Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX w/ Premium Package & Nav
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st off, I love my red 2012 sportage ex w/ prem. package. It's just...the power sucks. I sold my 2008 Audi A4 for this more family friendly car (have 1 yr old triplets). I needed decent fuel efficiency, good safety, affordable payment, warranty, etc. Have all that with the EX.

But, for some reason I keep telling myself I need to see how much it would cost me to "upgrade" to a SX. I'm used to more pep and it bugs the crap out of me that I don't have that when me, the wife, and 3 kids (with 2 strollers) are somewhat struggling to get up a freeway hill here in southern Cali.

When I bought the EX I really thought it was the right choice for the above reasons. It is after all a family car so cheaper/more fuel efficient made sense 3 months ago.

Anyway, I called the dealership and they said they would at least show me what it would cost and explain any hassles etc. I do appreciate that but, I wanted to see if:

A) Has anyone else here been in a similar situation. Advice?

B) Am I an idiot who just needs to get over it and just bite the bullet and stfu and enjoy the nice new car I bought?

Thanks...

Jason

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2016 Ford Focus RS
479 Posts
I would be amazed if they come up with a deal any better than a standard trade-in. And in that case it is likely you would be better off just selling the EX yourself and buying an SX with the proceeds. In 3 months of depreciation you will lose a few thousand depending on what kind of deal when you bought it, and again will lose a few thousand in sales tax if you pick up the SX, plus the price difference between EX/SX. I think somewhere between $5k and $10k is what you will have to come up with to do the upgrade.

I haven't been in your situation exactly, but I can sure understand your desire. A few years back I decided that I can never again own a non-turbo vehicle. They are just so much more fun than even a similarly powered V6 or V8.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^ Fully agree and exactly what I was thinking... :-(

But, until I know for sure and see the numbers etc. I really won't be able to put my mind at ease. I know I won't do it as like you said, it'll be way too much $$. But, I still need to know.

Thanks for the info/advice.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
I don't think you're crazy at all. Just curious, why didn't you get an SX from the beginning?

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
593 Posts
Makes sense to me. Keep in mind you aren't actually determined to go through with what they are offering (Yeah! Right!).
My wife had no intention of parting with her Subaru Impreza until she saw the new Rio 3 door. Just came out with "what would the changeover cost be?" One day (soon) we will stop in and see.
Don't ask, you'll never know.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
1,952 Posts
No problem if you have the $$$ to throw away......

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No problem if you have the $$$ to throw away......
Ding ding. Sadly for me I have more brains than money so no way in hell I'm doing it ;-)

I went in and it was too expensive. They offered normal trade price as someone posted said they would and the SX isn't really available nor without factory nav (I just want UVO). oh well... Just wanted to hear the options.

Oh, and I didn't buy the SX originally because I was thinking: This is a family car. Save the money and get better fuel efficiency etc. Dumb sort of in hindsight. But, I do like the car so it's not a total "fail". Ugh, just wish I grabbed one while they were just sitting on the lot. I guess that bugs me the most - not so much having to deal with a slower/less powerful vehicle.

Again, as someone mentioned, I'd be better off just selling it myself and buying a 201X model new like a returning customer. I may just do that in a year or two.

Thanks for the feedback/advice.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
I hear ya! Tell me about it! I'm in an even worse situation then you, I'd love to get a new Sportage SX, because my Tucson GLS (Sportage EX equivalent I'm guessing?) Hyundai promised to put the turbo in the Tucson 1st, but never did? I now have 50k miles on it, and it is just plain, & boring to drive lately. It also seems to be getting slower by the day :rolleyes: It seemed alot faster when new, but it's probably just my imagination. It only gets real peppy when I drive it alone with an almost empty fuel tank!:( Forget about loading it up with people, luggage, and going uphill around here especially with the A/C on! :eek: Well, good luck to ya, I'm actually thinking of maybe even getting a V6 Sorento for possible boat towing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts