer. The big cat was a sleeper. Unless you forgot to hit the switch over switch for the twin 9gal tanks. Then twin DRY SIDEDRAFT SOLEX 45's were a thing to behold. NOT! worst yet were the triple SideDraft Solex 38's on the 420 and 4.2 in the E-type.:lol:

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
You can use aftermarket if you like. But use a QUALITY ONE. I like WIX when I did. Better to use OEM thou and if as you argue "buying one every month or so" for $20 then you can buy six at $5.95 each shipped to your house for $35.70. And used them "every month or so" right? Not $20 each. :cool:

P.S. Do the math. Thats only $15.70 ($35.70) more for FIVE MORE. Not $40 for two either.
That option just became, correct as you can see too right, before MY only option was what I listed.

Its not every month, its every week or 2 lol.

I wish it were per month.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Thou I did not buy my last case from you. Your price quote is almost dead on for the $5.95 I did spend for 6 or was it 10 in a case?. Any way 6 at $4.95 plus $5 shipping is $5.78 each. 10 would be $5.45. SO if that is so I would throw my business to you in MI rather then CN for $.20 more. Just out of basic your a member of the forum at the very least. Why buy aftermarket really. Honestly WALMART has three FRAM versions for the 26300-35503. One is cough cough $2.95! one is $6.52 and one is $10.15. Are we all that stupid? :lol:
I never stated I buy my filters at walmart, the only statement made about walmart was their cheapy super tech I mentioned, who would use that lol.
I usually use napa gold filters. Not saying they are great but I get that at shop price, at just under 2 bucks I cannot go wrong. Used these in all my cars for the last 5+ years, never had any isssue with even noise.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
That option just became, correct as you can see too right, before MY only option was what I listed.

Its not every month, its every week or 2 lol.

I wish it were per month.
Well yes in a way. But I have been buying mine for six years since the 2004 Sorento was bought in 2007. First MD then CN and now I will be with cobra259 in MI. So the option did not just fall out of sky with him. But point taken if for you it did. :)

P.S. All the more reason for you to buy BULK then right? But that is just me and IMHO.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I never stated I buy my filters at walmart, the only statement made about walmart was their cheapy super tech I mentioned, who would use that lol.
I usually use napa gold filters. Not saying they are great but I get that at shop price, at just under 2 bucks I cannot go wrong. Used these in all my cars for the last 5+ years, never had any isssue with even noise.
I am sorry me bad, I never said you did. I was merely sighting what other looney tunes have said in past about WALMART having excelent aftermarket QUAILTY FRAM filters. As you see that is HORSE CRAP and I can prove six way from sunday and did. :) as the only filter cheaper then OEM is the very funny and questionable $2.95 2X (aka a Scott Tissue) one. Not the $6 4X (aka a Kotex) nor $10 6X (aka maybe close to OEM spec) one as they call them these days. FRAM marketing is great do you not think?

NAPA GOLD is WIX. But a $2 NAPA GOLD? hummmm sounds fishy to me too. they are giving you a hell of a deal then if so. NAPA here quoted me the one time I was there $9.56 for the NG1334 or 1334NG (wix is 51334) cross for the 26300-35503 I use since 2007. and with the dealer again $10.15 with gasket you do the math and such for buying OEM still. :huh:

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Changing your oil every two weeks? Yuck. If I were you, I'd switch to synthetic and extend that range to 5 weeks. How do you even find time to change it???

·
Registered
479 Posts
WIX is the manufacturer of the OEM filter.
Unless this is a recent development, Kia/Hyundai OEM filters have always been manufactured by a Korean subsidiary of MANN+HUMMEL. There was a period of time when some U.S. manufactured cars came from the factory with a Mahle made filter (stamped made in Austria), but dealer replacement OEM filters have always been from Korea. The one time I used a Wix filter I was not impressed. Very uneven pleating, globs of excess glue around the end plates. It did it's job but was more expensive than what I was paying for OEM at the local dealership and far more than I now pay mail order. Also, the Wix kit doesn't come with the crush washer that is provided in the -3C100 kit.

I really don't care what other use for filters. I just see no reason not to use the OEM filter kits in these cars.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
I am sorry me bad, I never said you did. I was merely sighting what other looney tunes have said in past about WALMART having excelent aftermarket QUAILTY FRAM filters. As you see that is HORSE CRAP and I can prove six way from sunday and did. :) as the only filter cheaper then OEM is the very funny and questionable $2.95 2X (aka a Scott Tissue) one. Not the $6 4X (aka a Kotex) nor $10 6X (aka maybe close to OEM spec) one as they call them these days. FRAM marketing is great do you not think?

NAPA GOLD is WIX. But a $2 NAPA GOLD? hummmm sounds fishy to me too. they are giving you a hell of a deal then if so. NAPA here quoted me the one time I was there $9.56 for the NG1334 or 1334NG (wix is 51334) cross for the 26300-35503 I use since 2007. and with the dealer again $10.15 with gasket you do the math and such for buying OEM still. :huh:
List price is 5.19 Part Number: FIL 1334
Product Line: NAPA Gold Filters
On their website.......

Checked receipt, I am way off, its right under 4 a piece.

Nothin fishy, napa gold box, napa gold stamped on filter, what more, I know the napa I am hitting is not stamping them themselves :) with something else. Maybe it also helps with friends discount that works their, friends shop I use his discount (good friend) and buying bulk? I guess this is a matter of where you are since your oem's are cheaper than mine, vise versa on the napa gold.

Hell if you knew someone at walmart with their discount you could probably pick up that 2.xx fram for under 1 dollar :).

Ill take a pic of the new filter I install this weekend or next.

And if like mentioned somewhere in this post, Wix makes Kia OEM filters AND NAPA gold filters, can't be a big difference.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Changing your oil every two weeks? Yuck. If I were you, I'd switch to synthetic and extend that range to 5 weeks. How do you even find time to change it???
It only takes 15 minutes of your weekend. Get up, shoot outside, done before 7am :)

Just about 200 miles a day for me, 35 for the wife, x5, sometimes 6 if I go to the parents on day on the weekend.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Unless this is a recent development, Kia/Hyundai OEM filters have always been manufactured by a Korean subsidiary of MANN+HUMMEL. There was a period of time when some U.S. manufactured cars came from the factory with a Mahle made filter (stamped made in Austria), but dealer replacement OEM filters have always been from Korea. The one time I used a Wix filter I was not impressed. Very uneven pleating, globs of excess glue around the end plates. It did it's job but was more expensive than what I was paying for OEM at the local dealership and far more than I now pay mail order. Also, the Wix kit doesn't come with the crush washer that is provided in the -3C100 kit.

I really don't care what other use for filters. I just see no reason not to use the OEM filter kits in these cars.
I dont see why not, if it DOES, meet ALL the requirments that are needed, which they do or they COULD and WOULD void warranty for use, Its like using the wrong tranny fluid then it goes. They ask for receipt, shows wrong fluid, VOIDED. Why is this any different than that? If this dont meet this spec, or this dont meet their spec, how is their a difference, if it is totally true. Not that there are not junk filters, their are, but their are also good ones,
MY point here.

So a K&N would not be as good as OEM either. I see here, there is nothing that can compair to OEM.
I disagree. They do not have some magical filter, it would have its own patent, which it does not. Its not that different from good ones, than this is stating.
Put the junk ones aside.
You also say the "craftsmanship" of the Korean ones are way better. Come on, look at all the stuff that comes out of the far east, really. If thats were your saying they come from.
Theres a lot of crap that comes from that region, because its CHEAP.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
About this Discussion
63 Replies
19 Participants
ramblerdan
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing