Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Ceed, MGTF, Various Jeeps new and old, FIAT 500
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some people may remember a post from John Franklyn a few weeks ago resigning from this forum because he was fed up with the negative and at times offensive comments made by a few members to any post he made.

I am now of the same opinion. I can see little reason to remain involved in this on-line community if
certain members wish to attempt to shout down any opinion they don't agree with, not by presenting a constructive well researched intellectual argument but by negativity, crude insults and sheer bloody rudeness. In the last 24 hours my opinion on an area I am qualified in and have over 30 years experience has been met with the following well reasoned and intellectual responses of:

I cannot be arsed to read the post...

...you are either naive or mad

Never read such a load of nonsense.

.. people who read this forum may actually believe what spencernj has written

That's a first... Legal advice from France! :lol:

This is not the first time this has happened to me and it is not just me that faces this rude and insulting behaviour, the same recently happened to a highly qualified mechanical engineer who happened to dare to offer an opinion on mechanical matters. Not surprisingly this user has since stopped posting. Do people not wonder why this forum is so quiet given the number of Ceeds sold. The EU Jeep Patriot forum for which a fraction of vehicles have been sold is far more active and friendly.

On the UK Jeep Forums experts on all relevant subject are welcome and most forums would welcome qualified engineers, car salesman, lawyers, accountants or what ever who could help members from their experience with their car related issues and have active debates without rapidly resorting to insults. It appears on this forum that experience and qualifications are actually considered negatively.

Do people actually want this forum to flourish? If so then the tone of responses needs to improve and the intemperate language needs to stop rapidly. If not I feel no longer bothered contributing to this so called "community".:mad:

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,507 Posts
I'll say this.........report the post/user. Us mods can not read every post to see what is going on!

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
We say NO MORE attacks and WE MEAN IT!
Dave

·
Registered
Cee'd VR-7
391 Posts
Apparently I've been a naughty boy. Sorry if I've offended anyone by my honest (free speech) remarks.
OK Moderators?

·
Super Moderator
6,928 Posts
If your remarks were "honest" then you are not really concerned about offending others.
So as far as we're concerned other actions may/will take place.

This forum is here to HELP others and for the benefit of KIA owners. We need to review past posts as I remember this isn't the first time this has happened. I do not like taking actions and prefer not to but I have taken them in the past and will in the future.
Dave
Kia-Fourums Moderator

·
Registered
Cee'd VR-7
391 Posts
If your remarks were "honest" then you are not really concerned about offending others.
So as far as we're concerned other actions may/will take place.

This forum is here to HELP others and for the benefit of KIA owners. We need to review past posts as I remember this isn't the first time this has happened. I do not like taking actions and prefer not to but I have taken them in the past and will in the future.
Dave
Kia-Fourums Moderator
Don't bother I'm off anyway. Just wanted to say "bye" to my helpful friends.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Don't bother I'm off anyway. Just wanted to say "bye" to my helpful friends.
O dear, this is getting rediculous. I have been disagreed with many times in the past and will probably be disagreed with in the future, cannot be right all the time. Do I start a thread saying the forum is pointless, of course not, I move on.

Sorry to see you go.

·
Registered
RIP :( 2010 Pro_Cee'd - Infra Red 2
863 Posts
Wowsers!
I admit the whole Disbeliever thing went ballistic, but otherwise thought we were generally ok!
Spencer, I'm really sad to hear you're getting such negative responses mate, I think you've always been pretty straight down the line, useful and informative, really can't understand why some members are giving you grief.

As suggested above, please report any post you feel is out of order, as without that knowledge the mod's will never be able to check all threads.

Really hope we can sort out the issues with this place, as it was always a happy, friendly and useful place to hang out.

Admittedly even I've noticed it becoming quieter lately, I'm still visiting daily even though I lost my lovely cee'd about 6 weeks ago. Thinking about it, there's not been many new posts or threads most days :(

Here's hoping we can get back to the friendly vibe of a few months ago.

Maybe we're all suffering S.A.D. or it's internet equivalent :)

·
Registered
09 Pro-Ceed 1.4 ZR7
346 Posts
Forums always ebb and flow and you will get periods of high and low activity. There will always be disagreements and the odd dramatic flounce where someone loses their sense of humour and has an online hissy fit!

Its the Internet, its not real life, get over it!

Moderation can be over the top on some forums and in my opinion this being a US based forum it is maybe a little over moderated and sometimes a bit heavy handed but.... Its their forum so i either play by the rules or i dont play at all!

Im on a couple of UK based bike forums and there are things said on there that would get you an instan ban on here! Just different forums, different Mods and rules of play.

So.... come on guys, just remember, its not real life, its just the internet! Lifes too short to get hot under the collar about what a faceless username may have said on a forum. If you dont like what someone has said then just ignore it, remember it takes 2 to argue.

And if you dont like this post im going to get all angry and say nasty things to you all from behind the safety of my keyboard like the internet warrior i am! ;-)

·
Super Moderator
6,928 Posts
Wow...
I agree with dubster..

"Here's hoping we can get back to the friendly vibe of a few months ago.
Maybe we're all suffering S.A.D. or it's internet equivalent"

I originally jumped in because Spencernj and the country he is currently living in was being attacked with an off color (colour) comment and because of his comment (this thread) "this forum-rapidly-becoming-pointless".

RTFishall WAS of base with his negative comment and I suggested he remove it and apologise for the remark. He then made a post with "Sorry if I've offended anyone by my honest (free speech) remarks." that really meant he didn't apologise.
It would have "if" he had left out "honest (free speech)"..

I'm for free speech as long as it's not attacking or making fun at others at their expense. If you are wrong...your wrong... and let it go.

When I agreed to be a "moderator" I took on the unwelcome task of being one of the "bad guys" that go after posters... I have to accept that label so these areas of kia-forums stay clean and PG13 rated... I have to STOP problems even "if" they are posted just trying to be humorous...

I'm sorry to see RTFishall wanting to leave these forums but I have a "job" to do and he agreed to the terms of posting here when he registered to post here.

There are known labels for people that live in the UK that would "offend" Mr. RTFishall and persons living in the UK... and I would go after a offending poster of these labels also.

OK...I'm a "cop" and I'm doing what I agreed to do... I hope ALL of you (including RTFishall) can understand WHY we (moderators) MUST do what we do and lets get on with the postings.

A few poorly thought out comments can and do create hostility and hate which we all can do without...
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,928 Posts
I agree with AyJay FULLY...
But it's not just a USA based forum...It's about being careful of how a post may be taken.
His comment "Moderation can be over the top on some forums and in my opinion this being a US based forum it is maybe a little over moderated and sometimes a bit heavy handed" ... I'm just trying to keep this forum from going the wrong way...
Maybe it's because I'm "across the pond" that I don't "get it" :)
Stay cool
Dave

·
Registered
Kia Ceed
281 Posts
Been away for a couple of days and just been looking at this and the other thread about warranties.

Cannot believe that a poster would feel the need to start a thread moaning about posts on another thread.

Glad I have been away otherwise I would probably have been in the "hate" camp as well.

·
Registered
09 Pro-Ceed 1.4 ZR7
346 Posts
Perhaps youve hit the nail on the head there with your "I just dont get it" comment. I think that in general the US and UK have very different views of what is and isnt acceptable. You can see this very easily in how some of our finest comedy shows just die a death when shown in the US. As i generalisation i think that US based forums are much quicker to moderate rather than just let people have a rant at each other. The US does seem to be more "Politically correct" and very keen not to offend anyone. We in the UK are far more "Anglo Saxon" in our approach to things.

Time and again on the motorcycle forums i see American posters saying how much they love the UK bike mags as they will say it how it is whereas the US mags are very careful not to offend anyone, the importers or manufacturers. Its just different cultures and different attitudes to what is or isnt acceptable. This goes the same for forums and how they are moderated. This is what i mean when i say this forum seems over moderated. Its not a dig at anyone or how its run. Whether we like it or not the internet is a global resource and people must realise that what we as Brits may find acceptable others may not. Even what one person may find acceptable another may not, such as Sencernj getting very hot under the collar about what was said. Others may have just shrugged it off and moved on.
Is it only me however that sees the irony in a US based moderator telling a UK member off for saying something bad about France when after 9/11 many US food chains changed French Fries to Freedom Fries and the US hatred of the France and anything French was common knowledge? Not trying to get banned here, just saying like!

There really is nothing to be gained by having a tantrum online, you will never win. Just ignore it, smile and move on to another subject or, if it really bothers you that much, just dont come on that forum any more! No one is forcing anyone to use this forum, if things on here really are that objectionable then dont come on here!

·
Registered
863 Posts
Actually, I'm still with Spencer here.
I read thru many of the posts in the "7 year warranties" thread, and it was a bit of a witch hunt.

Spencer stated his experience & knowledge, pointed out that kia cannot legally void the warranty on the entire vehicle just because a non-recommended engine flush was used. How would that affect the shock absorbers, boot lid, shocks, etc!
Simply put, certain members just gave him clear abuse without actually reading what he'd said!

It isn't right, not even to an English bloke who wasn't involved in the discussion.

That's my two-penneth anyhow.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento
364 Posts
Agreed with dubster, reading that thread I see alot of folks getting angry for no reason. Most seemed to start attacking without understanding what he was even saying. Not surprised, alot of forums are getting worse and worse.

·
Registered
Kia ProCeed Sport 2.0
46 Posts
Agree with Mods

Hello all, this is my first post in ages! and for once I feel it may be useful haha!

I have been away from the forum for quite some time, and even then there was a few bickerings here and there, yes every forum will have its loud mouthed people, I at times can be one of them as to be honest I am quite stubborn and vocal. Having came back there are a lot of people on this forum that seem intent to cause havok lol. I mean, is there any need to call somebody a "stupid idiot" because the got the method of diesel injection wrong on an engine that was made several years ago, as you said dude... methodical argumentative constructive talk!

There is one major problem with this forum, and its always going to be the bain for Kia forums, and that my friends is the warranty... nope I don't mean people coming on shouting about it, well I do... but let me explain. My old car was a 1999 Citroen Xsara Coupe... the only thing that worked in it was the engine... it had three gearboxes, two axles, 6 wishbones, and god knows what else... and that was when I owned it, from 2009 to 2012. The CXOC forum is full of how to's, how this is done, how that is done... we even had a member who ran his own garage and allowed users to access the Citroen parts database so we could find part diagrams... This was all done to fix problems, so the dealers didn't... now when you think about this, all modern cee'd's have a 7 year warranty, as does any kia... so if its under warranty, and something breaks... why the hell are you going to bust your ass under a car with a jack, sockets and god knows what else, you simply drive to a garage, get them to check it out and if there is a problem it gets fixed.

The problem lies on a set few who feel they are being victimised by Kia dealers. I remember a massive article on here about new cee'd's veering off one side of the road... there was about twenty people claiming this had happened to them and they were worried incase it suddenly swerved off into the depths of despair. When the likes of myself went on to say mine was fine, I got this hasty message of a guy angry and me because my car was working, I didn't reply but thats the kinda people your going to get...

Most people will know that Kia's are solid cars, but you do get the occasional few that will have their niggles, and until we build up a significant database of how to's we are going to have people who deliberately cause a fuss

We obviously get people who are always right no matter when they are proven wrong, and just general people who cause arguments, but it is my belief that the very thing designed to protect Kia owners and their cars, destroys the forum atmosphere...

Anyways with that speech done am off to nose about the forums and see whats been happening :) Merry Xmas too guys !

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't post often, but I'll chime in for a min. I am an regular active member of a number of kdm related forums. An right now a few do seem less active, but let's not forget people get busy around the holidays. Also forum egos across the boards have sky rocketed. An a lot more people bump heads. A sister forum to this (forteforums.com) is now recovering from,a simular forum war. An its because of great moderators devoting their time an effort, to weed out the trolls, clean up the threads, an still let people share their different views an arguments, but quickly disarm as soon as it gets out of hand. An now the forum is picking up in a positive way again. So still speak ur mind but in a respectful way. Let the mods do their jobs an vent appropriately.

Sent from my HTC One V using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
863 Posts
I'm with both you guys, and yeah I suppose we do lack a major part of most car forums, the 'maintenance how-to' sections, as our dealers generally take care of that side free of charge.
Good call Grant.

Let's just look past this pointy time towards a happier forum again, one full of the decent cheerful banter of old, and with less in the way of personal abuse!

·
Registered
KIA C'eed SW2 ecodynamic
64 Posts
yup,yup. I come on here to seek help and vent my frustration over car issues, not to be judged. I like this forum even though I am very new. I hope it stays around in a beneficial way. Finding anything for a Ceed is hard. On another matter,Dubster, what happened to your C'eed? Are you getting another one?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts