Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Kia Rondo EX V6
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anyone else has the same experience. The original set of Michelin worn out after 2 years at 21,000 miles. Although it was a bit earlier than expected, I did not hesitate to get a new set of Continental Extreme Contact as I did not like the original set of tires anyway. The Continental tires performed well for the first 12-18 months (15,000 miles) with very good traction. However, at my third rotation (17,000 miles), it was found to be down to ~3/16 left and need replacement soon. Originally I thought I will have another 4000 miles or so to shop for another set. But I hit a pot hole this morning and one tire need to be replaced soon. I am going to have prorated warranty credit to purchase another set of tires. What do you guys recommend? I would like to get a new set with good snow/ice traction and ~50,000 miles rating.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
20,000 miles does seem quite a short life for tyres; was there any sign of poor alignment, such as wearing on the edges?

What type of Michelins did you have? I'm getting 70,000 km (43,000 miles) from a set of Michelin XM1 "Green" on my sedan, and I consider that to be very good. I think you would be lucky to get 50,000 miles from any tyre on your Rondo. Fairly big car, smallish tyres (205/60-16 isn't it?).

·
Registered
2008 Kia Rondo EX V6
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is actually 225/50-17. It does not seem to have severe alignment issue by the wearing. It is not clear to me why it wear out so quickly on both sets. Perhaps it is due to the road conditions (lots of pot holes, cracks, and road salt due to the severe winter weather). Nevertheless, my previous car did not have such problem. I guess it is related to the size of the car as well. I forgot what was the original set of Michelin that came with it. It is not top quality anyway. I was even considered to trade it in when they were new.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
Road conditions play a big part in how long tires last. Where I'm at, 20k is about the average I see out of a set of tires. Most of our roads are very rough pavement, and we have lots of hills and turns.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Yes, 225/50-17 is quite a decent size tyre. I guess you find that the fronts wear a lot faster than the rear, but there's not much you can do about the roads. Are you using something like 36 PSI in the tyres? There are brands advertised with "Extra Tread" e.g. Cooper, but I have no experience with these.

Despite what you may hear, Oz roads are quite good, and 30,000 miles is about normal for a set of 4 tyres. Maybe a little more if you are including a spare in the rotation. BTW, I tend to rotate fairly infrequently; something like 10,000 miles. Sometimes the rears just stay there while new ones go on the front. No, I'm not of the "best tyres on the rear" persuasion.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
I owned a '08 Rondo with a 2.4L for 4 years and got about 75,000 km (47,000 miles) out of the original OEM Hankook tires.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium 5-door, *old* 2009 Kia Rondo LX 4cyl 2.4L
492 Posts
Dealer had put a pair of Nexen tires on my 2009 Rondo when I bought it in 2010 with 33K miles, had to have replaced at 44K (terrible grip, loud, got 10 nails spread out in all 4). Put a set of Bridgestone G019's on, replaced them under warranty at 61K with a set of Bridgestone Turanza Serenity's. So far, best tires I've had and seem to be wearing pretty good as well, though I expect I'll be lucky to get 30K out of them.

Previous car, a 2003 Ford Focus, one set ran through all the rubber in 12K miles, next one I was lucky to get 20K out of. That's just what happens when you have FWD vehicles, especially if you drive in town. They eat the fronts like nobody's business. If you want even tire wear, buy an AWD Subaru, I swear, you don't even really need to rotate them! Granted, if anything happens to one or two tires, you're screwed, because you have to replace all 4 at once with their drive system.

·
Registered
2008 Kia Rondo EX V6
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After hearing the same short thread life experience from you guys, now I am feeling better (or worse). ;-)

·
Registered
Current: 2007 Kia Rondo LX I4. Former: 2006 Kia Spectra5
226 Posts
I got 39,000 miles from my stock Kumho KH16. Looks like I will get about the same from my current Michelin Primacy tires. I won't be buying the Michelins again, they are a rough riding tire.

OBTW, I have the 16 inch wheels.

·
Banned
79 Posts
I also have these tires on my 2012 Rondo, same size, brand etc and I'm curious how long these ones will last. I guess about 3-4 years is pretty good or average depending on your daily commuting distance etc?

Biggest thing in maintaining tires and getting the max kms/miles out of them is a)proper inflation, checking it every week or two b) making sure your vehicle is aligned properly, if it pulls to the side, it ain't aligned lol! c) make sure you rotate your tires at least once per season (Summer/Winter) or more depending again on your daily commute.

I personally think buying the top of the line expensive tires, usually about double the price of lesser costing tires like Khumo, Hercules, etc is just silly, if you're not getting any more distance out of them, and sometimes the ride is actually WORSE than the discount brand, then you're just wasting your money on a brand name, and nothing more. Of course don't quote me on this, some might have better grip, better winter performance etc, but for the most part and what I've read on forums etc, the difference in performance and durability vs cost is negligible between the top brands, and more 'economy' branded tires.

Of course, in colder climates, your tires will last a LOT longer if you use another set of wheels in the winter, steel rims with winter weather tires, that will make driving in either season better, and your tire life increase incredibly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is not uncommon for 1st generation tires to wear out faster since they are "optimized" for the vehicle. Which usually means they have less tread. Some things to check:

The way the tires wear is the best indicator for what is wrong. Rapid/ irregular wear on one side vs the adjacent tread is a mechanical issue, i.e. alignment wear. When the tread wears out rapidly on the two outside edges this indicates a under-inflation problem and when it wears out in the center this indications a over-inflation problem. Moreover, you probably have high performance or ultra high performance tires on the vehicle which will last usually 20,000 to 60,000 miles depending on the tire. I sold tires for approximately 10 years and IMO Michelin tires are the best on the road. Can you post some pictures of the tires? You should replace them at 2/32" which is when the state requires you to replace them....

Rotate & balance every 6-8K
Check inflation pressure monthly
Alignments every 6k/ 6 mo

Hopefully this advice will make your 4th set last longer.

Good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts