Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have been Honda/Toyota ppl, we currently have13-year-old Odyssey. It is time we look at the latest offerings for features and safety options. I don't dare to venture any European offerings including Volvo. The last thing I want at work is the dreaded call from my wife that her daily drive has stalled. Mazda lost it in their hatred towards EVs and will ultimately be acquired or merged with Nissan. Nissan has not revamped their offerings (Murano, pathfinder) past 10 years while they are busy overhauling Maxima which no one buys. I still don't think "american" (not really as most of made outside of US than even Kia) cars are still at the level of refinement of Toyota/Honda to charge a premium.
Considering all these, there are not many choices left for 3-row vehicles. That lead me to S Koreans.

We looked at Santa Fe, Pallisade Telluride, and Sorento this weekend. Surprisingly I found Tellride ride more jerky and lacking at low speed than Sorento. Pallisade engine curve felt smooth from start till cruising speed. Santa Fe 4 cylinder Turbo was worse. Nothing special about how I felt about Telluride and Sorento drive. Overall I liked Telluride interior and exterior. Features galore in all these models even in penultimate trims.
But my wife was not thrilled with either vehicle. She is just too nervous to get out of the shackles of Toyonda.

Telluride I was told at the dealership to pay $2k-$3k over the sticker and I just ran out of the shop. At home, I looked at current discounts on Sorento and that got me excited. The SUV fits all our needs and the value proposition is mind-blowing. Here are my questions:

1) Engine stalling problem can be identified by test driving the car? Can we put the condition that we drive the exact car we are buying before we sign? Or is it better to buy a floor model with few miles on it, that way we can drive it
2) Are there any other annoying problems with Sorento particularly interior? It goes without saying that Odyssey (beside brake, axle problems) has been flawless past 13 years.
3) I am leaning towards EX trim and the best price I have seen is with 10k discount over MSRV, is it possible to do better than that ?
4) Any news on the upcoming 2021 Sorento ? I am worried v6 may be axed and I prefer not to get 4 cylinders even with a hybrid. Moreover, I don't like the new grill and face that is on Sportage.
5) Any prediction come summer, Sorento will be further discounted or Telluride will be offered a few thousand below MSRP ?
6) LED and adaptive headlights only come in SLX trim? Is there an option to get it on EX?
7) If there is no finance limitation, is it better to lease or buy considering that I want to move all EV sometime in the next 5 years when there are a lot more EV offerings? Probably at that time we may not even need 3 rows.

I saved best for last, Sorento had a best panoramic roof, that feature will haunt me if I go with any other car.

Sorry for the essay.

Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
We have been Honda/Toyota ppl, we currently have13-year-old Odyssey. It is time we look at the latest offerings for features and safety options. I don't dare to venture any European offerings including Volvo. The last thing I want at work is the dreaded call from my wife that her daily drive has stalled. Mazda lost it in their hatred towards EVs and will ultimately be acquired or merged with Nissan. Nissan has not revamped their offerings (Murano, pathfinder) past 10 years while they are busy overhauling Maxima which no one buys. I still don't think "american" (not really as most of made outside of US than even Kia) cars are still at the level of refinement of Toyota/Honda to charge a premium.
Considering all these, there are not many choices left for 3-row vehicles. That lead me to S Koreans.

We looked at Santa Fe, Pallisade Telluride, and Sorento this weekend. Surprisingly I found Tellride ride more jerky and lacking at low speed than Sorento. Pallisade engine curve felt smooth from start till cruising speed. Santa Fe 4 cylinder Turbo was worse. Nothing special about how I felt about Telluride and Sorento drive. Overall I liked Telluride interior and exterior. Features galore in all these models even in penultimate trims.
But my wife was not thrilled with either vehicle. She is just too nervous to get out of the shackles of Toyonda.

Telluride I was told at the dealership to pay $2k-$3k over the sticker and I just ran out of the shop. At home, I looked at current discounts on Sorento and that got me excited. The SUV fits all our needs and the value proposition is mind-blowing. Here are my questions:

1) Engine stalling problem can be identified by test driving the car? Can we put the condition that we drive the exact car we are buying before we sign? Or is it better to buy a floor model with few miles on it, that way we can drive it
2) Are there any other annoying problems with Sorento particularly interior? It goes without saying that Odyssey (beside brake, axle problems) has been flawless past 13 years.
3) I am leaning towards EX trim and the best price I have seen is with 10k discount over MSRV, is it possible to do better than that ?
4) Any news on the upcoming 2021 Sorento ? I am worried v6 may be axed and I prefer not to get 4 cylinders even with a hybrid. Moreover, I don't like the new grill and face that is on Sportage.
5) Any prediction come summer, Sorento will be further discounted or Telluride will be offered a few thousand below MSRP ?
6) LED and adaptive headlights only come in SLX trim? Is there an option to get it on EX?
7) If there is no finance limitation, is it better to lease or buy considering that I want to move all EV sometime in the next 5 years when there are a lot more EV offerings? Probably at that time we may not even need 3 rows.

I saved best for last, Sorento had a best panoramic roof, that feature will haunt me if I go with any other car.

Sorry for the essay.

Thanks
Sx trim of sorento has big lease cash. What people are doing is negotiating sale price, then stating they want to lease. Getting lease cash, waiting for account to be setup with Hyundai/Kia finance, then buying out lease for 300 bucks. Financing through their credit union at low interest rate. Come out ahead. I have seen lease cash on sorento as high as 9k. You can play around on their website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
392 Posts
You're not going to see any discounting on the Telluride in the near future - they are still in short supply at many dealerships and most are getting MSRP at a minimum and some considerably over that. I wouldn't count on Sorento incentives getting any higher either and actually quite the opposite is more likely as supply dwindles down to what the manufacturer considers "normal". Given the robust economy and spending on luxury items, the Sorento actually represents an extremely good deal for the average consumer.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
317 Posts
One thing to watch on a lease is state sales tax is in the initial deal. Then, in some states, if you want to buy the car, tax is added again.

My 2019 V6 has been perfect driveability, especially after 2,000 miles when I noticed lots more power.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento
61 Posts
You're not going to see any discounting on the Telluride in the near future - they are still in short supply at many dealerships and most are getting MSRP at a minimum and some considerably over that. I wouldn't count on Sorento incentives getting any higher either and actually quite the opposite is more likely as supply dwindles down to what the manufacturer considers "normal". Given the robust economy and spending on luxury items, the Sorento actually represents an extremely good deal for the average consumer.
KIA just announced they are increasing production on the Telluride to 100k units this year due to demand.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sx trim of sorento has big lease cash. What people are doing is negotiating sale price, then stating they want to lease. Getting lease cash, waiting for account to be setup with Hyundai/Kia finance, then buying out lease for 300 bucks. Financing through their credit union at low interest rate. Come out ahead. I have seen lease cash on sorento as high as 9k. You can play around on their website

So that means I first negotiate SP of vehicle e.g. Sorento EX for $28k, then negotiate lease based on $5800 lease cash which effectively reduces SP further by that much discount . Buying out lease will be at the end of the term e.g. 24 months right ? Was $9k lease cash during year end clearance ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
So that means I first negotiate SP of vehicle e.g. Sorento EX for $28k, then negotiate lease based on $5800 lease cash which effectively reduces SP further by that much discount . Buying out lease will be at the end of the term e.g. 24 months right ? Was $9k lease cash during year end clearance ?
Exactly. Your concerned with the selling price and then the discounted lease cash. If your buying it out you don’t care about the money factor(which they will probably jack up). Just don’t let them throw in BS fees. Don’t say anything about buying it out. Just do it as you would lease. Look over everything carefully. Dealerships are good at deception.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXL AWD
155 Posts
The most important thing is to go in knwing what you want and can afford to pay and not go over it. If you are happy with the deal you shouldn't keep worrying that you may have saved another couple of dollars had you fought with the dealer. You may need that dealer in the future for just recalls or warranty service.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento LX V6 AWD
5 Posts
Hello OP:
Do what I did: go to Autotrader and search for used 2019 with AWD and V6. I was able to find a certified Sorento from the stealership for 18k with 50k miles on it. You might be able to find one with super low miles for under 20k. I got the LX version. It doesn’t have a lot of “toys” but comes with plenty of power and AWD... You’ll pay up a premium for a Telluride. Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is very good suggestion. Though most of the 2019 certified are LX rental, so I have to expand my area to get EX or SX preowned with low mileage. thx

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
392 Posts
That is very good suggestion. Though most of the 2019 certified are LX rental, so I have to expand my area to get EX or SX preowned with low mileage. thx
Just remember that buying used, you do not get the 10/100,000 mile drivetrain coverage - applies to original owner only. Don't know what kind of warranty goes with Kia CPO program so might cover that time frame and mileage after all.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento LX V6 AWD
5 Posts
Just remember that buying used, you do not get the 10/100,000 mile drivetrain coverage - applies to original owner only. Don't know what kind of warranty goes with Kia CPO program so might cover that time frame and mileage after all.
The vehicle gets a full powertrain coverage through the CPO.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts