Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Sedona 2012
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2012 Kia Sedona.

The third row seats are essentially unusable due to the headrests. When they are in the down position they jut out and push the passenger's head/back forward and are uncomfortable. When pushing them to the up position they rub the top of the passenger's head.

There is no comfortable position to place the headrest. If my kids do sit there, they sit sideways in order to avoid the headrest.

This is just a dreadful design - did anyone at Kia sit in these things before building the cars?

Does anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
Sedona 2012
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The information in the above link did not help.

Anyone else having this problem? Any ideas?

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,145 Posts
I have never heard anyone complain. I once drove 6 old church ladies to a convention 6 hours away, and none of them complained - even sitting 3 across with arthritis. The only complaint I heard was that the entry handle was awkwardly positioned. I have an 06 model, but the 12 shouldn't be any different. I have leather seats, though. Cloth seats are uncomfortably firm for my liking. You could always completely remove the headrest I guess. They do come out.

·
Registered
Sedona 2012
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have never heard anyone complain. I once drove 6 old church ladies to a convention 6 hours away, and none of them complained - even sitting 3 across with arthritis. The only complaint I heard was that the entry handle was awkwardly positioned. I have an 06 model, but the 12 shouldn't be any different. I have leather seats, though. Cloth seats are uncomfortably firm for my liking. You could always completely remove the headrest I guess. They do come out.
Hmm. Maybe mine are installed incorrectly. I bought it used from CarMax. I don't see anyway to remove them. I guess I will try to locate some documentation (I don't have an owner's manual) on this.

·
Registered
2004 kia sedona
17 Posts
Maybe they are put in backwards? On my 04 sedona there is a tab on the side of one the holes that the head rest slides into. Push that button in and you just pull the headrest out.

·
Registered
Sedona 2012
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe they are put in backwards? On my 04 sedona there is a tab on the side of one the holes that the head rest slides into. Push that button in and you just pull the headrest out.
They were put in forward. I was able to pull them out and stick them in the holes in the back which was a bit of an improvement but they still jutted out too far to be usable by my 10 and 12 year old children. I pulled them out and turned them backwards which renders them useless. However, back seat can now be used. It looks a little weird but its better than not being able to use the seat at all.

Now... the "middle" seat belt hangs across the left seat. Grrrrr :mad:

I guess I could cut it or wrap it around the middle pillow to get it out of the way but.... really??

The design of this back seat is just atrocious. How could they have possibly bring a car to market with such a comically bad design? Do they even think of having just one person sit in the seats to test them out before mass producing them?

So far, I like everything else about this van. The third row seat is a maddeningly stupid flaw.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,145 Posts
The middle seat belt detaches. There is a small box at the bottom of the belt. If you stick the key in there it releases.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes. I just bought a 2012 Kia Sedona in Reno NV. the fully loaded leather EX. Whats with the third row headrests jutting forward so much? Looking at it, it looks likes theirs a big gap of space enough to push them back so they sit flush against the back of the seat. Therfore not jutting forward so much. But I tried every wich way and it does not move forward even though their is a gap and hole which looks like it would reposition back a bit so it's not so uncomfortable to sit there. What I did is pull them out completely and put them in facing backwards. It makes it much more flush and it kind of sits in the hole although not very tight. It's kind of floatong in that hole/gap area. A very poor design flaw. I don't know. maybe Korean people are used to sitting in such awkward positions that the designers didn't care about it. Weird. Other than that it's a great car. Much more bang for the buck then a similar equipped Sienna or Odyssey. P.S. Does anyone know if you can install a ceiling mounted DVD player if you have the sunroof? Will the sunroof keep you from putting the screen where the 2nd row will see it? HELP!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys. One more question. I just bought my Kia Sedona (2012 ex) at CarMax. It only had one remote control unit. I can get a cheap one on line but Kia says it costs about $70 to just program it. One half hour labor. Really? I find that hard to believe. It probably takes them all of 5 minutes to do. Can I program my own keyless 6 button remote and save $70.00 or must I take it to either a locksmith or the dealer? Do the remotes for Kia Sedona's come with self programming instructions? HELP AGAIN!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts