Kia Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
One thing I've already noticed is that all of the bolts I've removed to access t-stat housing seemed loose to me. They were not loose as in slack but only lightly snug. I think the hardware or the expansion/shrinkage of plastic motor accessories is loosening connections/mounting hardware.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It was a leaking seal. And one rear facing nipple looked to be cracked as well. Broke off with me hardly touching it. Not a quality design...they could have of at least used metal nipples. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
191 Posts
T-Stat housing torque in ft/lbs 12.3-14.5 see pic. Plastic= less cost and less weight, two challenges in auto manufacturing.

Capture.JPG

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
896 Posts
Outside Glenwood Springs.

I have some dye but it wouldn't do much good...when the leak springs it sprays coolant everywhere from the coolant overflow bottle fill cap .
Ah, OK. Your initial statement that "9. I noticed just under the front-most head on the driver's side I see coolant percolating around one of the little inset round indentions when the temperature gauge is showing 3/4 to hot or more." made the leak sound far more localized.

"Outside Glenwood" would be a bit of a hike unless we happened to be coming up for a soak. Can't offer any direct help from this side of the Continental Divide! I'm up north of Denver.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
My mistake. I have been calling the "cooling control assembly" the wrong thing maybe, however kia parts now lists it as "cooling assembly-thermostat". That's what it is. It has 4 nuts and 2 bolts that secure it to heads. Kia Parts Now lists it as part number 25620A.

Before removing I checked each bolt/nut and they seemed tight, about 10-15 ft lbs at most.

You happen to have that spec?

Also, I had to order the 2 nipples from kia parts online because both of them were so brittle they broke with light pressure on them. They are $23 each!!!

All parts just under $200. Now if I can get it back in without too much trouble after parts arrive, lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thank you! But isn't it weird how the back fasteners are nearly half the torque of the front fasteners? they are configured the same there are two nuts and a bolt on the back and on the front coolant assembly fasteners to the heads. Just so weird...

21 - 27 of 27 Posts