Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get mixed reviews locally, mostly BAD. Tell me... is a 2005 Rio worth the time, effort and money? The warranty is great but some say it is sorely needed because the Rio stays in the shop! True?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Listen up there Old Dut...Go ahead and by it. I have a 03 Rio with 33,000 miles and the only problem i have had was a broken door handle which happened at 30,500 miles.. Oh yes, my other car is a 1988 Toyota Tercel really like them too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The biggest problem I have with the Kia is that everything but the oil filter is dealer only, so parts are very expensive. The rims also tend to bend easily, never bent a rim in my life and with the Kia we have bent 3 or maybe all 4....just hit a pot hole and the rim caves. Over all I have a lot of miles on mine with no major repairs....yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you are going to keep the car until it dies it is fine but the trade value on them is terrible.....we are putting enough miles on our 02 Rio it wouldn't matter what kind of car it is...139,000 and counting

·
Registered
2004 Kia Rio
22 Posts
I say go for it! I had the same "advice" from family and friends when the brand was new here in Canada. No regrets, and we have recently purchased our 3rd KIA.
I think the most important thing is to be comfortable with the service department - that's made my experience VERY pleasant.
I've not had any problems with any of the cars.
Keep 'em up with regular maintenance, and you'll be ok.
As with ANY car, let 'em slide, and pay a lot later.
For parts pricing, I find them in line with any other make out there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got an '01 Rio I've owned since new and now has 100,000km on it.

I've been looking to replace it with something else..

Looked at the Echo, Cavalier, Smart, Aveo, Aerio and Swift.

After doing a lot of looking I just decided to keep my Rio. I just enjoy driving it more than the other ones which all seemed to be uncomfortable or lacking something.

Yeah I've had it in the shop a few times but nothing major and if I had the 5yr warranty it would have all been covered (in '01 it was only 3yr bumper to bumper)

I ALWAYS keep up on my maintenance. I trust my Kia, but I'm not tempting fate by ignoring maintenance :)

Resale value is TERRIBLE! if you plan to keep it, great! If you plan to lease or drive for a few years your probably better off with something else.

Fuel economy is so-so. Drive softly and it isn't too bad. Drive it hard and, well, you'll pay for it in fuel.

Final thought. If you can hold off, the Rio is being totally redesigned for 2006. Sounds like the 2006 is going to be a big improvement. Having said that, if they offer great incentives to clear out the 2005's -- well, I've really enjoyed mine and would recommend it to anyone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with u if u go on the US website, if i understand they are about to use something like what the Echo have about the technology for the valves so u have constant power anytime. And the car makes me think soo much about a Jetta that if they have the same pleasure to drive like the European it's sure i'm about to get one

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 01' Rio that I bought about a month and a half ago with 82,000 miles on it for like $2,500. I have not had a problem out of it yet just trying to make sure all the scheduled maintenance is up to date. I would not buy one new because the resale value is so low. You can get one so much cheaper if you buy one with a little mileage on it like an 04'.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a kia rio 2001 hatchback, and personally since the day i bought it brand new i've had nothing but problems from four cd player replacements due to them not working to a four month wait to parts. The last one cost me $800 to fix when the master cylinder went (something along those lines) and when someone hit my car and the rear passenger door panel and panel by the petrol tank area needed replaced due to the metal being ripped open it took 4months to get the parts and get it fixed and it only happened this quickly because i told kia that it was unsuitable to drive a car where only three doors were usable, two panels had started rusting and which could easily get it defected, next day i get a call saying the parts are located, funny timing, threaten action and i got them moving! The latest of the problems with my car has been a weird whizzing noise coming from the front drivers side tyre, lets just hope when i get this checked out tomorrow that it wont cost me a arm and a leg! And one more point to add if and when you take it for a test drive check out the idling, mine idles like its about to cark it and runs like a snail with any weight in the car even grocery shopping.
I think its the car you get some seem to be ok and others are riddled with faults, mine fit into the last category even though its had regular services every 5000km instead of the 10000km thats normal, i dont thrash the engine what so ever (and you cant in this model anyway) and spent half its life in the service centre i just cant wait till 2006 when i finish the financing on it and can sell it for scrap cos thats all it will probably be worth by then!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've already posted my thoughts in "Rio reliability" regarding the problems I've had with my company Kia and the rest of the fleet of rio's we lease so if you want to read them go there....
bubbaloush.. it's funny you should mention servicing, I've had the same dramas with Kia service, mine too has been regularly serviced every 7500km or so, the craziest part of all this is that if you ask a Kia service centre they say that the recommended service intervals are actually every 15000km's not 10000 as you'd expect, I don't think mine would last 15000km's between services lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts