Kia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What have you guys used to seal up your t-stat gaskets?

Mine is leaking after replacing it, the OEM gasket was some weird metal & rubber gasket I had to peal it off with pliers, the replacement ones are all paper. I used the Felpro one with the red bead of sealant on one side but I didn't know which way to face it so I faced it 'out' towards the outlet. Should I try the other way?

Also do you guys use RTV sealant? A lot of the stuff online was sort of 50/50, some people always use it, others never do. I always used RTV on my old 70's & 80's domestic cars but not sure about these newer import beasts.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
I think you need to flip it if i remember correctly it's been awhile since i did mine. I'd try that. But i seem to remember it was that way and i didn't need any RTV. Good luck

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ronjohn, but it turned out not to be the t-stat that was leaking. It looked like it was, but it was actually the upper radiator hose, it was leaking a trickle down the underside of the water outlet where I didn't see it.
Tighted the crap out of the hose clamp and it's leak free!!

btw, do you know if the temp gauge sensor also trips the cooling fan? or is it another sensor somewhere? I replaced my radiator, t-stat, and sensor and I want to make sure the cooling fan will run correctly.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
As far as i know the ecm makes the fan come on i would assume it's the coolant sensor. good luck with it. What year do you have? http://www.kiatechinfo.com/ for electricial schematics.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey ronjohn, thanks again. It's an '03 Rio. I'll have to wait until it's warmer out, it's just too cold for it to trip at idle right now (can't drive until I finish brakes).

I didn't realize I had logged on with my old account when I posted, Dog = PowerWagon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts