Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Kia Sephia manual tran no p/s or a/c, 98 Subaru LegOB
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,
I'm not new to kia's but might be new to a spectra5 here in coming weeks. I am poking around again for another daily driver and wanted to know concerns/thoughts on the spectras in the '03-'06 years...

Any issues I should beware of when buying one of those years?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
Common problem is that the timing belt doesn't get changed every 5yrs/60k miles. Because the engine is an interference type if/when the TB breaks you trash the engine... If you buy the Spec5 take the time to replace the belt and then don't worry for 60k more miles...
If the car has an automatic tranny drain refill fluid (Diamond III) every 30k...
Replace the plugs if over 60k miles and use ONLY NGK or Denso brand plugs. Gap them at .044" ...
Post what you are looking at... and the mileage on it...
They have been really good cars if they have been taken care of...
We'll give you some feedback...
Dave

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
here's is a particular one Ithought of...although the miles are a bit high so I'll be looking around more.
2004 Kia Rio hatchback

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
Just be sure to replace the TB as replacement engines are very expensive and hard to find for this model year Rio.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pretty easy job? probably somewhat involved. I did it on my 99 a while back, but that didn't have a/c or p/s in the way. :) is it similar to the sephia timing belt job?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am going through 252K miles on my 05 spectra 5, which I've owned since it had around 7k on it. Changed timing belt twice, at 120k and at 240k with no issues. Each time the belt looked good and tensioner/pulleys didn't make bad bearing noise... Car is going strong.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts