Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
04 Kia Amanti, 05 Kia Amanti, 10 Hyundai Genesis, 99 & 88 Suburban, 01 ES300, 91 E150, 89 S10 Blazer
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installing new front pads and coated slotted rotors, our Amanti developed a shutter when braking. With new rotors, I didn’t expect it. The shimmy was not felt in the steering wheel, but more in the seat, and always vibrated on hard braking. After a visual and cursory inspection, (I looked for an obvious problem, and cursed when I found none) It appeared as though I was going to have to repeat the job. We drive this car at least every week, so I ordered a new set of Max Brakes slotted and drilled rotors from Amazon for front and rear. It was $160 of extra expense, but a good price from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IO996WW/.
Because of the braking pulsation felt in the seat, I added rebuilt front and rear calipers. The front calipers are dual piston with only one chamber, so if the pistons have different resistance to motion, only one will be immediately responsive, applying pressure to either the top or bottom of the brake pad, or unequal pressure on the rotor. This could have created the vibration, and the car won’t stop as fast as it should. Each caliper was only $40 at RockAuto.com. I don’t mind rebuilding calipers, but it appeared that I could buy an entire set of calipers for about $140 more than the cost of the seals. New calipers will save me from having to clean and rebuild the present set. The new calipers were perfectly clean, so I painted them with VHT red caliper paint. Red paint does not make them work better, but will reduce their corrosion, and always make parked cars look faster. After all, I have installed drilled and slotted rotors!.

When installing the rear rotors, I was annoyed to see that the top rubber bushing on the hub carrier was worn out and separated. The hub carrier is very expensive, and to replace or repair it requires its removal from the car. Every link to it must be detached. This Amanti is now 16 years old, so my assumption was that every rubber bushing on the rear suspension was also near the end of its life. I searched for the parts on the internet, and purchased most of them from RockAuto.com because of their availability and reasonable prices for the bushings. The OEM rear trailing arms, the camber links, and the lower control arms with new ball joints were also priced within reason, so I ordered new everything for the rear suspension. Since I was now committed to the suspension replacements, I added the parking brake shoes, and brake hoses.
The shipping on the parts cost 12% of the cost of the parts and delayed the completion of the job by about three weeks. Installation of all of the parts was step by step, a straight forward remove and replace technique. My slow training on the right side allowed for the left side to be a much quicker job. Replacing the torn upper control arm bushing required a 24mm impact socket to be used with a 12 ton Harbor freight hydraulic press. They were both rusted in place. (https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-shop-press-33497.html)The outside diameter of the socket was the matching size to use as a sleeve to force the old bushing out and then press the new bushing in. This procedure requires penetrating oil and a drill powered wire brush to obtain perfect results. A bit of paint around the finished edge of the new bushings should impede the rust that required the use of the press on the old bushing sleeve. When replacing the rear knuckles I noticed that the rubber boots on both lower control arm ball joints were weathered, cracked, and leaking. I painted 2020 on the back of the lower arm to remind me or the next owner when the rear suspension parts were replaced.
It was only the parking brake shoes that required patience and tenacity. Even though I have access to all the correct tools, replacing the shoe retainer springs required great patience. Being exasperated, I ordered a parking brake hardware kit from Amazon so it would be available the next time I worked on a similar Hyundai or KIA.
https://www.amazon.com/Carlson-Quality-Brake-17428-Hardware/dp/B001NY3248

My total parts cost to remove the braking vibration was high, $160 for the rotors, $275 for the calipers and $250 for the rear suspension components, but this repair should last for 100,000 miles, requiring only the replacement of the brake pads. The entire procedure devoured about 40 hours of my time after work, so if I was fairly compensated for my time, the labor on this job could cost $2000 for Amanti owners that cannot swap out the parts themselves. It was a time consuming, expensive procedure, but still cost us less than two car payments on almost any car. When I took the car to the Gladden alignment shop, Jeff discovered that the shaking brake may have damaged the front left lower ball joint. It was bought as an UltraPower K80621, and outlived its one year warranty by 3 months. This will be the last UltraPower anything that I will purchase. The MOOG K80621 ball joint cost another $30 at Advance Auto Parts and couple more hours of labor. After opening the box I discovered that the 80621 was actually a CTR sold by Detroit Axle on Amazon for $10 (https://www.amazon.com/Detroit-Axle-Passenger-10-Year-Warranty/dp/B01A3ZOM6O).
After installing the new ball joint, I intend to drive the Amanti back to Jeff to readjust the front alignment. Realignment will add another $50 to the total cost. I even replaced the incorrect front left brake hose that I installed last year. As I have previously written, I have no idea which Hyundai vehicle the improper hose fits.

Below listed are my actual costs to complete this procedure, which appears to my wife as though I have thrown away another $800 on our 16 year old $1000 Korean car. Our Amanti now drives well, and the all new brakes are effective, smooth and quiet.

Cost of replacing the brake rotors and calipers:

Max Brakes Amazon front kit 78.86
Max Brakes Amazon front kit 81.34
Friction Master parking brake shoes 14.09
2 Rear brake hoses @4.54 9.08
2 rear calipers @33.79 67.58
2 front calipers @43.79 87.58
VHT red caliper paint 9.00
2 Front brake hoses 28.24
$375.77

Cost of replacing rear suspension parts:

2 Moog Trailing arms @ 29.79 59.58
2 sway bar links @8.33 16.66
4 hub knuckle bushings @2.88 11.52
2 adjustment control arms @14.84 29.68
2 ball joint and lower arms @32.79 65.58
$183.02
Total cost of shipping 70.00
$625.85
Additional 2 Front ball joints 50.00
Cost of 2 alignments 100.00
Total cash out of pocket $775.85

·
Registered
04 Kia Amanti, 05 Kia Amanti, 10 Hyundai Genesis, 99 & 88 Suburban, 01 ES300, 91 E150, 89 S10 Blazer
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I neglected to provide the step by step manual for the rear suspension procedure.
I have attached it to this post. The braking chapter is 15MB so it may take time to download. i haven't read it all, i just looked at the pictures.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts