Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all this is my first posting currently I have a 2.5 petrol Xtail but I am looking for something with a higher towing capacity I guess I am looking for any feedback on the Sorento compared with over 4x4 such as jeep Shoguns etc and on how well it tows around 2.5 tons of horses and horse box.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Having driven most of the configurations of the Sorento I opted for the 5 speed auto with the sports mode.
Towing wise I have found it a dream and in total control of the caravan, even to the point of my wife happily towing, which gives me a break on a long haul.
I did not like the jerkiness of the manual boxes between 1st - 2nd - 3rd and always felt I needed a 6th gear, but on the auto the gears feel extremely right and it will happily roll along at 80mph on the motorway and I would not say it is that slow off the mark if you make use of the sports mode.
The only drawback and constant bone of contention is the fuel consumption, average seems to be about 27mpg for my self around Norfolk, bearing in mind the lack of dual carriageway and traffic that only seems to move at about 45mph.
Ride is a little firm but I actually like that myself but found it very smooth once you are motoring nicely.
All in all, lovely well built vehicle that is a cross with a Shire horse!
:D Love it to bits myself!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ian thanks for your reply could you tell me how heavy your caravan is ?
I test drove an automatic a few weeks ago and the main complaint I had was that the steering felt very light and gave very little feedback.
The other concern I have is reliability as I travel at least 25000 miles per year and wouldnt want a vehicle that spent half its life in the dealers.

I have also test driven the Discovery and a Shogun but havent made my mind up to which is best suited ...I would appreciate feedback from any one who has previously owned other makes of 4x4 and have moved to a Kia.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The steering is very light on the Sorento, but does weight up a bit with speed, it is speed sensitive.
Having worked for Land Rover previously, I can say the Sorento is in another league reliability wise compared to the disco, very rare to get a sorento in on breakdown.
Bulk of things on them are cleared on recall, at least thats planned, and doesn;t leave you stranded.
All the higher mileage ones I've seen have improved a lot with some mileage, feel much more responsive and willing than brand new ones.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts