Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're going to test drive an '06 Sportage this week. It has about 177000km on it & asking price is $4200 Canadian [about $4060 USD] at a dealership. Our mechanic said that with 'foreign' cars it's less about the km's & more about the body...making sure there's no rust etc.

Anything else I should look for? Does that seem like a good price?

I've read a bit of info on a timing belt that should be replaced every 60,000KM? Also, something about a butterfly control...or is that a Sorento issue?

Any advice/help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
06 Sportage/2012 Navara V6 TD
305 Posts
There is no problem with the butterfly control. On the Sportage, it is cable operated whereas the Sorento is electronically controlled.

You really should make sure the timing belt has been changed. There are many stories out there for particularly for the G6BA V6 engine and a broken timing belt causing significant damage.

I have had my car since new, and have not had any real problems with it at all. Mind you, I have only clocked up 100 000km (60 000 miles - or there abouts) The radio died, but was replaced under warranty, but I then changed it out anyway. My tyres seem to were out around the 40 - 50 k km mark, quicker than I would like and fuel economy has always been a bit of an issue. Not that it is bad (for the v6), but it is not good either -so average.

Overall, I enjoy driving it around. It still looks good. Has ample room, reasonable power and relatively capable. The best part is that a sniper kit (supercharged developed for the hyundai tiburon) bolts straight on, and this makes it so much more fun to drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks tysinbad!

We test drove it this afternoon. Loved it. The dealer was very up front & said that it needs new rotors & that the hitch isn't working properly. I did not ask about the timing belt yet, as we wanted to even see if we liked the Sportage.

Would it be easy to replace the rotors ourselves? If we got a mechanic to do it, how much would that cost [roughly]? The hitch we won't really use anyway, at least not yet, so that didn't concern us.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts