Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

This is my first post on Kia-Forums. My wife and I just bought a 2005 Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe travel trailer last week. The original owner was gracious enough to deliver it to us (480 mile round trip). We do not own a tow vehicle yet. We own a 2008 Kia Rondo that we enjoy, but it is only rated to tow 2000 lbs, so it is not an option as a tow vehicle. The Casita weighs 2,900 lbs and has an axle weight of of 3,500 lbs.

We would like a tow vehicle rated to tow 5,000 lbs. Given that my wife will drive the tow vehicle some as her daily driver, she has vetoed a pickup truck! ;) We are shopping for a used midsize SUV. My research seems to point to a Toyota 4 Runner as the benchmark midsize SUV to tow a small travel trailer. Given that Casitas tend to be a bit tongue heavy (estimating the tongue weight to be 400 lbs plus/minus 50 lbs), I think we would be better off with a truck based SUV like the 4 Runner or Borrego rather than a crossover. My goal is the following regarding the tow vehicle:

1. Stay as close to $10,000 as possible (can go a wee bit higher)
2. Stay under 100,000 miles.
3. Less than 10 years old.

There are plenty of 4 Runners out there, but tough to find one at my price point without going very high with the miles. Borregos are not as plentiful, but I have found a reasonable supply within 500 miles of my house. For the money, compared to a higher mileage 4 Runner with fewer features, I can find Borregos with 70,000 to 100,000 miles for $12,500 plus/minus $2,500 before negotiating a better price that have more features. There does not seem to be a big difference in the price of V6 vs. V8 Borrego, so I am leaning toward the V8 (able to tow 7,500 lbs.). I can find Limiteds or loaded EXs for less money than 4 Runners.

I am on several RV forums, but there aren't many folks out there towing travel trailers with Borregos.

What are your thoughts about towing with a Borrego? Am I too late to the Borrego game, or is a loaded Borrego with less than 90,000 miles for $11,000 plus/minus $1,000 as good of deal as it appears to me?

Thanks,

Dean

·
Registered
73 Posts
Couple points:

While not a travel trailer I have towed cars on a tow dolly several times with my V8 Borrego and I didn't even know the dolly/vehicle were even back there in either acceleration or braking. Dolly and vehicles had to be well over 4,000 pounds.

It is probably the best vehicle I have ever owned and that includes a couple each of Lincolns, Jaguars and Volvo's.

My Borrego now has 94k miles and I wouldn't sell it for anything near $12-14k.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

We have found a high mileage (153,000) '07 Toyota 4 Runner that has been owned locally for the last 6 years. It is a well optioned V8 4X4 that has everything we want other than leather. I can buy it for $11,700.

I have also found a very nice Borrego Limited V8 4X2 with all the bells and whistles with 83,500 for $12,000, but I will need to drive 500 miles (one way) to finalize the deal.

Love the idea of only 83,000 miles compared to 153,000, but 500 miles will require some effort. Hopefully, it will be as nice as it appears to be. The Borrego is definitely nicer in terms of the options.

Thank you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Borrego towing

I have a 2009 Borrego, V8, LX, 4x2, with 85K miles. I tow an S and H two horse trailer that weighs 5K lbs loaded throughout Colorado and hardly know it is back there! Gas mileage 18 without trailer, 10 or less with trailer but depends on hills. Before the Borrego I had a 1999 4 Runner that I put 250K miles on and did the same towing, but it was so painful because the 4 Runner is underpowered with just a v6--35 mph over mountain passes, tops. Yes, the newer 4 Runners have newer engines, but still only a V6. I had planned on buying a new 4 Runner in 2009 when Toyota retooled it, but they chose not to offer a V8, so I searched hard for a similar vehicle with a v8. The Borrego is the closest thing to a 4 Runner and I like it much better. Reliability has not been an issue at all. Excellent turning radius. Liftback window is not functional. Does ride a little rougher than the 4 Runner but changing out the stock Hankooks for Michelins helped. Does not heat up as quickly on a cold day but heated seats are good. AC compressor is a bit noisy when it kicks on. Sound system is just OK, nothing special. Riders in back seat complain of a harsh ride on bumpy/washerboard roads, and leg room is a little tight there if front seats are pushed back all the way - and that is necessary for most drivers. I never use the 3rd row seats because you lose too much cargo space. The bad: The electric plug receptacle is way under the rear bumper and practically requires you to crawl on your stomach to plug it in. I spent $30 and 1 hour to relocate it near the hitch and am really satisfied now. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have an EX 4x2 V8. Just hit 77,000 miles and still enjoying it. Very little maintenance in the past 6 years of ownership. Just get good quality tires and you will be pleased. My dad picked up an EX V6 4x4 this year with 40,000 miles on it for around $16,000. My brother also has one. Guess we are a borrego family. 4Runners are a great choice too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi All,

Would have been much easier to buy the high mile 4 Runner (153,000 miles) the next town over for $11,700. It was an '07 SR5 Sport Edition 4X4 with all the options we needed and wanted other than leather. But, when it came time to pull the trigger, I had one more conversation with one of dealers that had the Borrego Limited with 83,500 miles. They dropped the price another $250 to $11,750 (even though they add $389 as a "dealer fee"). Given it is a Limited, it is loaded. I did not realize that they had just put on a new set of tires. That is what won me over. The 4 Runner only had about 40% tread left on Michelins.

The bottom line, we put a deposit on the Borrego! It will be a 490 mile drive (one way). My wife and I will drive there on Friday, December 11th, test drive on Saturday morning, with the plan of purchasing the Borrego. In terms of money, it will cost me about $500 more plus the road trip, including one night in a hotel. I think this will be well worth it to get a Borrego with nearly 70,000 less miles than the 4 Runner, new tires, and all the options we want (plus some).

Looking forward to the road trip!

Dean

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hope the deal works out okay and that you are pleased with it. You will like the V8 combined with the ZF transmission.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi All!

Well we pulled the trigger and bought the Borrego Limited V8 2WD on Saturday. After weeks of Internet research for a tow vehicle for our new to us Casita travel trailer, we put down a $500 deposit to hold the Borrego that was nearly 500 miles south of us in southern Georgia. We left on Friday, spent the night, got up Saturday, did the inspection, test drive, closed the deal, and my wife drove the Borrego home and I drove the Honda Fit. Hmmm.

All went well on the drive home. The Borrego got 22.9 MPG running up to 75 mph at times. Impressed. As mentioned previously, it had 83,500 miles on it. Given that it is a Limited, it is loaded. I have never owned a vehicle with so many bells and whistles. It is in very good shape. Given it is 6 years old, there are a few little reminders here and there that it is used. One of the four roof AC vents is broken. The roof mounted DVD player does not appear to be working. Given that we are soon to be empty nesters, we don't really care about the DVD player, but will still investigate further. Other than that and mild wear and tear, it is GREAT!

I did finally get to drive it today for a little 80 mile jaunt. SWEET! I think it will be a great tug for our Casita. Functional, yet very comfortable with more luxury than we were expecting in a used tug for the price.

Looking forward to being a continued member of this forum.

Dean

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was in the low 80s southern GA on Saturday. Unbelievable for mid-December!!! Made for a great day to drive home despite 500 miles in two vehicles and my poor wife had a nasty cold.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all, first post here. I'm also considering a Borrego as a tow vehicle. Curious to hear what other people have to say about their Borregos in terms of reliability. From my research, Borregos were only available as 2009 models only and discontinued due to poor sales. I'm also curious to hear about owner's experience about parts availability and pricing from a third party vendor (Autozone, etc.) as I'd be doing my own maintenance mostly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi htioki,

I don't think I will be of much help to you. We bought an '09 Kia Borrego Limited V8 2WD in mid December. Based on my research, the Borregos look pretty solid and their one year US run had to do with variables other than reliability. I bought it to tow a new to us '05 Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe travel trailer that we bought in November. The GVWR for the trailer is only 3,500 lbs, so the the Borrego's V8 and tow rating of 7,500 lbs should do well with our little Casita. My budget was around $10,000 to $12,500. I was very interested in a tug that had a little more grunt than older Pilots and Highlanders rated to tow 3,500 lbs. My wife did not want a pickup truck. So, I focused on 4 Runners, GX 470s, Touaregs, and Borregos. I then narrowed it down to 4 Runners and Borregos. The problem is that 4 Runners are so dang good they command a premium price. I found an '07 4 Runner V8 4 WD for a negotiated price of $11,700. Great vehicle, but 167,000 miles. The '09 Borrego was a beautiful with the top of the line Limited trim. New tires and only 83,500 miles for $11,750, plus $389 dealer fee. I had to make a nearly 1,000 mile round trip to get it, but I did! We own an '08 Kia Rondo that has been great vehicle. So, even though I have no long term experience with the Borrego. I am pleased with it based on my research of its reliability and it value. Looking forward to using it in 2016!

Keep us posted on what you decide to do!

Take care,

Dean

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Our requirements are 3rd row seats, it has to fit in our garage, at least 5000 lbs towing capacity, under 120K miles, and if possible I want to stay under $12K. I was researching into Sequoias, Armadas, Trailbazers and Commanders, and I stumbled upon Kia Borregos. So far I like the features and pricing of a Borrego, and just want to do more research on it. There is a few V6s around me and only 1 v8 that is out our price range. I'd like to get a V8 but a v6 may just suit our need just fine. we're looking to get a light weight trailer,no more than 3500 lbs GVWR.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi htioki,

Actually our research and requirements are similar. All Borregos have the 3rd row! As a soon to be empty nester, this was not a requirement, but nice since we had a Rondo and Mazda MPV with 3rd rows. Since the V6s tow 5,000 lbs and the V8s tow 7,500, you are in good shape. Our new to us Casita has a GVWR of 3,500 lbs, so the V6 would have been plenty of grunt, but I was able to find a V8 Limited for about the same price as some V6s. We are similar in our price ranges and I, too, wanted under 120,000 miles. Both of those criteria are doable. I was also looking at a loaded Borrego EX V8 in northern Florida. It only had 68,000 miles (very low) and the price dropped to $10,800, plus $500 dealer markup. Clean Car Fax. I think it hurt it that it was a rental for its first 2 or 3 years. It interested me, but the sales manager was a bit of a jerk and I liked the Limited trim better. Look forward to hearing what you end up doing Borrego or not. Very happy so far with our Borrego.

Take care,

Dean

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Dean,
3rd row is a must for us as it will be replacing our minivan. Even though we're only a family of 4, the van has come in handy when we take our parents out or taking our kids' friends to places.

We checked out and test drove a dark blue V6 today. It has almost 98K miles on it. Wife liked it and it drove well. Third seat space was actually pretty good for adults. The price is decent, but I have reservations about the car. Major service is coming up (spark plugs, fluid change, etc.) and I'm not a fan of dark colors. We already have one black car, which is really hard to keep clean. I think we would end up buying a Borrego, but we may have to wait until the right one comes along.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi htioki,

The 3rd row space is pretty good. Understandably better than in our smaller Rondo. Probably close to our 2000 Mazda MPV in terms of 3rd row room, given the MPV was a smaller van. Hey, our MPV was black. Sharp. Terrible to keep clean! I love our black Borrego, but it will be the same way showing every speck of dust and grime, but gosh it looks good when it is cleaned up, particularly with the shiny chrome wheels! The dealer I bought mine from put on new tires and did most of the servicing. I could not tell from the Car Fax if the differential fluid and cabin filter had been changed, so I had these two things done. We are in good shape. The Navigation software is way out of date. Not sure if I will update it or not, given mobile GPS apps. The dealer will charge $240 to update the navigation or I can do it myself for $149. Our DVD player does not work. I am taking it to a stereo shop to take a peek. Our girls are grown (21 and 18). We don't need a DVD player like we used to, but if it can be fixed inexpensively, I will do it. If not, no big deal.

There will be other good ones at there. Keep shopping and researching and wait for the right one!

Take care,

Dean

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fellow Casita Owner looking for a Borrego

Hello Dean,

I saw your message about towing a Casita with a Borrego. We have a Casita also - a 19' Bunk Bed model so the Kids have a place to sleep. We love it. Up until now we have been towing with a 2005 Sorrento V-6. The Sorento has been a great tow vehicle for the Casita, but now we are looking to get a 2009 Borrego because it has the V-8. I have driven a few before when we went skiing and the rental car company gave us one. We were very impressed.

My question is this - what about getting parts? Have you had any worries about getting parts for a Borrego as they get older?

Dean and anyone else, thanks for any comments or thoughts you might have.

John

·
Registered
5 Posts
We bought our EX V8 Borrego almost 3 years ago with less than 24k miles on it, specifically because we were planning on buying a camper.

In the 3 years we've had it, we've only had one issue. Ours came with a GPS/NAV system radio. The radio/NAV failed about a year ago.

It was not under warranty, but we took it to the dealer and they offered to put in a refurbished GPS/NAV radio for $185 plus labor (total was around $300 or less including an oil change).

The only other recent issue was the trim piece of the windshield separating that I have a separate thread on.

Since buying it the modifications we've done include adding the factory Bluetooth kit (replaces the overhead console in the front), adding ambient light kit, adding a retractable cargo cover in the rear, adding the factory floor cover accessory for the rear cargo area, installing an overhead DVD player, and adding electric brake for the camper.

It was actually purchased as my spouse's daily driver, and every time I ask about it, I'm told it's a dream car, drives beautifully, and the only thing that's a problem is the MPG. We only drive it locally, except on trips, so on the local roads, it gets about 10-12 MPG. On trips, like a recent one to snow country we were able to get 20 MPG. Towing the camper though we got as little as 8 MPG, lots of stops for gas.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hello Dean,

I saw your message about towing a Casita with a Borrego. We have a Casita also - a 19' Bunk Bed model so the Kids have a place to sleep. We love it. Up until now we have been towing with a 2005 Sorrento V-6. The Sorento has been a great tow vehicle for the Casita, but now we are looking to get a 2009 Borrego because it has the V-8. I have driven a few before when we went skiing and the rental car company gave us one. We were very impressed.

My question is this - what about getting parts? Have you had any worries about getting parts for a Borrego as they get older?

Dean and anyone else, thanks for any comments or thoughts you might have.

John
The 2015 Kia Mohave (middle east and euro version of the Borrego) appears to have the same body panels. It is no longer available with the 4.6L V8; however, the 4.6L V8 was available in the Hyundai Genesis until 2013, so engine parts will be available for quite a while. The 6-speed ZF transmission in the V8 has been around for years. BMW and Jaguar have used it, plus the Genesis until 2013.
2015 Kia Mohave review, prices & specs
Used 2012 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 Features & Specs | Edmunds

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
9 Participants
DeanCHS1980
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing