Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching/searching for a used compact hatchback for months now.

I narrowed it down to the Sonic, Accent and Rio. Ideally I want the the Sonic but regardless of how much people want to defend GM, it's an awful company that puts out terribly manufactured cars regularly. The Sonic is no exception. I tried talking myself into getting it because I just love the Sonic's design but a quick search of the problems they have and I couldn't risk it.

The Rio ended up being the best combo of aesthetics, bang for your buck and reliability.

That being said, I've found a '12 EX Rio that I like. Are there any common issues that I should be on the lookout for when I go see/test drive it?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,632 Posts
I've been researching/searching for a used compact hatchback for months now.

I narrowed it down to the Sonic, Accent and Rio. Ideally I want the the Sonic but regardless of how much people want to defend GM, it's an awful company that puts out terribly manufactured cars regularly. The Sonic is no exception. I tried talking myself into getting it because I just love the Sonic's design but a quick search of the problems they have and I couldn't risk it.

The Rio ended up being the best combo of aesthetics, bang for your buck and reliability.

That being said, I've found a '12 EX Rio that I like. Are there any common issues that I should be on the lookout for when I go see/test drive it?
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your User Account/Profile

eg.
USA
Considering a 12 EX Rio turbo AWD

UPDATE: Vehicle Information

Forum Rules

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

·
Registered
2012 Rio5
65 Posts
My 2012 Kia Rio was purchased in Oct 2011. It has been rock solid. The only not-normal money that I have put into it is 3 new TPMS sensors over the years. ( My 3 years-older GM cars have never had TPMS replaced... ) I am 6'3", and fit nicely into the car. I have 60k miles on it.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio
129 Posts
No common issue with this model. When on the test drive just listen for any noises that are out of the ordinary. Clunking over bumps, noises when braking. Being a 2012 it could be close to needing some service dependent on mileage or time. Spark plugs, coolant exchange, transmission service. None of these are expensive but something to keep in mind.

The most important thing, and this is true with any used car, is that it was maintained and taken care of. Ask for service records, talk to the owner and determine if they are the type of person that takes care of what they own. Download a copy of the owners manual and check for maintenance that should have been done depending on the mileage and ask if it has been done. Don't be in a rush. The right car is worth waiting for and will pay dividends with a long trouble free service life.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts